BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Podcasts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been listening to "The Long View" and quite enjoying it. It does in depth reviews more established games but what I like most about it is the way it uses those as a springboard for discussion about bigger issues and topics within board games - theme, rulesets, mechanics, education etc etc.

I'm not into the cult of the new and have limited space and funds anyway. So I'm not after a podcast that does reviews of the latest games.

I have tried ludology, and am still persisting with it, and while I have full respect for the breadth of topics they've covered and the thought and planning and so forth that has clearly gone into it, I just find it a bit dry to listen to; I also feel (probably unfairly at this stage) that there isn't enough breadth of opinion on it to keep me interested when they discuss the topic.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other podcasts that I should check out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Flip The Table podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roth
United States
cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Secret Cabal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not necessarily looking for reviews of the latest games, but informal discussions about the boardgaming hobby, then you can try Punching Cardboard mb. I always enjoy the light-hearted banter between Jim and Eric. Oft-times, their discussions of a particular game takes on a slight session report feel as they talk about the more memorable plays of the game.

They also display a little music and whisky, but I listen to them for the board gaming discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you aren't bothered by the latest hotness, I would recommend working your way through Mark Johnson's Boardgames to Go. When I got into the hobby in 2012, I listened to all the old episodes of this, going back through his archive from the beginning. For me, it was very formative. Mark loves the hobby, loves the classics, and will even try out a "newish" game from time to time.

So much depends on whether you enjoy the host(s), and share their inclinations. I've listened to many boardgame podcasts (I'm in my car a lot). For me, BGTG is as good as it gets. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
saccenti wrote:
I've listened to many boardgame podcasts (I'm in my car a lot). For me, BGTG is as good as it gets. thumbsup

+1 Mark is probably the podcast I admire the most. There are several other fun ones. Flip the Table for me is so fun every time (it isn't about the game here, it is totally about the hosts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions

I had a listen to flip the table yesterday, good fun.
And last night looking I came across the secret cabal and that's more like what i'm after I think, just had a listen this morning.
Will definitely check out BGTG as well. And punching cardboard.

Moving house and staring down the barrel of a mega-commute till I can get work closer to the new place so I'll be very appreciative in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Cabal and BGTG could not be more dissimilar. Night and day.

But it's quite possible to enjoy them both, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless self-promotion: Cardboard Insanity. Interviews with designers and publishers. Reviews of games. We focus on indies. Except of course when we interview Bruno Faidutti or Reiner Knizia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.