BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Looking for some input on unit design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Lester
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The game I'm working on right now deals with territorial combat (ie - risk) but uses an interesting card-based battle system. I've revised many aspects of the game to make it more accessible, and I'm torn between two ways that units could be implemented.

The setting of the game is vaguely fantasy based (medieval with a mage or two, perhaps) and is pretty open in terms of the types of units that can be implemented.

The two main ideas i had were:

1 - Each player may produce units each turn, choosing from a common 5 or so (ie - swordsmen, cavalier, mage, etc) - nothing too exciting. The primary element of each players army, however, would be hero cards (maybe 20 - 40 unique cards). Heros would be found/obtained somewhat arbitrarily, so a player's skill in the game would be adapting to the unique traits of whatever cards they own.

2 - Three widely different factions. Each player would choose a faction to play as, and would be able to produce units only from their available types. One faction would be magic based, one simple machines + gunpowder, the final being more traditional knights and such. If hero's would be included in this game type, they would only be a supplement to the armies formed by each player.

I could simply merge the two ideas, but I'd like to keep card amount to a minimum. This is not a CCG, so there will be a considerable amount of other pieces going into the box, which makes card amount somewhat of an issue.

I think both ideas could create an interesting game, so I just wanted to hear an external opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest merging the two ideas, and trimming down the number of hero cards you'd have - maybe only 2-4 possible, per faction. Or, have the hero cards shown only on a reference sheet, while they're represented in the game with counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Baskir
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Asymmetric design is more interesting, but harder to balance. I would be careful with hero cards - if too powerful they may either unbalance the game or swamp the other units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lester
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The Hero's, if high in availability, would be only a little stronger than the base units. The idea behind them would be to add battle choices and uniqueness - not simply "whoever gets the Beheamoth wins".

I think I'm going to go ahead with the factions - but try and integrate heros as well.

Right now, the new issue is consistency in the time period. My friend and I keep getting ideas about cool units - then realize it wouldnt fit the time period directly.

Hell, there might even be naval battles.

Anyway, thanks guys for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.