Hide
9 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Can you help with some general gameplay suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
blueshinymarbl blueshinymarble
msg tools
My wife and I played the first scenario last night and ran to a few personal gripes. Have you guys tried playing with 2 players? I'm curious as to how you felt about the general flow of the game with just 2 investigators.

Did you feel like you had enough actions? First edition gave you 2 actions, same as second edition, but we felt there was less going on on the game board. A single search action in first edition let you look at all the exploration cards in the room, whereas second edition forces you to spend actions for each individual token; did you feel this slowed down the game drastically? Did you feel like your turn was ending too quickly or you felt like you couldn't do enough on your turn? Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remedy this? We thought either giving investigators and extra action or playing with more investigators between us would work.

Did you feel like the flow of the game was being broken up too much by having to constantly look to the app to read flavor text and complete checks? We didn't mind so much and its fun to discover the story as you play, but I feel the flow of the game seems to really take a hit when I have to stop to place tiles and tokens. I should preface by saying that I realise this is a very personal gripe and I really do indeed find this mechanic fun; I bring it up tho because sometimes the English used in the app is a little too difficult for my wife because she's not a native English speaker, so I have to try and explain what's going on in a way that remains simple and fun for her. Its a fun exercise in communication, but I wish there was some way I could maintain a good flow with the game.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I do not. I have so far played 2 games that were 2P and enjoyed both of them a lot. I do not find 2 actions per player all that restrictive at all. I guess if you and your wife do, the solution, as you mentioned is to play with 2 investigators each instead of just 1.

My 3rd was 4P and while I enjoyed it, as the game progressed and the Mythos phase seemed to get longer with more monsters on the board etc. I felt the game started to drag on a bit waiting for others to take their turns and then to go through all the mythos stuff.

We played the 1st Scenario (4P) and then I've played Escape from Innsmouthx2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played few 2 player games... the game app scales down the complexity with less players pretty well... but I know what you mean especially with OCD, I wanna explore everything in every game but sometimes it's best to pick and choose. My only gripe I had (but fixed it easily) was since I own all editions and expansions, I have quite a stack of tiles....it got cumbersome sometimes searching for the right tile since they are double sided!

(fix: I just labeled each tile like they did in Tide of Iron (1a,1b,2a,2b..etc)...then made a list of tiles and sort of alphabeticalized order and now finding any tile is a snap!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played solo with 2 investigators and really enjoyed it. Feel it's so much better with more things to investigate and makes you think more carefully about what you do each turn. Really enjoy the descriptions for each area in the game, brings the rooms to life and certainly helps you prioritise your actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blueshinymarble wrote:
Did you feel like the flow of the game was being broken up too much by having to constantly look to the app to read flavor text and complete checks? We didn't mind so much and its fun to discover the story as you play, but I feel the flow of the game seems to really take a hit when I have to stop to place tiles and tokens. I should preface by saying that I realise this is a very personal gripe and I really do indeed find this mechanic fun; I bring it up tho because sometimes the English used in the app is a little too difficult for my wife because she's not a native English speaker, so I have to try and explain what's going on in a way that remains simple and fun for her. Its a fun exercise in communication, but I wish there was some way I could maintain a good flow with the game.

Thank you

As you have asked for suggestions may I suggest you act as a kind of keeper and always keep hold of the device with the app. Only pass it over for puzzles.

The only other suggestion I have is to sort the item cards into alphabetical order.

Like you, I do find searching for a specific room tile slows down the game but that could be because I have both expansions. I try to keep indoor tiles face up and outdoor tiles face down and tiles that are outdoor on both sides separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
We played few 2 player games... the game app scales down the complexity with less players pretty well... but I know what you mean especially with OCD, I wanna explore everything in every game but sometimes it's best to pick and choose. My only gripe I had (but fixed it easily) was since I own all editions and expansions, I have quite a stack of tiles....it got cumbersome sometimes searching for the right tile since they are double sided!

(fix: I just labeled each tile like they did in Tide of Iron (1a,1b,2a,2b..etc)...then made a list of tiles and sort of alphabeticalized order and now finding any tile is a snap!)

I'm sure your label system works great. But I organize mine by set, the app tells you what set they come from. So it's pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blueshinymarbl blueshinymarble
msg tools
ParisPink wrote:

My 3rd was 4P and while I enjoyed it, as the game progressed and the Mythos phase seemed to get longer with more monsters on the board etc. I felt the game started to drag on a bit waiting for others to take their turns and then to go through all the mythos stuff.

We played the 1st Scenario (4P) and then I've played Escape from Innsmouthx2.

I wonder if this problem will show up with just two players. Does the flavor text ever get too "samey"? Did you find yourself just pressing the "next" button through walls of text?

holywolfman wrote:

I guess now that there's more stuff to explore you need to be more frugal with your actions. I'll have to definitely have a sit down and organise all the tiles and monsters and what not thanks for that.

Nicola Zee wrote:
[q="blueshinymarble"]...
Like you, I do find searching for a specific room tile slows down the game but that could be because I have both expansions. I try to keep indoor tiles face up and outdoor tiles face down and tiles that are outdoor on both sides separate.

Will do. We still want to play the first edition stories because we feel keeper versus player adds a fun dynamic to the game. While I won't be putting all the tiles together, I'll definitely have to come up with some kind of system for sorting them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a single two player session thus far.

We enjoyed it, and didn't have any concerns about not enough or too much. Several elements were indeed left unexplored by game's end (even in the starting room), but that just gives a little more character to a future session.

Turns sometimes did go quick, but this didn't bother us. With only two, your turn comes back around pretty quickly.

The way we handled the explore action was to have the app visible to both players, and one read while the other placed tokens. This kept us both engaged, and though it did slow things down and focus our attention on the app, I'd be hard pressed to say we felt removed from the game. Naturally the app experience is very much a part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Matheus
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing a couple videos and reviews(I haven't played the game yet) It works good for 2 Players. Maybe, like someone said above, if you and your wife in the next time you play, with 2 investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.