Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to run a (six-player?) league here at BGG.
Super simple game, just for a bit of fun.

First season, all teams would be unseeded. If we want to play a second season (and beyond) the prior season's league table would determine seeding per the rules.

Figure two matches a week - weekend and midweek - so a season should take only a month or so.

I'm thinking that to give the slightest level of choice and control to the managers that each has 10 "points" to use over the course of a season. Each match a manager can use from 0-3 points to either add that number of goals for their team or reduce the number of goals for the opponent for the match.

Points to be used each week geekmailed to me before matches, and I will add/subtract to each result after using the BGG dice roller to figure the scores. (I'll take a team and either play without using points, or else figure a way to set down my choices for the season in advance so as not to be able to react to others' choices . . .)

Let me know if you're in, and the name of your team in the inaugural BPFL (BGG Paper Football League).

Deadline of 11.59 pm ET Friday, August 19 for new managers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please welcome, former stalwarts of the Stupidly Named Internet Football League, the New York Experiment!
The NYX are the first team announced to form the BPFL and will play at Empire Stadium in Brooklyn.

Who will step up to face them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stockholm Syndrome will join the league, playing in the ABBA Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Do what yhou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - Aleister Crowley
badge
"In the Red Army it takes a brave man not be a hero." - J.V. Stalin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick a team name, Comrade, and you're in!
I have one more confirmed who should post his team name later today . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Klemer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what this is, or how to play, but filial duty has me signing up.

Prepare to do battle with Top Notch Hot Shot Nonstop Hotspurs FC Utd (Ltd), playing in a back room at Brooklyn Brewery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welome, D. Get yerself an avatar!

And you're not even the confirmed manager I referenced above. We could easily start with 5 managed and one unmanaged team, so I'm going to set a deadline of 11.59 pm ET Friday, August 19 for new managers. 6 is not the cap however if we get a few more who want in, and if we end up with an odd number, we'll have one unmanaged side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Nebesnik
United States
Maryland
New York
flag msg tools
I would like to manage the Seattle Reign in the inaugural BPFL. The Reign will play in Skunk Stadium. Special thanks to my good friend Avri for the heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And that's five. Guess I need to start thinking of names for the patsy team . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were already six. If nobody else wants to join, I propose to include the crass underdog team I am managing, the Berlin Bratwursts. Our logo:

Our stadium, the Bratwurst and Beer Bowl (BBB) is a bit difficult to play in, as we are coming from a street football background. But we promise that we go easy on your superstars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Niels. If I wasn't clear for anyone else looking to join, we can keep taking managers until the Friday. Odd or even final number, it makes no difference.

I'm excited to get started!

Still need a team name from
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to join if there's still a spot open in the league.

Team: The Rams' Balls
Stadium: The Slippery Slope
Manager: Drinkson, M. E.

The logo is still being worked on, as this club is mostly amateurs I'm afraid, so the goalkeeper who works in an ad agency hasn't been able to finish it yet. The carpenter might even beat him to it, but we will see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please welcome!!!

Team: The Rendangs
Manager: Mr Nasi Goreng

Rendang is the world’s most delicious food. So prepare the top spot for the Rendangs! Rrrrrrr!!!! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one more who got an email to me yesterday, new to BGG who might need some help signing up. Give me a day or to to work out the schedule, then I'll release the fixtures and let everyone know the final rules and deadlines.

Excited (and a late Spurs winner never hurts . . .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're waiting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up the Swedes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomorrow is my last day upstate at the summer camp where I work (kids left yesterday), so I should be able to have everything in place by the weekend for a midweek kickoff. Maybe September 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiting on one BGGer to confirm he is still in, one non-BGGer to create an account. Either way, the doors lock on August 31.

Each manager will have 1 point per matchday to use throughout the season (6 teams, 10 games = 10 points. 10 teams, 18 games = 18 points.) Before each match the manager can Geekmail the League Commissioner (currently me . . .) indicating how many points will be used and how. Up to 3 points per match may be used to add goals or subtract opposition goals from the result generated by the game engine.

Since I will see all the points used each match, I have provided a schedule of how the New York Experiment will use their points throughout the season to Luke. It means his Stockholm side will have a slight edge when they play New York - call it a designer's advantage - but seems the easiest way to get things started.

If the Commissioner doesn't get instructions before the matchday deadline, the assumption will be that no points are being used in the current game, so the season should just roll along even if managers miss deadlines as the real world intervenes . . .

Questions, comments, concerns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Welcome, Niels. If I wasn't clear for anyone else looking to join, we can keep taking managers until the Friday. Odd or even final number, it makes no difference.

I'm excited to get started!

Still need a team name from
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Commonwealth FC has opened its training facilities in Lexington, KY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting the league forum thread together. Teams and Managers listed, Next up, fixtures.

BGG Paper Football League - Season 1 . . .

Deadline for Geekmailing me instructions for the first game will be 11.59 pm ET on Sunday, September 4. Matchday 1 games to be played on Monday, September 5.

Geekmail Subject line should be "BPFL" followed by your team name (abbreviated if possible / appropriate), then the Matchday number.

The body of the email can be as straightforward as a number between -3 and +3 (or you can just write, "I want to spend 2 points to negate 2 opposition goals this match.") As long as it is unambiguous . . .

So my first instruction might read:

Quote:
Subject: BPFL / NYX / 1
Body: -1

Are you ready for some . . . uh . . . Footy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
18 Matchdays, so each manager will have 18 points to use this season.
I'll add a column to the Table showing points remaining . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
...Up to 3 points per match may be used to add goals or subtract opposition goals from the result generated by the game engine.
Questions, comments, concerns?

Only one question: is there a benefit for substracting opposition goals? For example, if the opposition scores only one goal and does not add anything and I say I negate two opposition goals, one of my points that I used would be pointless (score of -1 is not possible). Whereas I say I want to score two additional goals it will always benefit me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schlupp wrote:
Only one question: is there a benefit for subtracting opposition goals?

I realized this after I first pitched the idea, and figured I would leave it be. The benefit is thematic. The alternative would be something like spending 2 points to score a goal, 1 to negate a goal - too complex at this time for such a simple game.

Perhaps a small incentive to prevent opposition goals would be if the first tie breaker, if points are level, is goals allowed. Let's try that . . .

If we go to a second season, and we find that teams are only using positive points, we can revisit.

(Also, we need another term for the "points" that the manager uses to influences a match to differentiate between the 3 points for a win , 1 for a draw.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
Schlupp wrote:
Only one question: is there a benefit for subtracting opposition goals?

I realized this after I first pitched the idea, and figured I would leave it be. The benefit is thematic. The alternative would be something like spending 2 points to score a goal, 1 to negate a goal - too complex at this time for such a simple game.

Perhaps a small incentive to prevent opposition goals would be if the first tie breaker, if points are level, is goals allowed. Let's try that . . .

If we go to a second season, and we find that teams are only using positive points, we can revisit.

(Also, we need another term for the "points" that the manager uses to influences a match to differentiate between the 3 points for a win , 1 for a draw.)

A few suggestions:
Fix
Grease
Bit
Dot
Notch
Pip
Tick
Pull
Sway
Mark
Credit

I must admit that I like the idea of applying a fix or some grease to the matches...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking something like Influence, but Grease certainly works on more than one level . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.