$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Hypothetically, what mythology would you like to see Eric Lang do next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in interviews about Rising Sun, Eric mentioned he wants to do a series of games based on different mythologies, with Blood Rage (Norse) being the first, and Rising Sun (Japanese) being second.

What mythology would you want to see next?
Poll
What mythology do you want to see Eric do next?
Greek
Roman
Egyptian
Mesopotamian
Indian
Arabian
Celtic (Irish)
Native American
Australian (Aboriginal/Dream Time)
Christian (Dante's Divine Comedy, Angels, Demons, etc.)
Other (Specify in your reply)
      144 answers
Poll created by agentkuo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No love for Chinese or Persian mythology?

Sidenote: why do "Greek" and "Roman" and "Arabian" and "Mesopotamian" get split while "Native American" and "Australian" both get diverse cultures lumped together? And are we just entirely ignoring sub-Saharan Africa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Islam. I love the drawings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Oliveira
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Yoruba, as they are part of the origins of Brazilian religions and I don't think they receive as much attention as they deserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally - Canadians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
Personally - Canadians.

Though I wish it were otherwise, Canadians are no myth, my friend. These eyes have seen the vast frozen hinterlands, and despaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
No love for Chinese or Persian mythology?

I couldn't include everything, obviously. But "Other" includes those.

Quote:
Sidenote: why do "Greek" and "Roman" and "Arabian" and "Mesopotamian" get split while "Native American" and "Australian" both get diverse cultures lumped together?

Because it would make the list ridiculously long to name every individual Native American tribe/people.
Quote:
And are we just entirely ignoring sub-Saharan Africa?

Yes, we are. Nobody wants to hear about Sub-Saharan African Mythology...but seriously, we're not ignoring it, clearly you're not, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welsh please. It is the pantheon I worship as a Wiccan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
agentkuo wrote:
Nobody wants to hear about Sub-Saharan African Mythology...but seriously, we're not ignoring it, clearly you're not, anyway.

Yes I am: I want Chinese.

Yeah, but he's not gonna do Chinese right after Japanese, it wouldn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Zoroastrianism because ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jamesl59 wrote:

Actually Welsh would be pretty cool. There's a tremendous amount of material to work from.

"Celtic" is a mess, more or less claiming all pagans that don't fit cleanly into other European cultural groups, but at least it's a mess that many have agreed upon in their writings, be it accurate or not. Welsh is part of that family, but particularly rich in written material. You could argue it should be its own category separate from the rest of its language group.

Lumping all of "Native American" into one category isn't the proper alternative to naming "every individual Native American tribe/people". There are four or five major subcategories of culture that separate huge numbers of people, and they're pretty interesting. There isn't much written information on them, granted, but Incan mythology has about as much in common with Mississippian mythology as the Indian subcontinent mythology has with Norse. Lumping Judaica, Christianity and Islam into a single category would make far more sense that putting all on New World cultures together.

The Aztecs would be cool, the Incans as well. Pacific Northwest is very interesting.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aztecs would be my pick. He could base the game around the caves in Chicomoztoc and the 7 tribes that emerged from the cave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
jamesl59 wrote:

Actually Welsh would be pretty cool. There's a tremendous amount of material to work from.

"Celtic" is a mess, more or less claiming all pagans that don't fit cleanly into other European cultural groups, but at least it's a mess that many have agreed upon in their writings, be it accurate or not. Welsh is part of that family, but particularly rich in written material. You could argue it should be its own category separate from the rest of its language group.

Lumping all of "Native American" into one category isn't the proper alternative to naming "every individual Native American tribe/people". There are four or five major subcategories of culture that separate huge numbers of people, and they're pretty interesting. There isn't much written information on them, granted, but Incan mythology has about as much in common with Mississippian mythology as the Indian subcontinent mythology has with Norse. Lumping Judaica, Christianity and Islam into a single category would make far more sense that putting all on New World cultures together.

Right, but again, even if I named those 4-5, I'd have to name every different European set of mythology, and that's and insane amount. The point was to keep the poll concise. Either name literally everything, or name a few, and add "other" as an option to encompass everything else. Which made a lot more sense.

Quote:
   The Aztecs would be cool, the Incans as well. Pacific Northwest is very interesting.

S.

Aztecs could definitely be interesting. Or Hawaiian, Hawaiian myth is quite interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PA
Canada
Rouyn-noranda
Qc
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally i could'nt care much as i dont really like Eric's game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah hundley

inverness
Florida
msg tools
mb
Native "north" American would be cool. (Navajo, Cherokee, Sioux, etc)
It's hugely underserviced in every medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

That would be because there are no distinct mythological cycles, or at least none we really have any records for. The Mabinogion is the main source for what we deem Welsh mythology, but since it also incorporates Irish, Greco-Roman, Germanic and Catholic traditions calling it 'Welsh' is a bit of a stretch. In fact there's not really such a thing as a distinct mythology - even the earliest Greek mythology is actually a rehashing of a much earlier tradition (one which unfortunately pre-dates writing). The earliest we have of what could be deemed Celtic is from Ireland, but even there we see influence from Rome as well as well as the incorporation of myths from continental Celtic cultures.
Quote:

Incan mythology has about as much in common with Mississippian mythology as the Indian subcontinent mythology has with Norse.

Like the offspring of the main god who's a trickster and considered the father of monsters? I'm referring to Kashyap of course, though I believe the Norse called him Loki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
Personally - Canadians.

Though I wish it were otherwise, Canadians are no myth, my friend. These eyes have seen the vast frozen hinterlands, and despaired.

That's because we keep fighting the good fight to protect the world against the giant ice spiders of the great north.

What, you've never heard about them?

Exactly. We are doing a good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
deedob wrote:

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
wamsp wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
Personally - Canadians.

That's because we keep fighting the good fight to protect the world against the giant ice spiders of the great north.

Look closer. Those are mosquitos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
deedob wrote:
wamsp wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
Personally - Canadians.

Look closer. Those are mosquitos.

Yeah... no...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eastern European "pagan" religions. Slavs in Ukraine had a pretty rad religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Indian would be my pick, as I think it would lend itself to amazing artwork and minis and is pretty under-represented. Egyptian and Arabian also sound interesting.

However, I'll take anything but Greek and Roman. I'm so tired of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pan-African theme would be cool. The continent is so diverse and so rich in history and culture that the possibilities are huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
Indian would be my pick, as I think it would lend itself to amazing artwork and minis and is pretty under-represented. Egyptian and Arabian also sound interesting.

However, I'll take anything but Greek and Roman. I'm so tired of them.

The thing is that taking Greek, Roman, Egyptian or Norse is that you won't offend anyone.
Picking from religions (like Induism) that people are still believing is just asking for trouble imo. Even christian ones keep having these talks about themes that are "not right" here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
i want to see eric lang do a backflip next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.