Hide
7 Posts

Thunder Road» Forums » General

Subject: Another home-made Thunder Road set. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mountain Goat
msg tools
I and a friend decided to have a go at making our own set.

We proceeded to buy some hot wheels and print out the board from 'a straight road' (thanks to the uploader, it was a big help).

The board was glued onto some cardboard and coloured with crayons (it was easiest), the cars were decorated to fit in with the theme.

We use 3 boards during the game. I also made a train hazard to make it a bit more interesting / 3D:

And finally, a war rig:

We've had a lot of fun in the process of making this, and have been modifying the original game rules as we go to make it a bit more strategic and simple. Also we don't have any fliers. Usually the game ends in a nail-biting finish and there have been some epic turnarounds where victory is snatched from the jaws of defeat.

All the stuff (apart from the Corgi truck used in the war rig) has come from Pound World, estimated cost for the board and both teams £15.

If you have any questions, fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Hehe, nice to see how my creation feeds back into its inspiration. Reading

"We (...) have been modifying the original game rules as we go to make it a bit more strategic and simple."

you also might want to try the A Straight Road rules, if you didn't yet, as this was where I started too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mountain Goat
msg tools
marhawkman wrote:
Nice, looks awesome.

Thanks, having heaps of fun! Next might be a campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mountain Goat
msg tools
lee elektrik wrote:
Hehe, nice to see how my creation feeds back into its inspiration. Reading

"We (...) have been modifying the original game rules as we go to make it a bit more strategic and simple."

you also might want to try the A Straight Road rules, if you didn't yet, as this was where I started too.

Thanks, however we're having too much fun making up our own rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O Miller
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really like the rail road tracks! Anything to block that road movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
the train is pretty neat. some of the other ideas I've seen included a narrow bridge over a gorge, a shallow water crossing(the water gives a -1 movement penalty), and a pond which combines aspects of the other two.

Also I made demos:

Ok I don't have demo image of the creek one, but it was a lot like the one with a broken road, but with water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.