13 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Have anybody ever felt this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let me start from the beginning. I Bought Eldritch Horror not long after it was released, maybe three years ago. I was so hyped and excited when I got it in my hands. So I started playing it. The first play experience was shrouded by missed rules or just too much back and forth between the game and reference book to be a great experience.

So I took another go after I get a better grasp at the rules... and, nothing. I felt like I was just chucking dice and doing tests. The story didn't make sense, the encounters felt too random. I thought to myself, I have got to be playing this game with the wrong mindset.

So I go at it again and again. I mean, I love the setting, I love ameritrash, why on earth I can't get my brain to click with this game. Losing seems frequent (which I definitely have no problem) and winning feels anti-climactic. After another ten to twelve try, I give up. Maybe this game wasn't for me. I went on with my life.

Fast forward to last week, I heard Arkham Horror LCG was announced. My first reaction was I'm gonna hate this like I hate Eldritch horror. But I kept my eyes on it, read the FFG news and watching team covenant's play overview. Interesting, but I think theme would be wasted on me because finding correlation of a theme in a board game doesn't seem to be my thing.

But for some reason, I put my copy of Eldritch horror on the table again and give it a go. Some rules still sticks and I only need to peek a little through the rules when in doubt.

I was so surprise that I'm having a blast playing Mark Harrigan against azathoth. The story the game told is chaining together nicely and the finale was a nail biter. Before the last mythos card I managed to solve the last mystery, but the reckoning forces a mythos card that force you to discard expedition cards cost me the game.

Mark had his revenge and took the whole world with him. Epic.

Hey, maybe it's a fluke. So the next day I pick Yog shogoth to pick a bone with. Now with Norman and Trish. Again, It tells a compelling story, a ton of bad rolls and the board was littered with monsters and gates. The doom was at 2, down to last mystery, two rumors are active. No way to win the game. As Norman almost went insane, a priest blessed him and give him a tiny hope of succeeding the last round and he delivers. The GOO was defeated.

I was baffled. How come a game I didn't like, (mind you, I gave it a ton of chance and still didn't like it then) now seems like a generous story machine. The mechanics between investigators working hand in hand mitigates the luck factor, even when I got many fails. I was never the kind of player that thinks about strategy much, I just play by the rules, never minding about winning or losing.

My only problem was the reckoning trigger bogs the game down. I found myself losing track of what to do when checking all the reckoning. Have I done the monsters? The conditions, the rumor, the blessings, etc. Apart from that, everything are super sweet.

What I wanna ask is, is it just me or there are some/many of you that hate a game at first and love it much much later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
For me, that was Robinson Crusoe.

Maybe it had to do with the bad rulebook.

But once you learn the rules, it's easier to get into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reckoning isn't so bad. Don't forget you check them in order, so just check all the monster tiles first, then the goo and then investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
The reckoning isn't so bad. Don't forget you check them in order, so just check all the monster tiles first, then the goo and then investigators.

The order is easy to keep track of, but I do feel that the worst part of EH is the latter part of the game when reckoning happens. Having to handle seven different monster reckonings and 10 different possession reckoning can get fiddly/tedious.

Not sure how to fix this but its definitely a beef I have with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is similar too. I think it has to do with all the random elements of the game. Sometimes it fits like magic and is a wonderful experience. Sometimes it's such a crap shoot it ruins the experience of the game.

For a more steady, immersive Arkham game, I'd recommend Mansions of Madness: Second Edition. Very specific stories with some random elements, highly thematic (and fun).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
Sindriss wrote:

The order is easy to keep track of, but I do feel that the worst part of EH is the latter part of the game when reckoning happens. Having to handle seven different monster reckonings and 10 different possession reckoning can get fiddly/tedious.

Not sure how to fix this but its definitely a beef I have with the game.

My issue with it is that AFTER handling all the monsters, possessions and all the other things you are not even done! Afterwards there is still a gate to spawn, a mythos flavor to read and punish the players even more with mean mean things. It just takes so long...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo D'Ulisse
Italy
ROMA
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with Mage Knights... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

My issue with it is that AFTER handling all the monsters, possessions and all the other things you are not even done! Afterwards there is still a gate to spawn, a mythos flavor to read and punish the players even more with mean mean things. It just takes so long...

Yeah, sometimes after I resolve all of the reckoning, I double check again and then I forgot to read the event on the Mythos card.

But, again, only a small problem for me. Then again, I was playing solo, so everything was quite manageable. But I can only imagine if you play four to six player game, It could be quite a chore and immersion breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
For me, that was Robinson Crusoe.

Maybe it had to do with the bad rulebook.

But once you learn the rules, it's easier to get into the game.

collezionista wrote:
I had a similar experience with Mage Knights...

I wonder if it got something to do with every game that tries to tell a story. The first couple of game is clunky because of rules familiarization, that distract you from the story?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cali _Gozer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup, I hear ya there. I play this game solo pretty often using 3 investigators.

Not only did it take a bunch of play-throughs to finally get the hang of the rules, but I found myself constantly forgetting who's turn it was, what action they might still have left, and more.

I developed a way of keeping track of the game to help remember this and allow me to come back to the game should I need to step away for a bit.

First, I keep the lead investigator token on a stand and place it on the character card. I also place a +1 Observation token on a stand directly on top of the investigators card who's turn it is. +1 is first action, +2 is 2nd.

Directly on the left of the Assets section, I place three tokens along the base of the board; +1 Strength, +1 Observation, and +1 Lore. I use these to signify the Action (strength), Encounter (observation), and Mythos (lore) phases. I push the token of the current phase up.

When the +1 Observation token comes back to the Lead Investigator, then I push the token up for which phase it is, and reset the previous.

Obviously the first time you do this it can seem like a lot of extra work, and you will often forget - just like the rules. But after a while, it becomes 2nd nature and helps me for speedier games as well as allows me to focus on strategy rather than who's turn it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My initial hold-up with Eldritch Horror was the... randomness... to the encounters. Whilst each was thematic and enjoyable to experience, they didn't fit together in a cohesive way, and as such the "story" of the game was all over the place.

That all passed and I enjoy it a hell of a lot more now, as I think of the game like your favourite TV show; you don't see everything that happens to the protagonists, but just key parts of the story that drive the narrative along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:

A digital version of the game would be so nice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've experienced this learning process in other things. If concentrate on something for a while (the equivalent of 12 plays of EH) and then put it on the back burner for a while, sometimes the learning really sinks without any more effort.

Something similar happens when I am working very productively on programming. Almost all the good ideas come to me in my sleep. I go to sleep with a problem in my head and I wake up with the answer. Night after night.

I think a lot goes on in our subconscious. I often think our subconscious is like a deep ocean and our conscious is just the ripples on the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.