Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We stopped playing Thunderstone because of the extensive setup and takedown time. This is frequently an issue with deckbuilders.

Is this game any better in this regard?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The box insert lends itself to fast setup in that you have 3 card storage slots. One for the player starting decks, one for the common/always available card stacks, and the third for the regular cards that will be a mix of items, people, monsters.

If you take a minute or two at the end of a game to pull the 2-4 starting decks and 3 common stacks (plus goblin), shuffling the regulars is the last card task- either pre- or postgame.

Distributing tokens to the board takes very little time- 5-7 artifacts and a few dozen Major/minor secret tokens. Player Clank! cubes have separate bags for each color. By game's end you'll have the majority of them in a collective space, and a few likely in the dragon's pouch to retrieve.

I keep all secrets in one bag, other treasure in another, and all coins in a third. Overall the token aspect takes the most time in my opinion. As with anything, you get more efficient with practice and devising new methods of component management.

I can't speak to a comparison with Thunderstone but I personally don't feel put out with the setup demands of Clank! Dominion setup is certainly faster but doesn't yield the same type of experience and doesn't feel as thematic overall.

Maybe someone will do a setup video for you, else the "try before you buy" approach comes to mind to avoid frustration.

Clank! doesn't feel like a chore to set up to me, and I have a deck builder that definitely does and it is only cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear there's a useful insert! Does it fit sleeves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Erickson
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
publisher
Covert Spy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coldkorn wrote:
Glad to hear there's a useful insert! Does it fit sleeves?

Yes! Standard card sleeves fit in the insert perfectly.

I can also speak from experience that set up is quick. The decks are easy to separate out due to the insert and the token placement is pretty straight forward. It was much quicker than I thought it would be and didn't detract from the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madelyn C
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very fast set up time as the insert has space for each set of cards. Really room for sleeves and expansions as well.

You have to place tokens on the board, which is quick and set the cards up for dungeon row. Much simpler than most deck building games as you have to figure out which sets of cards go out. The cards are color coded as well so if the starter cards or common purchase cards get mixed in easy to pick them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent O.
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not usually a fan of a lot of chits that have to go in certain locations, so there is a bit of set up time that I find a little annoying.

I don't mind the set up of Dominion, myself. I kinda like plopping down sets of cards. But I know that others find that to be a chore.

To me, setting up all the chits make it seem a little less "clean," but that's my own personal preference/annoyance.

But it is a minor annoyance, because the game is totally worth setting up.

Dominion is the game that really got me into the hobby, so it remains my favorite game, admittedly it might be somewhat of a sentimental choice. No game since has ever had that initial amazement that Dominion brought me, and it probably won't happen again. I was just gaga over Dominion when I first encountered it. I had no idea such things were possible with a non-collectible card game.

So it is bold for me to say that Clank! rivals Dominion for me. I need to get more plays in before I would say such a thing, but, man, do I love Clank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace P.
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the tokens in one of these to keep them sorted and make setup easier. I put it in part of the space for cards, so one stack has to sit on top of the player token bags. I put the gold in a separate container that I keep under the dragon bag.

I plastibanded each starting deck, the mercenary/explore/secret tome cards, and the dungeon deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.