6 Posts

Vast: The Crystal Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to learn and teach the game tonight but everybody got discouraged before we could figure out what to do.

Which cubes belong to who?
How does one place tiles for the cave when it's 3 player & excluding the cave & thief player?
All the token pieces, when do you decide to place them? How do you go about selecting them?

I'll keep reading the rule book but the font is tiny and I can't seem to simplify the turns into steps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The easiest way to explain the cubes for the boards is to watch the Leder YouTube videos on each character. It's really confusing without the videos.

When playing with three, you'll have the variant card that says to place a tile after each player's turn. There may be an additional variance depending on the role selection.

Which tokens do you have questions about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the videos a little slow for that purpose myself. The GeekDad review has nice clear pictures of which components go with which characters:
https://geekdad.com/2016/07/vast-the-crystal-caverns/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Rodney smith watch it played would do wonders. although the how to play vids are not too shabby.. they are a bit too long..

I think a full 3 turn playthrough with all five roles would help with maybe a dragon 'awake' and cave collapse turn or three as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taru P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
Trying to learn and teach the game tonight but everybody got discouraged before we could figure out what to do.

I wouldn't try to learn and teach Vast at the same time, because then the game might seem more complicated than it really is.

I haven't received the game yet, but I've read the rules with thought, watched the videos and made some notes and corrections to the printed rule book. Now I think I have a good understanding of the rules (but as I said, I haven't got the game yet, so I think there might rise some issues when I finally get to try the game in practice). So preparation is the key.

Although I'm still dreading the situation when I have to teach the game to my gaming group and play a 5-player game But I think it will go fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the pictures on pg2 of the rule book pretty good to follow when working everything out. The list of the items is in pretty much the order the picture items are shown.

There's also this image recently posted on the KS pages

As others said this is a game that you need to spend time to at least understand prior to teaching. I survived my teaching of my first 4-player game last night, managed to get everyone up and playing in probably not much over 20 mins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.