Hide
6 Posts

Shakespeare: Backstage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland Müller
msg tools
Hard to get the expansion in Germany but I managed to get it via GenCon ;o)
Great new opportunities and even more decisions. I like it!

After first play I have some rule questions:

1) Double: "activate one ... actor, even if the actor is not empty"
Can I activate an actor which was already used this turn again?
Can I activate an actor currently covered by a rest token?
I assume answer to both questions is yes

2) Lord Chamberlain:
If recruiting "an actor card of their choice" is the Lord deck shuffeled afterwards or should the top actor card (and the order of the whole deck) stay the same for the whole game?

3) Rag-Picker
Can I mix "available" and "discarded" items?
I assume the answer is yes

4) 2 element costumes
Do they also provide money and/or points if the costume is worth more than 5?
I assume the answer is yes

5) new actor powers
The Queen: It's stated that together with Prospero "they may draw 6 cards", I assume they nevertheless may keep only one?
The 0: The first "action of the day" - If I am third player due to order track. I do first action, then player 1, then player 2, then my second action and finally player 4? Or how should it be?

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oakes
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
I will give you my opinion on your questions but they are not official.

1 a) Yes, you can use the activation power of any actor, even if they have been already activated this turn.
1 b) No, An actor at rest cannot be used this turn at all.

Note the Double cannot be used on Shakespeare and Falstaff.(as they are at no cost).

2.) The rules aren't clear on this so we say if you recruit your choice you can place the deck FACE DOWN of all the other cards in an order of your choice but the top card remains the same and FACE UP.

3) Yes, the English rules state that the Rag-Picker allows you to take from a mix of available and discarded items. Don't forget though that this power is limited to use with the Costume and Set dressers of a cost of 3 coins so cannot be used with the more expensive ones.

4) Yes, they receive the dressing bonus as normal. The English rules contain some ambiguity regarding Richard III. When activated he LOSES 1 ambiance. When he is dressed this reduction no longer applies but the rules contradict this. Richard's actor card however clearly crosses out the loss of ambiance.

5 a) We interpret Propero with the Queen as doubling the drawn cards to 6 but still only retaining 1. Some might say you can keep 2 but that seems too powerful .

5 b) Your interpretation is correct.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gramps wrote:
1 a) Yes, you can use the activation power of any actor, even if they have been already activated this turn.
1 b) No, An actor at rest cannot be used this turn at all.

According to the previews, yes, you can activate an actor already used or one at rest for the round. I'm not sure what would cause you to think otherwise. Is there something specific in the rules that you've seen to contradict the preview?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is not normal.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gramps wrote:
4) Yes, they receive the dressing bonus as normal. The English rules contain some ambiguity regarding Richard III. When activated he LOSES 1 ambiance. When he is dressed this reduction no longer applies but the rules contradict this. Richard's actor card however clearly crosses out the loss of ambiance.

Thanks for posting this! I think this interpretation makes sense. Once costumed, Richard III no longer costs the player ambience when activated for his main ability of moving up on all three tracks.

Gramps wrote:
5 a) We interpret Propero with the Queen as doubling the drawn cards to 6 but still only retaining 1. Some might say you can keep 2 but that seems too powerful .

Prospero doubles the effect of one costumed character. So this means Prospero can only work with actors, not the queen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My copy does not include Prospero. Was it a promotion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is not normal.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jim Crozier wrote:
My copy does not include Prospero. Was it a promotion?

Yes. It is still available in the Geekstore.
https://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/shakespeare-prospero...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.