Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Aedui Bot Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So currently I am working on developing an app / script which will automatically play the Aedui non-player for you. The script tracks resources / pieces available and the status of each region etc.

I have a handful of questions regarding the Aedui bot, which is slowing down my development - rather than the lack of being able to know how to program

The questions might sound dumb - but my hope is that between answers here and myself muddling through the playbook - we can get there together as a community.

My thoughts is to use this thread to cover the main 4 Commands and 3 Special Commands for Aedui. In return for your help on this thread, I return the favour with a quicker route to being able to publish.... i will then hopefully repeat for the next non-player bot.

My other thread on the actual development can be found here http://boardgamegeek.com/article/23452361#23452361

Please be aware these questions are based around BOT options, which are sometimes different to a human-player. So the answers should be biased towards the BOT. It may be as simple as mentioning the [x.y.z] number in the instructions/playbook.

I am going to break this thread down into :

Remember these are from the AEDUI Bot point of view (unless stated).

====BATTLE====
Attacker is Aedui - 8 warbands
Defender is Arverni - 1 citadel, 5 warbands, 1 leader, 1 ally

Q1. How would the Arverni bot player decide to retreat or not?

Let's say Arverni decide not to retreat, so we move to Step 3: Attack on the Battle Procedure.

Defender Arverni has 1 Citadel (so half Losses will be made)

Q2. On step 3 of Battle Procedure, how would the Aedui bot decide if at this stage it is an Ambush or not ?

Let's continue - with No Ambush option, to keep things simple.

Let's calculate losses:
Arverni is NOT defending against Caesar or Ambiorix so:
A = 8 Aedui warbands * 0.5 = 4

B = Aedui has no leader = 0

Total losses to Arverni = A + B = 4 + 0 = 4
However the defender also has the Citadel, so 4 / 2 = 2 losses.

Q3. Does everyone agree with the above ?

So we have to remove 2 Arverni piece's.

First we lose the Ally.
Second we role to see if the Citadel is lost 1-3 it's remover 4-6 it stays.

Q4. If we rolled a 4, the piece remains. Would we roll to see if a leader / warband is removed? Or is it tough luck, the roll failed and the removal opportunity is lost?

Next we counterattack.

Let's calculate losses:
Aedui is defending against Arverni so:
A = 5 Arverni warbands * 0.5 = 2.5

B = Arverni has 1 leader = 1

Total losses to Aedui = A + B = 2.5 + 1 = 3.5
which we need to round down to 3
Aedui does not have a Citadel, so defender takes normal loses of 3

Aedui only has Warbands, so 3 are lost.

Not a good battle for Aedui

All Warbands (regardless of side) are revealed.

Q5. With regards to an Ambush, what is the negative affect to the attacker? When would you decide NOT to take an ambush.

Q6. If we were playing BOT v BOT here Aedui v Arverni - how would we decide if the Arverni were going to attempt a retreat ? As part of the Ambush logic - covers the fact that they might retreat. Or do we calculate if a Retreat out would lessen removals?

Finally for the minute, can I simply the above in any shape or form for Bots?

Thanks for the help towards the work I am putting into the Bot app.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
To begin, I'd like to point out that Aedui would NOT Battle with your example. (Not going to remove enough to affect the Ally, Citadel, or Arverni Leader.)

A1: 8.4.3 gives instructions on Retreat for non-players. In your example Arverni would NOT Retreat. (Aedui Battle won't remove their last piece, and they have a Citadel.)

A2: 8.6.2 AMBUSH. Only if Arverni Retreat would lessen removals or they could Counterattack and cause Losses to Aedui forces.

A3: Everything mentioned above is kosher.

A4: First, this removal order only applies if Arverni elected to Retreat. If they did, then you would only get 1 roll on the Citadel. That took one of the Losses (even though it was not removed.) If there were more Losses, you would roll again until you ran out of Losses or the Citadel was removed.

A5: There is no negative affect to the Attacker (aside from maybe ending up Revealing all their Warbands). It just provides a way for the Attacker to keep from suffering a Counterattack and preventing Retreat.

A6: Your first question states that the Battle is bot v. bot. If it wasn't, you'd look at whether a player could actually Retreat into a valid space. That wouldn't necessarily lessen removals though, since there is a Citadel in the Region.

Last question: All the Gallic bots will work the same here. Roman-bot is slightly different. They'll Retreat if it helps reduce Losses afflicted to Legions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
autonm wrote:

====BATTLE====
Attacker is Aedui - 8 warbands
Defender is Arverni - 1 citadel, 5 warbands, 1 leader, 1 ally

If this is the only potential Battle space, the Aedui won't Battle at all since they're not sure to inflict a Loss on either the Ally, the Citadel or Vercingetorix (and not on any Legion either, obviously). They would inflict Losses on the Citadel and Ally if the Arverni decide to Retreat, but not if the Arverni stay and fight.

IOW, the fact that the Aedui even consider fighting a Battle in this space means that there is at least one other Battle space where they are guaranteed to inflict a Loss on an Ally, Citadel, Leader or Fort.

Quote:
Q1. How would the Arverni bot player decide to retreat or not?

By applying rule 8.4.3 Non-player Retreat: if Retreating would save at least one piece from being removed and would not cause any removal in itself (i.e., all survivors have somewhere to Retreat to). In your example they'll have plenty of pieces left after the Aedui attack, so won't Retreat.

Note that the Aedui need to declare whether or not they Ambush before the Arverni get to think about Retreating (since an Ambush would make it impossible to Retreat).

Quote:
Let's say Arverni decide not to retreat, so we move to Step 3: Attack on the Battle Procedure.

Defender Arverni has 1 Citadel (so half Losses will be made)

Q2. On step 3 of Battle Procedure, how would the Aedui bot decide if at this stage it is an Ambush or not ?

The decision to Ambush must be made no later than the start of step 2 of the Battle Procedure, since it affects the Defender's ability to Retreat.

- Are the Aedui already Ambushing in another Battle space this Command? If yes, no Ambush is possible in this one; otherwise continue.
- Do they have more Hidden units than the enemy? If not, Ambush is not possible here; otherwise continue.
- Would a Retreat reduce the number of enemy pieces removed, and/or would the Counterattack remove Aedui pieces? If yes, Ambush in this Battle space; otherwise save the option to Ambush in another space instead.

Quote:
Let's continue - with No Ambush option, to keep things simple.

Let's calculate losses:
Arverni is NOT defending against Caesar or Ambiorix so:
A = 8 Aedui warbands * 0.5 = 4

B = Aedui has no leader = 0

Total losses to Arverni = A + B = 4 + 0 = 4
However the defender also has the Citadel, so 4 / 2 = 2 losses.

Q3. Does everyone agree with the above ?

So we have to remove 2 Arverni piece's.

First we lose the Ally.
Second we role to see if the Citadel is lost 1-3 it's remover 4-6 it stays.

No we don't, since you said above that the Arverni decided NOT to Retreat. If there's no Retreat (and no Roman Siege), Allies and Citadels are only removed after all other Defending pieces are gone. This Battle therefore removes two Arverni Warbands.

Quote:
Q4. If we rolled a 4, the piece remains. Would we roll to see if a leader / warband is removed? Or is it tough luck, the roll failed and the removal opportunity is lost?

If a Loss roll fails, that Loss has been absorbed without removing any piece. In this example there won't be any Loss rolls though.

Quote:
Next we counterattack.

Let's calculate losses:
Aedui is defending against Arverni so:
A = 5 Arverni warbands * 0.5 = 2.5

No, 3 Arverni Warbands for 1.5 Loss.

Quote:
B = Arverni has 1 leader = 1

Total losses to Aedui = A + B = 2.5 + 1 = 3.5
which we need to round down to 3
Aedui does not have a Citadel, so defender takes normal loses of 3

Aedui only has Warbands, so 3 are lost.

2, not 3. If they would have taken 3 Losses ftom the Counterattack but only inflicted 2, they would only initiate a Battle in this space if they could Ambush here to prevent the Counterattack.

Quote:
All Warbands (regardless of side) are revealed.

Q5. With regards to an Ambush, what is the negative affect to the attacker? When would you decide NOT to take an ambush.

The negative side is that it uses up the Special Ability, and that the Aedui are only able to Ambush in one space per Command (unlike the Arverni and Belgae). If the Aedui don't need to Ambush, they will Trade instead - much more lucrative.

Quote:
Q6. If we were playing BOT v BOT here Aedui v Arverni - how would we decide if the Arverni were going to attempt a retreat ?

Didn't you already ask that in Q1 above??

Quote:
Finally for the minute, can I simply the above in any shape or form for Bots?

I don't understand this sentence. Please clarify?

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, now I understand the last question. No, you can't apply the exact same logic as-is to the other Gaul bots; they have different conditions for Ambushing, and sometimes calculate the Losses inflicted differently as well.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.