Hide
14 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assigning Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
msg tools
I have an issue with assigning dice, if I fail to accomplish a task, can I still assign 1 or 2 dice to an un-completed task or do I re-roll every single dice except focused dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casperrh wrote:
I have an issue with assigning dice, if I fail to accomplish a task, can I still assign 1 or 2 dice to an un-completed task or do I re-roll every single dice except focused dice?

You re-roll every single dice except focused dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Casperrh wrote:

You re-roll every single dice except focused dice.

Except the die (singular, you can't focus more than one die) you eventually focused, the die eventually on another character assisting you at the adventure, dice eventually secured on spells and the die you discarded as penalty for failing the resolution of the task
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Elder Sign!

MuWhahahahahahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Julia. The dice when it should be die thing drives me crazy. Of course, I'm a language teacher by profession who still insists on the proper use of whom when direct object or object of a preposition, so I'm a bit of a dinosaur.. but a "single dice"....cringe! No offense, Chris. Julia answered your question well though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GermanTodd wrote:
Thank you, Julia. The dice when it should be die thing drives me crazy. Of course, I'm a language teacher by profession who still insists on the proper use of whom when direct object or object of a preposition, so I'm a bit of a dinosaur.. but a "single dice"....cringe!

i've been assured by several Brits that "dice" is also the correct singular, at least in UK English. i don't buy it, though (US English is my native language, and in the US we say "die" for the singular).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
sgbeal wrote:
GermanTodd wrote:
Thank you, Julia. The dice when it should be die thing drives me crazy. Of course, I'm a language teacher by profession who still insists on the proper use of whom when direct object or object of a preposition, so I'm a bit of a dinosaur.. but a "single dice"....cringe!

i've been assured by several Brits that "dice" is also the correct singular, at least in UK English. i don't buy it, though (US English https://cf.geekdo-static.com/images/editor/bold.gifis my native language, and in the US we say "die" for the singular).

The Oxford dictionary confirms that in spoken language you may use dice both for singular and plural (even though it's more in the sense of sentences like "throw the dice" and not "throw 1 single dice"); nonetheless it's very important (and this was the reason of my post) remembering the rulebook distinguish between die and dice, so that reading an answer using the "dice" wording could be misleading: while resolving a focus action, you are allowed to save 1 single result, not several
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
The Oxford dictionary confirms that in spoken language you may use dice both for singular and plural (even though it's more in the sense of sentences like "throw the dice" and not "throw 1 single dice"); nonetheless it's very important (and this was the reason of my post) remembering the rulebook distinguish between die and dice, so that reading an answer using the "dice" wording could be misleading: while resolving a focus action, you are allowed to save 1 single result, not several

Interestingly... German uses the same word for die and dice :/. Only the genders are different:

http://www.dict.cc/?s=wuerfel

i'm curious whether the German edition (if any) of ES is careful about when it uses "der Wuerfel" (singular) vs "die Wuerfel" (plural).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Interestingly... German uses the same word for die and dice :/. Only the genders are different:

i'm curious whether the German edition (if any) of ES is careful about when it uses "der Wuerfel" (singular) vs "die Wuerfel" (plural).

Shouldn't plural be "dice Wuerfel"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
drathbun wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Shouldn't plural be "dice Wuerfel"?

Dunno, but for me Wuerfel will always remain the portable Sacher experience I discovered a decade ago in Vienna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy sanchez
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to ask a question about assigning a die by focus and assisting.

I have an adventure card with an order arrow
I have 1 1 left in my dice pool left
and I have 1 1 focused on me and 1 1 on an assisting investigator

the adventure has 3 remaining tasks left to complete
I roll the appropriate icon from my 1 die and it completes one task
the remaining tasks on the adventure card are singular and match those that are focused on me and on my assisting investigator...

do i complete the adventure card even though I don't have anymore die in my pool?
I can only complete 1 task per roll... but I don't have anymore rolls since they are all focused/assisting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Last time this question was asked, it started a war...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy sanchez
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its ok i got the answer already... thanks though... no war shall be started
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Last time this question was asked, it started a war...

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.