Harken's Folly
Desperadoes
The Choices We Make
Awful Lonely In The Big Black
First Time In The Captain's Chair
      47 answers
Poll created by Hitchslapped

Hey,
I was wondering which was your favourite story to play and why?
Here are the stories if you don't know their names by heart.

P.S. I hope I didn't forget one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you forgot the scavenger hunt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hitchens
Germany
flag msg tools
Fixed it. But that deleted your vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Where the Wind Takes Us" is the one I always go back to as my favorite. It draws many different strategies and facets of the game into the game session. Last Friday, we played a 5 player session with this story card, and we saw it all--fly actions to and from all corners of the board(s), shipping, smuggling, transport, crime, legal work, bounties, piracy, you name it. And the winning player succeeded by completing only legal jobs--one from Harken, one from Badger, and one bounty. At one point, three players were sitting on a goal token at Regina, and the first two each attempted to pirate the third and each one failed. Then they turned on each other. It was a riot. That session made evident that carrying a piracy job around just in case you catch a player sitting on a goal token was a clever strategy for that story card, as well as something to be wary of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for "Where the Wind Takes Us"

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Where the Wind Takes Us. Though I am nearly equally partial to Any Port in a Storm. It certainly makes things...interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Babanov
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is "Objects in Space", but they didn't publish that one yet shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I only have the base game, but I like Desperadoes and "Respectable" Persons of Business, mostly because they can just go on and on until someone decides to make Last Call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where the Wind Takes Us for the utter random craziness and the Leaf On The Wind reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmb
I voted for the King of All Londinium, because I enjoy the story the most. However, Where the Wind Takes Us probably sees the most play (at least for solo games) because it is random and gives me the opportunity/excuse to explore more of the 'verse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to try a bunch of new story cards every time we play (some that we are making up and some from other BGG Browncoats) but for some reason, my group and I like playing Harken's Folly.

I think the race to get solid with all the contacts makes this game fun. With all the expensions in, it makes for quite a challenge with the Reavers and the Alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd be curious if people's preferences change with (or are dictated by) number of players. When I play solo or 2-player, I love the "story" themed cards -- King of All Londinium, Harken's Folly, Jail Break, and to a lesser extent, Niska's Holiday and Patience's War -- but I understand that those don't play as well with larger groups.

On the other hand, some of the ones that folks are calling out as favorites are great, to me, with 4+ players, but not so much with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any Port in a Storm.

Anything which makes legal jobs even slightly more attractive gets my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the crew attrition aspect of Patience's War. Not sure if it is my favourite story, but it is close. I mostly play solo, if that makes a difference, so some stories definitely feel better suited for that.

As a solo player I also use the "Awful Crowded in My Sky" set-up card every single time I play. The alliance/reaver tokens make for a much more exciting solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I selected desperadoes but I haven't played all the stories yet. As I am "founding a community to play the game It's been 1st time in Captan's chair, respectable men of business, desperadoes 2 or 3 times, and Patience's War. These we have been able to finish in the 2 hrs 45 minutes we have to play on a weekday evening at our local Game store.
I liked Desperadoes because it felt more like the show and movie, starting out Wanted etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be interesting to see a similar poll for our favorite Setup card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
My wife and I needed to do a quick game the other night and we did Where the Wind Takes us with Blitz and we finished in about 45minutes. I just so happened to be next to Patience and two of her jobs were goal jobs. I think I just got lucky. So I vote Blitz when you want a faster game but I need to test it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-David
Canada
Mascouche
Quebec
flag msg tools
“Happiness is nothing unless it exists side by side with sadness. Two sides. One coin” - 7th Doctor
mbmbmbmbmb
sgpigeon wrote:
My wife and I needed to do a quick game the other night and we did Where the Wind Takes us with Blitz and we finished in about 45minutes. I just so happened to be next to Patience and two of her jobs were goal jobs. I think I just got lucky. So I vote Blitz when you want a faster game but I need to test it more.

Since it came out, Blitz is the way we start all our games. It cuts off a good hour of the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.