Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Bargaining with the Overlord? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cooley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
So I was thinking about a new rule that can be added to any campaign. I have no idea if it would be balanced or if it would be game breaking. Tell me what you guys think.

So, during the spend XP step of the campaign phase, the heroes may opt to make a deal with the overlord. (don't know if the heroes choose or the overlord choose or if it must be mutual)

The heroes receive an amount of gold. (25,50,100,???) and in exchange, the overlord receives one XP. (or 2 or ??) Limit 1 per quest. (or not..)

I understand that this would require plenty of play testing, but what are the first impressions? Unnecessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think this is will work, simply because hero gold is worth more than overlord XP. Gold buys gear the heroes will always have and can use turn after turn. XP buys cards the overlord gets to use once or maybe even not at all per encounter.

A similar mechanic already exists on the Belthir Plot Card "Cut a Deal", which lets the overlord give the heroes 25 gold for 2 Threat. I tried this in a campaign and the threat never made a difference while I was destroyed over and over again by the Heroes' strong gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well considering that both sides have to agree...I don't see any reason why you couldn't just house rule it. As mentioned above, I've also heard before that gold is very valuable though be careful of underestimating it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.