Hazel Cashmore
msg tools
Hi all. I was hoping there would be someone who could give me suggestions. I was hoping to find a way to make a custom character for my husband for Zombicide (preferably black plague). I wanted to get both the character card and game piece made. I have never done anything like this before though and am not artistic at all so I wanted ideas for how to go about this. Any help would be massively appreciated! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing it well, basically you would need an illustrator to make the card art, a graphic designer for the card template,and a sculptor for the miniature. (in some cases, the same person might be capable to do the 3 things. Or two, or just one.)Prices vary a lot, but among indie authors not yet super famous, you might find quotes like 60 - 100$ for the character card art, 300-500 for the miniature modeling, and the graphic design for the card, well, it'd surely be based on the existing card from the game...it might mean a discount, but usually is not rare to see prices for this sort of design going from 50 to 120 for indy projects (and quite less templates created as modifications of a first one), depending on the design's complexity, detail, finishing, etc. I know some people charge more in this 3 categories, but am of the opinion that those are the ok ranges for indy projects.(is my opinion and line of doing, but to each his own..)

Or, being for what it is, you could go the cheaper way: purchase a zombie miniature somewhere, on those online shops that have tons of miniatures, each for around 15 - 30$. For the card art, you might as well find in some stock art website a zombie illustration that suits your needs. Again, also very cheap, too (like in all stock art, the good ones are mor expensive). And only pay custom work for someone doing the card design replication, mounting the character art from the stock place, and preparing the file for some print company. The issue with this cheaper way is that rarely you would get something integrating seamless in that game, meaning, not seen as a mismatch in everything (style, color, quality,mood , theme, etc, etc). If a designer-illustrator-modeler (or a professional of each area) creates it for you, it would not be something that could be uploaded to any place, for obvious copyright and other rights issues. At any web or online place, it might be put down in no time.

The miniature would require to be sent to some 3D printing company, like shapeways, Modler, etc. Modler is expensive but provides very high quality. I am not fully sure, but maybe something like this could cost to be print like 50 to 80$,probably the later. In shapeways is much much cheaper if is printed in "Frosted Extreme Detail", (not sure right now, but maybe around 20 $) but that material requires manual work from you or someone good at that. Polishing it a bit, or just a fast acetone bath could do the trick, but there are several steps where you could wreck the model if you are not careful. They have a newer material, requires close to nothing (apart from cleaning with water and a a bit of soap, I think) , called Acrylate. Frosted needs painting to look just ok, while Acrylate looks good right away. Anyway, if you need the zombie mini to be painted, and you don't know how to do it properly, that's more of an issue. And only thing would be to get someone local to do the job. There are studios that can do it for you, but you need to send them the mini, they paint it, and send back to you: Slow and expensive, as I did check (actually to see prices for me to do it as a service to others) prices for that not long ago.

Is an expensive gift, it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.