Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mayer
United States
Perry
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious why Ron's Year 1 pet is Pidwidgeon. Had to look it up, but looks like it was a gift later from Sirius after he loses Scabbers. Just an odd move to not use scabbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. That is odd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd assume they didn't know how to deal with

(Spoilers for book 2 or 3, I forget which)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Scabbers actually being Peter Pettigrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:

I think there comes a time where spoilers are no longer needed... Book 3 came out, what, 15 years ago at least? You're probably safe at this point, but the spoiler tag is still appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

I think there comes a time where spoilers are no longer needed... Book 3 came out, what, 15 years ago at least? You're probably safe at this point, but the spoiler tag is still appreciated.

Well here's the thing I'm currently reading the books with my daughter and I never read them when they came out so I've actually been spoiled on a couple of things while reading this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmb
Be aware that the game covers all seven years of the books/movies then...

Spoilers abound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoxmaker wrote:

Spoilers abound.

Thanks, do the 7 games line up with the books? Or should we avoid it entirely until we are done (on book 5 now)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm. How fast can you read?

More to your point, odds are you won’t get full-on “spoilers” per se, but you’ll see what I think most would consider mildly-spoiler-y characters and spells that you don’t really have any context for (on par with seeing a movie preview). There’s no “LUKE, I AM YOUR FATHER” reveal within the cards that would specifically be spelled out by the game.

But once you beat game 7, a secret compartment in the box opens up that gives the full backstory of the Dursleys.

No, not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was reading HP for the first time, I would avoid all HP related media until I was done with the books. You will have the greatest experience possible if you get it all for the first time from the books. I don't know if the game spoils anything from books 6/7, but why take the chance? Finish those books and then play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Prasuhn
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
TheBoxmaker wrote:

Spoilers abound.

Thanks, do the 7 games line up with the books? Or should we avoid it entirely until we are done (on book 5 now)?

The game follows the movies and it will spoil the overarching story. However you could just watch all the movie then play the game. My wife and I actually saw most of the movies before cracking any of the books. After watching the Half-Blood prince, something happens that caused us to want to go back and read all the books so that we would know what happens in the final book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Troutman
msg tools
mbmb
eprasuhn wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
TheBoxmaker wrote:

Spoilers abound.

The game follows the movies and it will spoil the overarching story. However you could just watch all the movie then play the game. My wife and I actually saw most of the movies before cracking any of the books. After watching the Half-Blood prince, something happens that caused us to want to go back and read all the books so that we would know what happens in the final book.

The books came first. Read the books before watching the movies.

Although, if the game is following the movies instead of the books, then that makes me somewhat sad. I would have enjoyed a Book 4 reference to SPEW and Dobby wearing all those hats.

Books 4 and 5 are long books, but the movies are only 2.5 hours in length. So there is a LOT of material in the books that is missing from the movies (esp. Goblet of Fire; the movie focuses almost entirely on the tasks, where the book has much more going on.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, movies 4,5 and 6 are horrible. 3 is still ok, but the first 2 are the best as they are the most faithful to the source. I do not remember the last 2, and thus i cannot comment on them. point is, read the books, the movies are by far a much worse experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johansen
msg tools
slydog75 wrote:
TheBoxmaker wrote:

Spoilers abound.

I'm not sure that this question was answered directly, but if it wasn't, the games do NOT line up with the books/movies perfectly. Some elements correlate, but others do not. At GenCon, the staff was dedicated to NOT calling them Books 1, 2, etc. They're GAMES 1, 2, etc., as they were careful to point out.

I'm a Wandhead, so you would think that this loose connectivity would bug me. Yet, the game is so well-designed and fun that I just can't muster enough righteous indignation to matter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RulesGuru wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
TheBoxmaker wrote:

Spoilers abound.

I'm not sure that this question was answered directly, but if it wasn't, the games do NOT line up with the books/movies perfectly. Some elements correlate, but others do not. At GenCon, the staff was dedicated to NOT calling them Books 1, 2, etc. They're GAMES 1, 2, etc., as they were careful to point out.

I'm a Wandhead, so you would think that this loose connectivity would bug me. Yet, the game is so well-designed and fun that I just can't muster enough righteous indignation to matter!

Thanks for the direct answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.