Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned this game for a long time and I always fondly remember it. However, I rarely play nowadays. I realize that one of my complaints (and a reason that I don't suggest it) is that the proxy fights are just too nasty. The problem is that if you are the target of proxy fights more than other players, then you are pretty much out of the game. I dislike games where multiple people can gang up on a player to remove them from the game.

My problem with proxies in Venture is that the target of the proxy fight gets no compensation for their loss. You would think that a player should get paid for the company that they lost by the "purchasing" player, but with the payment structure of Venture, it is not really feasible. To counteract this, I suggest that:

At the end of the turn, after the current player has drawn their cards and before processing profit cards, any player who is the target of a proxy will draw 2 cards (from the "money" deck) for each proxy card played against him. After all players have been compensated, then any/all profit cards will be processed.

I have not tested this variant, but will do so in my next play (which might be a while because it comes out rarely in our group). If you do try it, let me know how the game turns out.

One potential problem with the variant is that profits might get triggered much more quickly in a big proxy fight.

Another potential problem is that the compensation is too good. If this is the case, the compensation can be dialed down to 1 card (or maybe only 2 cards if a 1/2 proxy is used).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't fix what ain't broke. Attacking the little guy is not smart play. Play smarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.