Subject: House rules re:spotted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thinking seriously of purchasing....but in looking at reviews of the game,I understand that if an enemy is spotted but unidentified,It is assumed that it is an 88 shooting at you...and as u know,a very lethal weapon.Is my understanding correct?
IMO,a bit unfair and wondering if anyone has come up with some sort of house rule that allows the possibility of other weapons firing ? like perhaps adding numbers to the enemy weapons available and rolling dice for the outcome?or any other variation?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
Damn fine soldiers, Cottonbalers by God! -- US 7th Infantry Regiment
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great solitaire game -- I hope you give it a try. You are correct that all ATGs are 88s and tanks are Tigers until identified. This rule is in place to encourage players to ID the enemy as soon as possible.

In my experience the rule is good and forces you to think and act like the Sherman crews in WWII. The enemy ATGs and Tigers target the player's tank only a percentage of the time and there are tactics to mitigate the threat a bit if you do become a target, i.e. move, pop smoke, etc to reduce the chance being hit.

I recommend that you try the game first though before trying to alter the rules. If you don't like the ID aspect, then house rule it as you like. After all it is a solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah...makes sense...haven't even played it and I am trying to,change the rules...must have a set of brass ones like.....err..Patton?
Thanks..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Steve,
BTW...just purchased off e bay..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Hope you have a blast with it (pun intended).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fliss
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

If you haven't tried Nigel Hodge's Guderian's Best variant download on BGG you might want to print and play, it is a lot of fun. It is Patton's Best from the German perspective on the Eastern Front. Here is the link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83185/guderians-best-v3

It is based on D6 and 2D6 rather than D10 and D100 as with PB, but plays well -- the basic mechanics are very similar to PB. I'm playing a campaign now that started in June '41 and have made it to the last week of November. The commander is a Leutnant with the Iron Cross 2nd Class, but the going is getting much tougher now with snow falling and stiffer Soviet resistance as he and his very experienced Pz-IIIE crew continue Guderian's drive to encircle Moscow. Their hoard of HVAP is dwindling and T-34s are waiting in the wings!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The enhancement to the firepower of unspotted units (whereby tanks are assumed to be Tigers and AT guns are assumed to be 88s) is a reflection of the fact that an unspotted unit is inherently more dangerous. Even though the tank might only be a Panzer IV, if its crew know that they haven't been seen then they can take their time, load an AP round and then aim for your ammo stores. The same crew, once panicked and underfire themselves is going to be inherently less dangerous. I recommend you play the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Steve...thanks for the link.....never could wrap my head around " being the enemy" ...was a young lad when WW2 was raging...(I am in my low 80s)and all the movies and propaganda really sunk in...but,since the price is right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Steve(Reggie).. Yes,I agree after the points made by you posters..following the rules as printed would definitely fit into the "Fog of War"category..
Thanks all ..looking forward to playing the game as well as seeking your guidance in the future..
Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

being a bit late to the discussion, but I can see the other chaps have put your mind to rest!

It really is a great game...

I also had a similar problem with the whole ´88 Flak Unless Spotted' gymick until I read (I think...) Ken Tout's book on his days as a Sherman commander. (Or it could have been Paul Fussel's 'War Time')

Every shot fired at them from an unspotted anti-tank gun or tank was instantly believed to be an 88 or Tiger, almost to panic levels...

Getting your eyes on the offending weapon platform is a must!

And you never know, it might actually be an 88!

Happy Hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.