Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Pearson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So my sister, brother in law and nephew are all really into Munchkin. I am not going to put my personal feelings on the game here but I am curious what everybody thinks would be a good next step for them? My nephew is into d&d but I am not sure if that's what got them into Munchkin or not. They don't have any other "hobby" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cangamer wrote:
So my sister, brother in law and nephew are all really into Munchkin. I am not going to put my personal feelings on the game here but I am curious what everybody thinks would be a good next step for them? My nephew is into d&d but I am not sure if that's what got them into Munchkin or not. They don't have any other "hobby" games.

Find out more. Why do they like it? The humor? The "Take That"? Building a character with powers and items?

Narrow it down so we can recommend something actually useful.

Right now, a lot of people are going to talk about their favorite games, which might work for your case, or not. Hard to tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
King of Tokyo, about the same difficulty, but plays a lot quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Pearson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Malcolm,

My guess is a combo of humour and the d&d vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Cutthroat Caverns if you think he'd like like adventuring and strategic backstabbery.

Or, if you think they'd like a bit of a story game maybe Above and Below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cangamer wrote:
Hi Malcolm,

My guess is a combo of humour and the d&d vibe.

Ok. I'm going to recommend a variety of things. Run them through the three of them, and that might help get a better feeling of what catches their eye.

Cutthroat Caverns was the first thing that came to mind, but I have not played it, so I don't know if it's any good.

The Dragon & Flagon also looks good. I haven't played it either, and it seems more complex than Munchkin, but it goes for a chaotic feel in a fantasy world.

Dungeon Roll is fun, even if it's not a thinking game. Playing with two, it works. Three should be fine too, but I wouldn't play four players. Too much down time between turns.

We Didn't Playtest This At All has no theme, but it's a funny card game, so it's worth mentioning. Again, like Dungeon Roll, not really a step up gamewise, more like a step sideways from Munchkin.

Smash Up: Munchkin is another one I haven't played, but I have played Smash Up (base set + some expansions). It's a fun game, and as D. Roll, I only play it 2-3 players, not four. This set (Munchkin Set) is a standalone expasion (you don't need the base set). It has also been critically panned, like, a lot, for it's lack of compatibility with the other expansions. But as they don't have those, it might not bother them.

Finally, Lost Legacy is not funny. It's "adventure", and a card game, though. And a really light and fun one. I linked to the version I personally own, but there are a lot more sets. Each are a game on their own.

So, final word. Cutthroat Caverns and The Dragon & Flagon are more complex than Munchkin. I have not played them, so I can't vouch for them. They do seem like similar theme and mechanics.

The other four I have played and I recommend, but they are all really light and simple games. So keep that in mind. They will also have a few negative reviews from "hardcore" gamers, as they are pretty swingy and random. What can I say? They are right, but that's not a bad thing. If your family enjoys silly card games, check those out.

And please, run these options through them. I have a few games I love, but as they didn't work out so well with my family, they see a lot less play that I would like.

Good luck! My list is incomplete for sure. Still, hunting games down is also part of the fun. Hope this is useful to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say give The Red Dragon Inn a look. Lots of take that and player interaction. It has a good amount of humor, lots of different characters to choose from and it has a bunch of expansions if they like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
klopu lamar
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dungeon Fighter ! It is of course a co-op,dexterity game but it falls into the fantasy, fighting category, as munchkin does, with lots of humor. It is a great party game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something like Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fans of Munchkins..... What's next?
My son liked Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game after a summer of playing Munchkin. It's more based upon video game RPG than pen and paper RPG, and you are mostly playing as the dungeon builder as opposed to heroes, so you'd want to double check to see if that theme works for your family.

I'm familiar with both genres, so I found both to be funny, but I think my son wasn't as familiar with 8-bit RPGs and may have found Munchkin to be funnier. The nostalgia of 8-bit games is tricky to judge for younger generations, so his parents might find it funnier as well. As far as gameplay, I like Boss Monster more. I felt like it's more strategic and the dungeon layouts in Boss Monster are more interesting to me than the characters and equipment in Munchkin. Again, you'd want to check to see what in Munchkin is most appealing to your family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.