Legendary: Civil War» Forums » General

Subject: Avengers v X-Men? Wtf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I'm gonna choose, let's see, err...Marvel Knights and Illuminati I think, as my two groups.
How tf is that Avengers v X-Men?
Anyone see a disconnect here?

If I want to play Avengers v X-Men I am quite capable of picking Professor X or Iron Man as the Mastermind and filling the 'Villain' and Hero decks with the appropriate personnel. Hey presto.

I mean, after all isn't this why we have about 25 villain groups made up of heroes?

Why do we need a (totally inaccurate and disconnected) scheme to dictate this?!

Oh, that's right. We don't.

I mean, couldn't they have called it 'Pit two teams against one another'? OK, not that lol, but yknow, something more generic along those lines?

Seems like a little bit of laziness creeping in to me.

Anyway. Sorry. Rant over - I love this game but stuff like this just bugs me.

Not as much as that Jessica Jones art though!!! Woaaaaah. Appallingly bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the theme where two groups of good guys fighting each other. It's named as Avengers v X-Men because in this set and the base set together you realistically only can choose Avengers and X-Men as there isn't enough heroes of other teams. Remember, schemes must work without any other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it yet, but game-play wise I think this could be one of the most interesting schemes in the set.

I think this scheme was designed to work thematically with the black panther/storm divided card-set.

I'm glad they gave you a bit more thematic freedom to do other things with it though, by letting it be any two affiliations rather than being similar to say the Kree-Skrull war, which would have worked game-play wise with any almost any two villain groups really, but insists on you using the Kree and Skrull ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the scheme would have specifically instructed you to select 3 Avengers and 3 X-Men, would that have been better?

I think it's blindingly obvious that had that been the case, the first question that would've popped up would be "Well, can't I use Marvel Knights instead? What if I want to stage an epic Illuminati vs. Cabal battle royale? Why can't I do that?"

This way, it's clear what the comic-based inspiration for the scheme is, but it leaves it open to stage your own scenarios with variations on the theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Plus, in the comics, aren't both teams trying to accomplish similar goals: Figuring out how to deal with the Pheonix Force? They just have different plans and aren't working together (mostly cause their plans clash). So I think the scheme works for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring wrote:
It's named as Avengers v X-Men because in this set and the base set together you realistically only can choose Avengers and X-Men as there isn't enough heroes of other teams.

It's called Avengers vs. X-Men because many of the Schemes in this set are callbacks to specific comic book events. Civil War, Civil War II, Charles Soule's Civil War, Dark Reign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
If the scheme would have specifically instructed you to select 3 Avengers and 3 X-Men, would that have been better?

I think it's blindingly obvious that had that been the case, the first question that would've popped up would be "Well, can't I use Marvel Knights instead? What if I want to stage an epic Illuminati vs. Cabal battle royale? Why can't I do that?"

This way, it's clear what the comic-based inspiration for the scheme is, but it leaves it open to stage your own scenarios with variations on the theme...

And, as I always like to do, it lets us set up very interesting stories for our gameplay sessions. I only wish we could have had a Young Avengers affiliation - Avengers vs. Young Avengers???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I've not played it yet, but game-play wise I think this could be one of the most interesting schemes in the set.

I think this scheme was designed to work thematically with the black panther/storm divided card-set.

I'm glad they gave you a bit more thematic freedom to do other things with it though, by letting it be any two affiliations rather than being similar to say the Kree-Skrull war, which would have worked game-play wise with any almost any two villain groups really, but insists on you using the Kree and Skrull ones.

Yeah I like that you can use other groups too - I just wish it was called something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Would Hydra and SHIELD be considered equivalent terms for this? Could I have Nick Fury, Elsa Bloodstone and Skadi as a team vs another group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djhalstead wrote:
Would Hydra and SHIELD be considered equivalent terms for this? Could I have Nick Fury, Elsa Bloodstone and Skadi as a team vs another group?

SHIELD has enough heroes spread over various expansions to hit the required 3: Elsa Bloodstone, Nick Fury, Agent X-13, and Steve Rogers.

So Skadi, Kingpin, Bullseye, and Speedball are all out of luck for now. It would be kind of cool to make a "no affiliation" team. They have more than 3 if you have most of the expansions: Deadpool, Silver Surfer, Ultron, Arkon, and Winter Soldier (and the pariahs Howard and Man-thing if you tracked them down).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mb
To be honest I'd have thought "Avengers vs. X-Men" would have been a no brainer as a future big box theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine. You really have the option. Play Avengers vs. X-Men if you want, play whatever else if you want. Not a problem for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reiter
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Enthrones the Barons of Battleworld makes a great scheme for forming a new Sinister Six, or Brotherhood...or any villain/hero group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally played this scheme solo last night. Found it by no means simple. Hard enough to build a good deck from 6 heroes, nevermind added complication that mixing dome of them will gain you wounds.

Didn't help that I was up against Maria Hill either. She is insanely hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.