Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having neglected Scythe's solo mode for a week or more, I decided to rejoin the fray. I got out my trusty dice to select factions and player mat. I got Patriotic Crimea, with Saxony as my opponent, none of which were good omens for me. I've previously lost this matchup (Crimea v Saxony), and I never feel like I can get a good rhythm going with the Patriotic board. It felt like a good combination with Crimea's starting hexes, so I tried not to let a little bad history deter me.

I opened with some early trading and producing to get up to 5 workers and my first Enlist (the Enlist Recruit, of course, going on the combat card bonus, of course). Saxony meanwhile never skipped a beat, quickly gaining the ability to cross water and threatening my territory. Before I could even get off my peninsula, they struck. I was able to repel their mech due to a lucky draw for their combat choices.

I worked to get a pile of iron and get more mechs out to protect my land from the surging Saxons. Before I could finish that task however, Saxony struck again, this time sending my mech and worker packing to their adjacent home territory (this despite stealing a 4 from my Scout ability). Licking my wounds, I decided to rebuild and recover my lost power for a couple turns (and snag an easy objective for having 3 villages), hoping Saxony would choose to treat me as a non-threat and not press their advantage. This was to my benefit, and I was shortly able to re-take the hex next to my home base with a pair of mechs.

At this point, the automa had moved the star track every single turn, and we were neck and neck on stars. Looking into the horizon, I saw two paths. One path was familiar, building up resources and popularity and building some structures (in a line, to satisfy the structure bonus card), and hoping the automa wouldn't harass me along the way. This was Saxony I was dealing with, however. The other path was more direct. I could take a few somewhat inefficient turns, but with the payoff being I could place stars in rapid succession. My popularity would be next to nothing, and the final score would be very close, but I didn't like my chances otherwise, especially relying on Saxony not playing aggressive.

I went for it, getting stars for placing all my workers and enlisting all my recruits to go with my 2 combat stars, objective star, and mech star. Saxony meanwhile refused to slow down, never once drawing a card that didn't move the star tracker. Final money started to roll in. We were almost even on stars, and even on territories controlled. I got a few scant coins for leftover resources, and had failed to build even a single structure. I could feel it was very close, and I refused to let my eyes wander to the piles to tally the coins, simply dropping them in the general vicinity.

I began counting, and groaned in agony when I saw matching 20s on each side, figuring the automa had pulled it out, only to realize that my leftover coin was a 3, while Saxony's was a 1. I'd won, $63 to $61. Credit to the Patriotic board. I went for the bottom-row actions that provided the most money and ignored the one that gave me none. That and those scant few resources at the end made the difference!

I made a few errors along the way, both in choices I made (forgetting to use combat cards for resources a couple times and then refusing to let myself take it back), and in following the rules (I ALWAYS forget to give/take a combat card when someone loses combat), but it was such a tense game, and played at such a break-neck pace (never once in the entire game did the automa fail to draw a card that moved the star tracker), that it was a terrific session, and a vivid reminder of why I love Scythe's solo mode. I join in with those giving kudos to
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
and the rest of Automa Factory for their terrific work on the automa. As someone who can't play games with others as often as I'd like, their work is truly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words, it's great to hear that solo players are enjoying Scythe.

RustyBaker wrote:
Saxony meanwhile refused to slow down, never once drawing a card that didn't move the star tracker.

Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I am also enjoying the automa so far. I was wondering (question for Morten if he cares to answer ) if the fact that it has been confirmed that separate automa decks will be released for sale (thus allowing several simultaneous automa players) means that there will be some sort of official multi-automa rules version for scythe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
Nice review. I am also enjoying the automa so far. I was wondering (question for Morten if he cares to answer ) if the fact that it has been confirmed that separate automa decks will be released for sale (thus allowing several simultaneous automa players) means that there will be some sort of official multi-automa rules version for scythe..

At this point there are no plans to do further work on the multi-automa rules - but from the reports I'm seeing it works fine as is . Originally we didn't plan on selling extra Automa decks, but we got a lot of requests asking us to do it and so there was no reason not to .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
(question for Morten if he cares to answer )

I care . I try to answer all Automa related questions posted on BGG. If I miss one, then I appreciate getting a geekmail with a link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.