Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i really should have more plays under my belt before i go attempting homebrew variants, but after you play vanilla solo Thief for yourself you'll agree it needs a little spice. These suggestions are untested, but i hope to give them a try tomorrow:

Easy: after setting up the entrance, the tribe symbol showing on the top tile of the draw deck is the first goblin tribe with "taboo" forbidden areas. with 3+ Loot Drop Level it is deadly to be upon that tribe's dark tiles. it is taboo! any time an ambush tile is revealed the tribe on the dark side of that ambush becomes the new (single, solitary) Revealed tribe. if you reveal multiple different ambushing tribes (via Flare, i assume) then use whatever tribe is currently the top tile of the draw pile instead. Rememberber that Loot Drop Level resets to 3 when you Stash Loot at the entrance!

Medium: same as above, but revealing an ambush also places threetwo population of unmoving, unaffiliated goblin disks on that ambush spot. anytime Theif attempts to pass through goblins you must check: if goblin population + 1 is greater than Theif's Stealth then the Theif is attacked and dies. Unnatural Evasion might come in handy, especially since unstashed tokens are -1 Stealth each. if you run out of green disks then maybe think about Hand Crossbowing a few stacks.

Hard: same as above, except goblin stacks start at fourthree population, taboo dark tiles are deadly at 2+ Loot Drop Level, and the taboo symbol is whichever tribes are NOT showing on the top of the draw pile at any point during the turn (so two tribes, unchanged by ambushes).

...thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thief used to only upgrade when dying and Flare would kill him if the center space hit. So you had a 50/50 chance of returning to the start when using the flare, but you got to upgrade.

Might work here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
The Thief used to only upgrade when dying and Flare would kill him if the center space hit. So you had a 50/50 chance of returning to the start when using the flare, but you got to upgrade.

Might work here.
oh, interesting. yes, there was a distinct lack of dying that didn't feel very Thiefy haha. I'll give that a try! i think i might also like to see how that compares instead to death if the Flare hits a crystal (revealed or dark, both) or such since i feel like i might be able to control that slightly. push-your-luck either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of making certain dark tiles off-limits, or at least painful to enter. It's very easy to implement.

Also, I need to finish cleaning up the rules for the alternate rules/variant that Patrick mentioned so it can get posted. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
got to play around with this tonight. it wasn't easy keeping up with which tiles are taboo so i might just say it's always the top tile of the draw stack. it's essentially just an occasional cube drain via Hide Loot and not much of a fun hindrance at all. mmm, I'll probably just drop it all together for simplicity's sake.

on the other hand, goblins were a great addition! i really felt like to Flare recklessly was to risk surrounding yourself in a mine field, especially while holding unstashed treasure. oh, and the upgrades really shine with multiple ways to dig yourself back out of that pinch.

for now I'm enjoying Easy/Medium/Hard as 1/2/3 goblins upon ambush. Medium is for sure fun, but Hard could be pretty limiting since i believe you need FIVE Stealth to Backstab a three population green stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.