Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Elder Sign: Grave Consequences» Forums » General

Subject: Do phobias affect negatively game balance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, phobias are not terrible, you heal all your sanity and get a condition which will make you lose 1 sanity in a given circumstances. True, you still add one doom, but you do not lose your character or anything he/she has... This seems to make characters with higher sanity a less viable choice than those with high vitality... or am I missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. A phobia-afflicted character is probably less useful than a fresh character with full stamina and starting items, even though they may have some items, trophies, skills and/or memberships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I don't think so. A phobia-afflicted character is probably less useful than a fresh character with full stamina and starting items, even though they may have some items, trophies, skills and/or memberships.

Why is that character less useful? Last game I got a phobia that meant I was to lose 1 sanity each time someone else got a phobia. This did not happen and the phobia had zero negative effect, it only prevented me from losing a lot of useful items... On the other hand losing all my vitality would still have very serious consequences.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it entirely depends on the game state, mainly on what items the character has collected. There are items and item combinations (allies that give extra dice or spells that synergize with the character ability) that make a character much more powerful than it was with starting items - that coupled with a phobia that doesn't come up often in the current game can mean that a character with phobias is more powerful than a fresh one.

On the other hand, a character that has exhausted their resources would benefit the players more if it was dead indeed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember too, that while a phobia-afflicted character sticks around with recovered sanity, they still rack up doom for bugging out, so there remains an important use for high sanity. Overall, I don't worry too much about "balance" in this storytelling engine--what phobias do is create more narrative continuity, which I can only see as a good thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Remember too, that while a phobia-afflicted character sticks around with recovered sanity, they still rack up doom for bugging out, so there remains an important use for high sanity. Overall, I don't worry too much about "balance" in this storytelling engine--what phobias do is create more narrative continuity, which I can only see as a good thing.

True, and I like phobia by themselves, just comparing them to losing all stamina I feel that suddenly stamina seems more important and full of "grave consequences", vanilla elder sign treated both attributes equally.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of played the game with just the phobias? If you die from stanima, it is still like the vanilla game? That way dying from stamina to 0 wouldn't be so horrible and you wouldn't tilt the game in favor of high stamina investigators.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
Have any of played the game with just the phobias? If you die from stanima, it is still like the vanilla game? That way dying from stamina to 0 wouldn't be so horrible and you wouldn't tilt the game in favor of high stamina investigators.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Even playing with all the expansion modules when stamina reaches zero you die and it is fairly similar to vanilla, graveyard changes things just a little, but not in a major way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliminating the penalty after effects by having a vanilla death is what i mean. That would make it less painful for someone dying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Duglis wrote:
Eliminating the penalty after effects by having a vanilla death is what i mean. That would make it less painful for someone dying.

Ok, but why a penalty? Actually some after death effects are beneficial for the players.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.