Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of making up some alternative money for Leaving Earth, for those of us who don't care for the paper money that comes with the game.

Poll: Replacement money for Leaving Earth
What would you prefer?
cards
wooden coins
other
      78 answers
Poll created by buffalohat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with "Other" because from the very first play I substituted poker chips.

No way would I want cards, and wooden coins seems anachronistic in a game of space travel. And neither is going to replace poker chips for pure utility; already own them, easy to handle, easy to tell denominations apart....

Sorry, you are right to think paper money could be upgraded, but I'm not sure you need to provide the replacement...heck a pile of real dimes,nickels and pennies would suffice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very happily use 3D-printed scoreboards and pegs provided by
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
for a very reasonable price. Thanks again, mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy w/ the paper money. Perhaps there is an alternative that fits with the budget theme? Cards that represent appropriations, or something? I don't know... I'm not a finance person.

Paper money works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden coins sound perfect! I love wooden components in games. The only better thing would be metal coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeples! Specifically: Scientist/Engineers that did the actual work researching, building, and all the other activitues that made the space program go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dong
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for poker chips. Currently I am going with standard poker chips, however, on the list of things to do is to make them more thematic by using the “Leaving Earth” $1, $2, and $5 coin face images created by SlimJim. This would be a first time for a project like this and I am still flip flopping between going with the 1 inch circle to cover the center or going big to 1 9/16 inches to cover the entire poker chip edge to edge.

Between cards and wooden coins I would lean towards the wooden coins if done well. I like their tactile and visual aspects. However, the cards would take up less space and be cheaper to produce so it is likely the more practical option. But, if you really think about it, the cards are still ‘paper money’; just really thick paper money.

So in the end it looks like I am voting once for each option, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I went with other, as in either:

- A small piece of paper with 40 numbered spaces on it where you keep track of your current funds with a cube

or

- A spin dial counter to keep track of your funds, such as the sort of counters used in the LotR LCG, or D-Day Dice, or Blood Bowl

or

- The 3-D counter mentioned above

All a lot easier to track your money with, than using coins, chips, or paper money. My opinion only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how much computation is required in the game, how about an abacus for each space agency?

We usually find the money got spent so fast that no one needed to actually exchange bills; you just sort of counted it off as you went.

But, yeah, poker chips rock, but I will vote for wooden coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a notepad to keep track of all my mission plans and so I also note my spending each year on a right margin on the page (or sometimes just use a google docs sheet). This way I can easily reflect back to 1978 or so and see where everything was doomed by a miscalculation of some sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated some of the calculation sheets from Outer Planets and usually just write my cash in the margins with a dry erase marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I (like many others) use poker chips for almost every game involving money. I don't have denominations on the chips, so for games with unusual amounts, I place one poker chip on the corresponding denomination from the game, so everyone can reference the values in use this play through. I'm not interested in custom currencies, so I'll continue to use my existing chips for Leaving Earth as well as other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker chips for me. Why? Because i have plenty of those already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I made those money boards (I can run off some more if anyone wants them) is not because I disliked the cash, but because I found it tedious passing it back and forth all the time. I ended up keeping back two 10s and a 5 and turning them face down when I spent them, rather than having to grab fresh cash out of the bank each turn.

If you did keep money from turn to turn then a pile of notes, coins, whatever, would make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I went for "other" as I'd prefer a small board with tokens to track finances. Nothing fancy for me: just a flat bit of card that's stocky enough not to slide around when the tokens are moved. At the moment I just scribble on the paper I use for mission planning.

As Roger said, if money was accumulated over turns than a pile of coins or cubes would be ideal, but because the finances reset every turn then a track would do the job just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's funny ... the only reason I don't use poker chips is because, well, they remind me too much of poker!
I don't want to get my games mixed up and get carried away gambling with my astronauts' lives!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure you have two back-up sets of poker chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
Wooden coins sound perfect! I love wooden components in games. The only better thing would be metal coins.

That would be very cool. A very lightweight metal (aluminium?) as was used in some European currencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
Meeples! Specifically: Scientist/Engineers that did the actual work researching, building, and all the other activitues that made the space program go!

Or maybe Accountant Meeples .. that did all the actual tracking of finances that made the space program go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like wooden components (even more than metal ones, because I do not like the metal smell on my fingers (and I am guitarist... it's no easy life XD)), but I'd rather have some tracks with indents. and cubes for tracking.

Simple tracks tend to get sweeped, but tracks with holes for cubes to fit in would be perfect. Maybe one track for tens and one for the ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more for poker chips. I didn't even look at the paper money; when this game arrived in the mail last week the first thing I did was go get 25 chips.

If you do decide to change the money, I would go with metal or plastic, and something non-round, so nobody has to race a coin across the floor before it rolls under the fridge. And while you are contemplating a "Deluxe Edition", how about increasing the thickness of the primary board locations, maybe to drink-coaster thickness or having them interlock like puzzle pieces? You could reduce the number of board sections by using cards for the exploration result.

Whatever you decide, good luck and congrats on a great little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
San Jose?
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever we end up going with, it'd be an add-on, not a change to the base game. In the small print runs we can do, paper money is what we can afford. Down the road we might be big enough to try something else in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Davis
msg tools
We've been using replica antique metal coins from a big batch of replica antique metal coins we got from a Kickstarter project a while back. We originally got them for use with historical-themed games (Serenissima, Khronos, 7 Wonders, Merchants & Marauders, etc etc etc), but they're remarkably convenient for Leaving Earth even if they don't fit the theme. We just put 25 megabucks worth of coins (in 1, 5, and 10 denominations) in front of each player and shuffle individual coins from left to right as they're spent, then reset at the end of the year.

I love the idea of using an abacus though. A custom slide rule would be VERY thematic too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AbacusWizard wrote:
A custom slide rule would be VERY thematic too.

plus 1 on that! great idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but the whole point of a slide rule is you don't use it for addition and subtraction…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.