Subject: Worth getting for 4 or 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Mercado
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I can consistently get out 4 players and occasionally 6. The premise of the game sounds fantastic, but I don't know if it would be worth dishing out the money for when I can rarely get 8 players.

People who have played with less that 8, what has your experience been like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 6 is fine though it slows things down as the Captain has 2 roles. I wouldn't play with less than that though. With 4 you have to do turn by turn and that should be used only for training sessions. The real fun is the real time version. It might work, but I'd try it if you can before committing to a purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think six works great as long as your engineer is good at communicating with the captain. If the radio operator and engineer can do everything they can to lighten the captain's load then its a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordan sinclair

California
msg tools
mbmb
Played a few games over the weekend with only 4 players. We played in real time with each captain playing 3 roles. The games lasted under 20 minutes, so I'd say it's actually faster with less people.

I can imagine more players causing more chaos due to increased communication requirements. With the captain running the majority of the ship, the captain can do most of the thinking on his own and be more strategic in planning.

We all had a blast. Surfacing is stressful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I think 6 is fine though it slows things down as the Captain has 2 roles. I wouldn't play with less than that though. With 4 you have to do turn by turn and that should be used only for training sessions. The real fun is the real time version. It might work, but I'd try it if you can before committing to a purchase.

You can play simultaneous with 4 players ! You need some training first, as the Captain will also play the first mate and the engineer, but it works fine !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerrod Warr
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And FWIW, my wife and I have played 2 player under the turn-based system and we had a great time. The roles are manageable enough that I think teams of 2 could play them in the real-time mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mercopparis wrote:
And FWIW, my wife and I have played 2 player under the turn-based system and we had a great time. The roles are manageable enough that I think teams of 2 could play them in the real-time mode.

That's dedication, right there! What was the two-player experience like? Like chess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4ntonio wrote:
mercopparis wrote:

That's dedication, right there! What was the two-player experience like? Like chess?

More like Battleship. thank you thank you. I am here all week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Fischbein
United States
Sacramento
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays great at 6. I actually prefer playing the Captain and the First mate, and don't find it much more challenging, since it doesn't really change the things you need to think about (you just need to remember to check the boxes as the First Mate), and it also cuts down on communication overhead. I've played six games with uneven teams (3 vs. 4) and the score was 3-3 - so it worked out pretty evenly!

Highly recommended at 6-8, but any fewer than that you'd probably need to go turn-based or slow things down a lot, which isn't nearly as fun. In my opinion the turn-based mode is really just a learning mode (unless you're playing with two and doing everything at once...)

Enjoy!

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game look so cool! I just don't know that I'll ever get a group of 6 together to play....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Helms
msg tools
In short: yes; feel comfortable buying it for a party of 6.

At length: We just got done with a night of 6plyr (3 games). The ages ranged from my 7 year-old daughter (engineer) to my 70 year old father (radio operator), and including my mother, wife, and son.
Six players works just fine. My mom and dad don't game and both liked it a good bit. My 10 year-old son (playing the captain and first mate) loved it. My daughter took a quick second to get used to it, but by game two was humming right along barking out directions needed to fix her systems.
My darling wife (the other captain) rates it amongst her favorite party games. I agree; it's a fantastic game and more accessible than Resistance/Werewolf and Space Cadets. So, for us, six was absolulty enjoyable - every game.

Eight would be better, we all agreed. There would simply be more of what we liked with six (the communication/miscommunication) and thus that much more fun.

Four, on the other hand? I'm just not sure I would bother. This game would lose a lot at four and there are plenty of four player games, so...why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Jordan
msg tools
Just bought the game Wednesday and played three times with 5, we had a blast playing turn-by-turn and real time. I played on the smaller 2-player team all three games, twice as the radio and once as Captain/Engie/First Mate. I personally had a hard time juggling the three roles in real time. My friend actually did a great job. I can't wait until we can play again with any number!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.