BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board game transportation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a regular game night group for about four years now, and in the early going one guy brought most of the games, though I started pitching in shortly after. He eventually went on to found a board game company with his wife and some friends, and I ended up becoming the primary game supplier. This means that I've purchased a number of games to keep things fresh, but the more games I get, the more unwieldy transporting them becomes. Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you are playing games at a location other than where you store your games. A few possibilities:

A. You could invite people to your house for game gatherings.

B. You could ask people to let you know in advance if they have game requests (i.e. want to play games they don't own). We do this via Facebook group and it has met with some success.

C. If you are going to a gathering by car, you could take a medium number of games in two sets: a smaller number could go inside with you in a plastic storage bin with handles, and the rest could stay in your car unless someone requests one of them. This would seem to work well with I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play? -- it would take a bit of time to set up initially, but you could have the "IDKWDYWTP" cards for just the games you have in your car, so people would know what's available but out of sight.

D. You could also try bringing just a few games that are of great interest to you, along with a filler or two, to each gathering. Just because you have been bringing a lot of games doesn't mean you need to continue to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I assume you are playing games at a location other than where you store your games. A few possibilities:

A. You could invite people to your house for game gatherings.

B. You could ask people to let you know in advance if they have game requests (i.e. want to play games they don't own). We do this via Facebook group and it has met with some success.

C. If you are going to a gathering by car, you could take a medium number of games in two sets: a smaller number could go inside with you in a plastic storage bin with handles, and the rest could stay in your car unless someone requests one of them. This would seem to work well with I Don't Know, What Do You Want To Play? -- it would take a bit of time to set up initially, but you could have the "IDKWDYWTP" cards for just the games you have in your car, so people would know what's available but out of sight.

D. You could also try bringing just a few games that are of great interest to you, along with a filler or two, to each gathering. Just because you have been bringing a lot of games doesn't mean you need to continue to do so.

Eh, A doesn't work. My living situation is less than ideal. I like the rest of those, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to have variety, but you don't have to take them every week. Just take three or four and then you can carry them in your arms. I do have an Ikea bag shoved in my saddle bags, but rarely use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The blue zippered (or unzippered) bags from IKEA. They cost only $3 or so. They hold enough games so the bag is very heavy when you pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this bag a few months ago and think it works great. It's a little pricey, but easily holds 8+ games. There are similar bags without the strap or with less padding for cheaper.

Prior to this I had tried both plastic bins and square shopping bags. Both of those work and are cheaper, but I found the cajon bag to be a much better solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
I bought this bag a few months ago and think it works great. It's a little pricey, but easily holds 8+ games. There are similar bags without the strap or with less padding for cheaper.

Prior to this I had tried both plastic bins and square shopping bags. Both of those work and are cheaper, but I found the cajon bag to be a much better solution.

Huh, that looks really cool. I'm particularly concerned about damage to my games, so this is something I'll have to look into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanillaCokeMule wrote:
VaultBoy wrote:

Huh, that looks really cool. I'm particularly concerned about damage to my games, so this is something I'll have to look into.

Yeah, the cajon bag from Amazon is the absolute best board game bag around for $20. There are a few different models to check out.

I like the ChromaCast CC-CBAG-L Large Padded Caon Bag with Carry Handle and Shoulder Straps. $21.95 and you can open it as it sits vertically to make stacking games easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you shop for cajon bags on Amazon, the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" recommendations are a mix of drummers equipment and board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use two large Aldi canvas bags and one Cool Stuff Inc. canvas bag to bring a selection of games. The CSI bag is full of filler games that are popular games, one of the Aldi bags is used to bring popular gateway games, and the other games I want to play. Sometimes I bring a second CSI bag as well. I find they work well for my purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Saari
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Kickstarter for something called The Game Canopy that looks good, but it's very expensive. Not sure if you can still get it on it or not, but could be worth looking into, depending on your budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a minivan.

Pete (could probably transport the entire collection)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Catapults and trebuchets work better than cannon. Less damage to the game, though range suffers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I have a minivan.

Pete (could probably transport the entire collection)

Hahaha, car space is not the issue, man, but thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If going to my friends by car I toss a few games in one of these. Cons and such generally a large duffel bag. (Hint: The box is there to protect the game, it doesn't matter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.