Hide
25 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Possible 'Rogue One' expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
Given that the new movie fits beautifully into the game's theme and setting in time who is hoping for an expansion featuring leaders, events and units that appear in the movie?

Surely this is a no-brainer for FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throws the timeline off. Rogue 1 is before and most of the characters are long gone before the actions of Rebellion and the original trilogy take place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes little to no sense, but I'm sure FFG won't pass up this opportunity. Look at how X-Wing is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
It makes little to no sense, but I'm sure FFG won't pass up this opportunity. Look at how X-Wing is going.

Is X-Wing doing a Rogue One release?

If so, X-Wing is designed for expansions. Rebellion less so. While not impossible, some of us think expansions aren't in the cards for Rebellion. X-Wing is more accessible for more players because the base game doesn't cost a hundred dollars or take 4-5 hours to play. Rebellion is an amazing game but it's for enthusiasts and collectors. Expansions won't be nearly as profitable.

If something was coming out by end of year as a Rogue One tie in, we probably would have heard an announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

Is X-Wing doing a Rogue One release?

If so, X-Wing is designed for expansions. Rebellion less so. While not impossible, some of us think expansions aren't in the cards for Rebellion. X-Wing is more accessible for more players because the base game doesn't cost a hundred dollars or take 4-5 hours to play. Rebellion is an amazing game but it's for enthusiasts and collectors. Expansions won't be nearly as profitable.

If something was coming out by end of year as a Rogue One tie in, we probably would have heard an announcement.

I agree with you, although Fantasy Flight dropped the force awakens set less than a week after announcing it. They do like to surprise us from time to time. I kind of hope they release some expansions for rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
Happy Hallowe'en 2017! This haunted house is "woke"! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

FFG surprised almost everyone with the Mansions of Madness second edition, which went from announcement to retail availability in about 2 weeks.

Like you and others have said, Rebellion is a complex, complete set, spanning the original Star Wars trilogy. Many don't see an easy way to add elements or expansions without throwing some aspects well out of balance.

I wondered about an episodes 1-3 trilogy "expansion" for Rebellion, perhaps including relevant details from the Clone Wars series. However, that expansion would probably need to completely replace all cards and leaders, rather than add to them. It may even require a different or supplemental map(?).

As for Rogue One, I look forward to not yet-another JJ Abrams warmed-over rehash of some previous movie. However, it may not have the necessary depth and scope of 3 iconic movies that Rebellion requires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
Time 2 Roll wrote:
Throws the timeline off. Rogue 1 is before and most of the characters are long gone before the actions of Rebellion and the original trilogy take place.

Really? I haven't seen the latest trailer, but I had thought the idea was that the movie was about how the Rebels stole the Death Star Plans, which happens in Rebellion's mid game. Could be wrong, but timeline-wise, it seems to fit great. The bigger issue I see is that it looks like it's more of a small-group action movie than an epic like the original trilogy, and might be a better fit for IA and X-Wing. Still, a couple new leaders and missions to represent some new movie scenes might not go amiss, or be too difficult to get right. I suppose we'll all have a better sense once we've seen the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just as easily write off the Battle of Yavin as a small-group action movie. There were supposed to be what, 30 Rebel fighters?

Timeline-wise, I think it fits in right around turn 1 or 2. Getting the Death Star Plans objective may well mean not just having the plans in the possession of somebody (Leia) in the Rebel Alliance, but having them where they need to be (on the base).

I look at it as it's already in the game. Rogue One is an Infiltrate mission, essentially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruse
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
It's possible. Just have to see if there would be enough new content for it to be worthwhile. I can see the addition of that new imperial leader and possibly a few of the rebels. Also likely to maybe get a few new units, missions, and objectives. Stinks they can't add any of the new planets.

More likely though, I suspect after episodes 8 and 9 come out...depending on where they take the story. They might have good grounds to make a sequel game based on the new trilogy. Te prequel trilogy doesn't really work as well for the kind of game rebellion is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkhamnative wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

FFG surprised almost everyone with the Mansions of Madness second edition, which went from announcement to retail availability in about 2 weeks.

Like you and others have said, Rebellion is a complex, complete set, spanning the original Star Wars trilogy. Many don't see an easy way to add elements or expansions without throwing some aspects well out of balance.

I wondered about an episodes 1-3 trilogy "expansion" for Rebellion, perhaps including relevant details from the Clone Wars series. However, that expansion would probably need to completely replace all cards and leaders, rather than add to them. It may even require a different or supplemental map(?).

As for Rogue One, I look forward to not yet-another JJ Abrams warmed-over rehash of some previous movie. However, it may not have the necessary depth and scope of 3 iconic movies that Rebellion requires.

I don't think I need to see expansions for Rebellion - sometimes it's okay to have a done-in-one experience. That being said, I'd far rather see an expansion based on the elements and mythology of Episodes I - III instead of the Disney spinoffs like Force Awakens and Rogue One.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
"Long gone" ? Its IMMEDIATELY before the first movie - it probably ends with the plans being on the Corellian Frigate that's in the opening scene of episode IV!

As an expansion it'd have some rule changes and no doubt start the game with the initial Death Star on the build track instead of the board and Rebelllion Reputation 3 further away from the start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrellArcher wrote:

I don't think I need to see expansions for Rebellion - sometimes it's okay to have a done-in-one experience. That being said, I'd far rather see an expansion based on the elements and mythology of Episodes I - III instead of the Disney spinoffs like Force Awakens and Rogue One.

I agree that Rebellion can't truly be expanded upon, at least not without upsetting the very careful balance of the two sides and the theme that the game puts off so well.

Rather, I would like to see (and would pay for) a separate "Rebellion" game in the prequel universe.

This one would probably have several different elements more notably:

- A more even army for both the Republic and CIS. This would make the game more of a tactical game where both sides are now competing in a military campaign but the CIS is trying to trigger order 66. something I don't know.
- Perhaps a two act game where the second "act" is triggered by order 66
- Different/more planets (considering a lot of planets in Rebellion are also apart of the prequels)
- New leaders

I'd pay for it at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
"Long gone" ? Its IMMEDIATELY before the first movie - it probably ends with the plans being on the Corellian Frigate that's in the opening scene of episode IV!

And since they're being pursued by Vader, and the movie is a one-shot, there is a good chance the protagonists will not survive this movie. Doesn't really lend itself to an interesting game of Rebellion. "You beamed the plans. Game over."

One of the things that has been discussed is the system of product codes used by FFG. Products that have or are expected to have expansions have a unique identifier. Like Star Wars X-Wing products might start with SWX and then a number while the RPG products are SWR (I don't remember if those are the exact ones. I'm not looking at them now but you get the point)

Star Wars Rebellion does not have a unique identifier. It's part of a generic line used for Star Wars one-shots. As I said in my earlier post, this game is at a price point where expansions may not be especially lucrative (especially for an ip that FFG does not own). If you were to go to your FLGS and ask a hundred regulars how many play/own a copy of X-Wing and then ask the same how many owns a copy of Rebellion, I expect you'd find a great disparity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebellion starts prior to Ep4.

Basically, I'd see the events of Rogue One taking place during turns 1 and 2. Ep4 takes place during turns 3 & 4 (that's about as early as you could get for blowing up planets, getting the plans to the rebels, and taking out a death star).

So, Rogue One is already part of Rebellion, so the expansion is built in. The only issue at all is that the characters from Rogue One aren't in the game...but they don't appear in the original trilogy, so they just aren't deemed important enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
harvest4 wrote:
It's possible. Just have to see if there would be enough new content for it to be worthwhile. I can see the addition of that new imperial leader and possibly a few of the rebels. Also likely to maybe get a few new units, missions, and objectives. Stinks they can't add any of the new planets.

This is honestly what I'd like to see. A modestly priced mini-expansion to add a little more variety to the game. A couple new leaders per side (and perhaps some replacement/substitute recruitment cards for existing leaders -- new Mon Mothma event, anyone?), maybe a new Rebel objective or two to swap in.

It would probably complicate setup, since some of the things you'd get would probably be optional/substitute cards for decks you don't really want to actually get bigger or significantly alter the distribution of, but I think there's an audience for another step or two to randomize or customize inclusion for the chance to bring a little more surprise and variety into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
KinginAmber wrote:

And since they're being pursued by Vader, and the movie is a one-shot, there is a good chance the protagonists will not survive this movie. Doesn't really lend itself to an interesting game of Rebellion. "You beamed the plans. Game over."

I don't know... A nice coop on the universe of SW, ending with success as the successful beaming of the plans to Princess Organa could be nice if well design.
Even if we forecast the terrible fate of the crew, they sacrificed themselves so the light of rebellion may still shine... The gameplay consists in making this sacrifice not in vain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
kmanweiss wrote:
The only issue at all is that the characters from Rogue One aren't in the game...but they don't appear in the original trilogy, so they just aren't deemed important enough.

Well, we've got Mon Mothma in Rebellion.

Jyn and the gang don't really seem like the diplomat type, anyway. I'd imagine they're more likely to be represented by one of those little tan plastic troopers than a leader token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Time 2 Roll wrote:

Nope, in the timeline of Rebellion the game starts before the Death Star is complete as shown by the fact they don't start with a super laser online card in their hand.

There's actually a scene in the trailers where the laser is being installed and is basically a thematic representation of the empire drawing that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Garriath wrote:
Time 2 Roll wrote:

Really? I haven't seen the latest trailer, but I had thought the idea was that the movie was about how the Rebels stole the Death Star Plans, which happens in Rebellion's mid game. Could be wrong, but timeline-wise, it seems to fit great. The bigger issue I see is that it looks like it's more of a small-group action movie than an epic like the original trilogy, and might be a better fit for IA and X-Wing. Still, a couple new leaders and missions to represent some new movie scenes might not go amiss, or be too difficult to get right. I suppose we'll all have a better sense once we've seen the movie.

The entire movie is literally represented in game by a single roll off on a mission.

Which is cool when you think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
If they do expansions I very much suspect it'll be more akin to the war of the rings expansions where certain theaters or subjects are given more emphasis via cards or missions, or more "what if" scenarios are added, like perhaps a Jabba the Hut missions where you can capture Leia and if she isn't rescued before being interrogated a jabba the hut hero comes into play. Or maybe new missions cards that are like "rebel base found" where the rebel player if successful has to give up the location of the rebel base, but the deathstar and 4 tie fighters are instantly teleported to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
David Umstattd wrote:
Time 2 Roll wrote:

Nope, in the timeline of Rebellion the game starts before the Death Star is complete as shown by the fact they don't start with a super laser online card in their hand.

There's actually a scene in the trailers where the laser is being installed and is basically a thematic representation of the empire drawing that card.

The Empire has THREE of those cards. Are we to believe that every time they fire the superlaser they have to remove it and install a new one ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It apparently requires some serious maintenance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
Time 2 Roll wrote:

The Empire has THREE of those cards. Are we to believe that every time they fire the superlaser they have to remove it and install a new one ?

Blowing up a planet aint like dusting crops boy!

The limitation on the number of cards I feel is more the political justification required to operate the DS.

The fact you start without a laser I always thought meant the DS isn't quite finished yet and you need to do R&D to finish it up. If it was finished already you'd be able to fire it right away without having to do any R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
Smug mode:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/226840/star-war...

Exactly what I suggested....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:

Good for you.

I'm still right though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.