Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathon Keller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all,
I've been given a small budget to start a non-circulating game collection for the library where I work. That is, these games could be played in the library, but not taken home by patrons. I would like to hear some of your recommendations for which games I should initially include in my selection.

We have started a bi-weekly gaming group, and have played some games that people bring in, but we'd like a collection of our own.

Please consider that games should have a reasonably low number of pieces (since we have to count everything after each use) and may appeal to a diverse audience (I tend to think of games that I, but not necessarily anyone else, would like). If you could also tell me why you would recommend these games, that would be great.

Finally, apologies that I didn't search through all the archived forums for similar posts. I'm doing this from work and had little time to think of that. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chess, Checkers, standard 52-card decks. Maybe Monopoly if y'all wanna get really crazy.

I really wouldn't think that you'd want to venture into modern designer tabletop games unless you plan to actually organize some sort of programming around this collection to teach folks how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give us a little more information.

1. What noise level is acceptable in the Library? A game like Pit is really loud, so you might not want it in the library.

2. What size groups of players do you expect? If you are looking for large groups, then games like werewolf might work.

3. Are there any time restraints on the game play?

Last but not least.
4. What game expertise do you expect? Are these folks that do not play a lot of games, or are they for folks that play a lot of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Keller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have gone crazy with a lot of the old, dusty standards (monopoly, chess, clue, etc.). Since May, we've had a game club that meets every other week, so modern style games have been introduced to at least some of our patrons. We will be participating in International Games Day @ Your Library, so I feel somewhat justified in asking this group for something beyond the obvious. Sorry I was not clear about that from the start.

Now, to respond to the questions:
1. Our library has several rooms that allow for varying degrees of noise, from silent reading rooms to small group study rooms to event/conference rooms, so if a larger room were reserved for open gaming times, I don't think noise will be too much of a problem.

2. I expect groups from 2 to 8 players, though averaging around 4. I've got Tsuro, Bang!, and 7 Wonders to cover the larger groups, and plenty of ideas for 4-player groups, but ideas for smaller groups would be appreciated.

3. Time would depend on the players or groups. Our larger rooms can be reserved for several hours (if available), and there are tables all around the place. Monday through Thursday, we are open 12 hours, so, hypothetically, people could play that long if they really wanted to.

4. I've been introducing various games during our game club sessions and, when I'm working, would be available for short introductions, too. I'd say, also, that this area has a pretty good level of interest (and I tend to equate that roughly with skill or ability to learn - though I suppose I should not) already, so I'd just like to provide a free space for people to come play. I think it would start out with people who already play many games, but I hope to pique the interest of newcomers, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive with expansion pieces as a quiet two-player game (is often compared to chess, but is a bit easier).

Pandemic: The Cure up to 7 players dice game with a lot of dice, but they are relatively easy to count because of their colors (fast and fun game with a lot of tension).

Splendor some cards and chips to count (easy going casual game).

All of these are easy to teach and to understand, they have a playing time of 20-30 Minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How exciting! Here are some games I would suggest...

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game - this is very fitting for a library and might be a good way to draw bookworms there to browse into gaming.

Lost Cities - Because it is a quiet game. Just cards and a small board. A nice two-player option to have on hand.

Carcassonne - it does have quite a few meeples and of course tiles, but it's an easy to learn gateway game with fairly basic components. Base game plays up to 5.

Splendor - fairly basic components again. Nothing too small. Another game that is pretty easy to catch on to. Plays 2-4.

Biblios - appropriate, again, because of the theme. The box is even shaped like a book! Also, not a lot of small pieces. Easy to learn.

Colt Express - for something fun. Once the train is put together there aren't too many pieces. You would probably want to take out the little cardboard scenery pieces that aren't necessary for the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for explaining, Jonathon. Sorry that my earlier response missed the mark. This sounds like an excellent service and I wish I was a patron of your library!

+1 for Splendor

Hive is good, the Hive Pocket version is cheaper and includes the bonus pieces, but the tiles are also smaller (easier to lose), so that's something to think about.

An additional plus for both Splendor and Hive is that their components are not only few, but also durable for public use.

Love Letter has few components (16 cards; 13 wooden cubes), accommodates 2-4, is simple to teach, and is inexpensive to replace when parts get lost/destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traig Born
United States
Ward
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale: Fun, Fast, Easy to teach, low part count, plays 6
High Society: Fun, Fast, Easy to teach, low part count
Jaipur: Good to have a great 2 player game in a collection
Paperback: Need a deck builder, Theme
+1 Bilbios: Great game and theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Keller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you, thank you, thank you all for these wonderful suggestions. My director and I have a few of these already on our list, but there are many we didn't think about. Feel free to keep them coming and thank you again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Takenoko might be a good idea, it's simple enough and it has a lot of visual appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
Smash Up - This and King are easy to learn, family friendly, quick to play, and a lot of fun.
The Networks - This one is from 1-5 so it can accommodate a lot of group sizes.
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King - It's a light strategy game that's pretty easy to learn.

EDIT:
Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game - wide appeal, easy to learn, quick to play, family friendly. Also, inexpensive.
The Grizzled - inexpensive, easy to learn, quick to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of New York and Tokyo are both really good but there's a lot of little pieces to lose.

Coup is a lovely game, but you need 4+ to play really.

San Juan (second edition) great game for small groups, plenty of cards to count but not many other components.

Catan very cool game for a small group but again quite a lot of pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to do a little reading, my blog explains how we chose many of the games we added to our university library collection.

Collection in a Cornfield

The next game we have ordered fits your criteria well: Port Royal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For abstracts, I would suggest:
Quoridor - 2 or 4 players
Pylos - 2 player

PitchCar would be awesome for dexterity/racing

Battle Line or Lost Cities for 2 player card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recommend the games I've bought for casual gamers:

1. Splendor (up to 4 players)
2. Codenames (2 teams of many players)
3. Sushi Go (up to 5 players)

They are cheap, not too fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring Your Own Book would be fun in a library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.