Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Knight
United States
Deltona
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can someone explain how this works because I don't think the rules did a great job of explaining it. I got how everything else in the game worked, but the damn HP pool leaves me scratching my head. We played the game and I like it, but we just decided to give each creature its own HP until we got this sorted out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very easy. But I agree that the rulebook wasn't perfect on this.

1) Instead of giving each unit their own HP, a unit instead takes damage to the HP pool of the blueprint (alpha).

2) When that HP goes to 0 or below, the unit that recieved the killing blow is removed and the HP pool is restored to full. Overkill damage is ignored and does not remove HP from the new pool.

That's it.
It's most important that you can't just remove any unit, but the one that is attacked when the HP pool goes to 0. But the pool thing opens interesting tactical options. Say your enemy has two units and you can attack one of them once and the other one twice. You are sure that you can kill one because total damage (minus armor for each first attack on a unit) will exceed their total HP pool. Now your order of attack determines which enemy unit will be removed, because your first, and maybe your second attack won't get their HP pool to 0, but your third will for sure. Therefore, you are in control of which enemy unit will be removed. Also, building a new unit of a type that has been revealed and thus has received their initial HP, does not add additional HP to the current value of the pool. The HP pool is not a sum of all the HP of all units of a type. It's just one shared life, the loss of which has to be payed with the removal of the killed unit.

Got it?
If you didn't, just keep asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick example.
Say, your alpha has 12 HP and 2 armor, therefore there are 12 HP in its HP pool. And you have, say 4 of those units on the field.
It's your opponent's turn and he or she attacks one of your units for 8 damage. So now you subtract 8-2 = 6 HP from that alpha's HP pool.
Now, another of your opponent's unit attacks the same unit for 4 damage.
Your unit has already spent its armor for this round, so the 4 HP are subtracted fully, resulting in just 2 HP remaining on your alpha.
In a third attack, this time to another unit of the same alpha, your opponent does 8 damage again. This unit hasn't been attacked before this round, so it still has its armor, but the resulting 6 damage still kill the unit. Then, this particular unit is removed and the HP pool is restored to 12, meaning that the unit that was attacked twice before but wasn't removed due to a killing blow, is also back at full health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Knight
United States
Deltona
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That example was straight forward enough, but what if instead of attacking a 3rd time the enemy ended their turn. Now on my turn I have a unit type with 2 HP at the end of my turn I summon the same unit of the same type. So if the opponent somehow managed to attack that unit on his/her turn, then it only has 2 hp until a unit dies then the HP pool for all the same unit is reset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daan haeyen
Netherlands
Amersfoort
-
flag msg tools
Hi,

If you summon a unit of a type that has damage, is the hit points pool refilled?

Thanks, Daan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tzvika Harpaz
Israel
Kiryat Tivon
North
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
daanh wrote:
Hi,

If you summon a unit of a type that has damage, is the hit points pool refilled?

Thanks, Daan

Summoning a unit does not replenish that Alpha's hit points pool. The only times the pool is replenished is by the death of a unit from that Alpha or by a card effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.