18 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Just Recieved the Game - Component Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maokai
msg tools
Hello :-)

I just received the game and based on the serial number I'm guessing it's the 9th print (It was printed on the 12.1.2016).

I noted couple of things about the components and I'm not sure if those are specific issues I'm having or are common across the board:

1. The cards (especially the Wound Cards) are all bent. I sleeved them, and hoping that at some point they will flatten (even though I don't recall them being squashed in the box - so perhaps they were just printed that way). It feels strange to hold and shuffle them.

2. Some castle turn mechanism is VERY rough. I need to put all my power into moving a single click. On the other hand - the red castle feels too flimsy when turning it.

3. I'm missing the Arythea Turn token. It's strange really, as it seems the plastic holder can only hold 3 Turn tokens, not 4 (extra one means it goes beyond the plastic edge). Does Arythea not suppose to have a Turn token maybe?

I heard the Mana token are all bad plastic by everyone, so am not worried about that.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
3. I'm missing the Arythea Turn token. It's strange really, as it seems the plastic holder can only hold 3 Turn tokens, not 4 (extra one means it goes beyond the plastic edge). Does Arythea not suppose to have a Turn token maybe?
Arythea is supposed to have a round order token, like all Mage Knights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have sworn the turn tokens were rectangular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a few issues either related to the new printing, or just you have been unlucky. However wizkids do sadly have a bit of a reputation here for component issues.

1. I've not heard of people getting bent cards in previous printings.

2. The castles in mine are all about the same, not too hard but not too 'soft'.

3. There should definitely be a rectangular turn order token for all mage knights, and all four should fit in the insert. It's worth noting the insert is tight, so while it may not seem like they would fit; they will

If you go to the wizkids website they have an online replacement order system. I would definitely go and fill it out with regards to points 1 and 3; point 2 you may have to live with but you could try

Good luck getting sorted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a round order token that happens to be rectangular, FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Thanks everyone.
I was reading somewhere the new expansions prints had the same 'card bending' issues. They might have changed the machine printing lately or something. I'll try to contact WizKids, I heard they are pretty slow on sending missing parts.

It's not that big of a thing really (the missing token), but it does scratch my OCD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
I heard the Mana token are all bad plastic by everyone, so am not worried about that.

The latest run is still terrible? Sad to hear...

Mine are so bad, the blue, green and black all look the same unless I have them directly next to a bright light.

I've been using Looney pyramids (Icehouse pieces) instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Yep, the problem with the Mana Tokens still exists.
I was stashing all the cards under couple of heavy board games for a night, it looks better now, but still a bit curvy:

I think the fault is with the page the card was printed on. It's very clear the card has two different sides and those are not identical. The card edges are rounded on the Mage Knight logo side, and rough on the informative side. Even after the flatting process, the curve on the edges is visible. Am I'm the only one having this problem? or those are sadly the type of cards that everyone has?

I found out couple of other components issues yesterday when playing the first scenario:

It's a bit hard to catch on the Camera, but It looks like someone marked a big X on the top tile (number 1). Maybe to mark which side goes up when packaging it. This visible enough for me to know which tile comes up next.

The tiles suffers from the same issues as the cards. One side has glossy make on it. Makes everything looks nicer. The other side (where the map is actually painted) does not have this glossy cover. As you can see in the pictures, the Starting Tile (side A) is the glossy side (the only Map that is printed on this side). Notice the green is not the same greens, and that the two other tiles colours are washed out compared to it.

Seems like components quality is still just meh, 9 prints after the original one. Oh Wiz Kids :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have they fixed black stripe error on the back of the Artifact cards (just above the Mage Knight logo) and Arythea's deed cards 15 and 16?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
I'm unable to see any black strips. So I guess they did :-)

The sage continues though - the Map tiles started to 'curve'. I left the game on the table for the night (as playing it in one session was a bit too much). In the morning I noticed they are no longer aligned in height. Apparently the tiles curved up. They tiles still in box are perfectly fine. Known issue yet again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maokai wrote:
I'm unable to see any black strips. So I guess they did :-)

Still, could you post a picture of the back of an Artifact card? I just find it extremely hard to believe that Wizkids has fixed this issue.

Maokai wrote:
The sage continues though - the Map tiles started to 'curve'. I left the game on the table for the night (as playing it in one session was a bit too much). In the morning I noticed they are no longer aligned in height. Apparently the tiles curved up. They tiles still in box are perfectly fine. Known issue yet again?

What was the relative humidity in the room you were playing? Generally, relative humidity above 60% and high temperature for a prolonged time is bad for paper/cardboard. Additionally, rapid and large enough (~10%)changes in humidity in either direction can cause paper/cardboard to warp, no matter what the relative humidity was initially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Here you go :-)

Well, It is summer now, and humidity is pretty high outside (around 75%). But I only play at home, and home is home air conditioned. I guess that during the night when the air condition is off, humidity can change, but I don't recall this happening to any other paper/cards board games I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
Update:

I contacted Wiz Kids for a replacement for the above I mentioned. While they were willing to send a replacement the white jammed castle and the missing turn token, they weren't willing to exchange the curved/bent cards:

And the curved tiles/miss-colored tiles (which is not big issues, it just annoying the map is not flat and that the colors are different between tiles):

The answer I got was - "Everything looks to be standard and we cannot replace them with anything better than what you already have." soblue

Oh well, at least the game is awesome. I'll keep put heavy stuff on all the cards/tiles - maybe it will flatten over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle the cards by bending the other direction for a while and they'll probably even out. They're not particularly sturdy to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
tumorous wrote:
Shuffle the cards by bending the other direction for a while and they'll probably even out. They're not particularly sturdy to begin with.

Yep. Working it it and also keep using heavy books on top of the cards
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maokai wrote:
I just received the game and based on the serial number I'm guessing it's the 9th print (It was printed on the 12.1.2016).

I have just received this same edition. How does one add this new version to BGG?

Quote:
2. Some castle turn mechanism is VERY rough. I need to put all my power into moving a single click. On the other hand - the red castle feels too flimsy when turning it.

All my castles turn pretty easily, if anything the Red castle is slightly stiffer than the others

Quote:

It should hold four tokens with the top token being flush with the insert.

Quote:
I found out couple of other components issues yesterday when playing the first scenario:

It's a bit hard to catch on the Camera, but It looks like someone marked a big X on the top tile (number 1). Maybe to mark which side goes up when packaging it.

Yep mine is like that as well. It's just that one tile.

Quote:
This visible enough for me to know which tile comes up next.
Just place the tiles under a piece of cloth or something so you can't see what comes up next

Quote:
Notice the green is not the same greens, and that the two other tiles colours are washed out compared to it.
Hey it makes the landscape less monotonous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maokai
msg tools
I think I tried to add the latest print and I'm waiting for admin to approve that change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maokai wrote:
I think I tried to add the latest print and I'm waiting for admin to approve that change...

Initially I was put off adding a new version because it seemed that I had to fill in all the details from scratch. After posing the question in my previous post, I decided to go ahead with adding a new version anyway. After adding the new version (still awaiting approval), I continued to browse around and found that I could have cloned an entry thereby saving me some typing cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.