Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this last week with a friend and we had a question about the timing and effect of the Jet Ski card. We know it needs to be played in the Advance/Action phase, but does it precede playing a card or does it happen after a card is played to modify the play?

Here is an example. If I can play JetSki before playing my card, I can just immediately find myself at any spot in the Channel. If so, I can spend my card this round to attempt to catch a wave. This essentially allows you to skip / gain a turn.

Alternatively, if JetSki just increases the range of my Paddle Out play, I could use it along with any card I play to arrive at any place I want in the Channel.

This too is a benefit as I may save me a turn or two getting into the right position to catch on my next turn, but it's not as big a benefit as playing Jet Ski first and then playing a card 2nd.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All stoke cards are played and resolved before any player cards are revealed.

EDIT: added italicized words for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:
All stoke cards are played before any cards are revealed.

Revealed or played?

If revealed, that means I'd be playing a 'Catch' card while on shore... seems kind of strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
kevster wrote:
All stoke cards are played before any cards are revealed.

Revealed or played?

If revealed, that means I'd be playing a 'Catch' card while on shore... seems kind of strange.

Stoke cards must be played and resolved during the Advance/Play Phase prior to any player cards being played. If multiple players wish to play conflicting stoke cards then they are resolved in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Played this last week with a friend and we had a question about the timing and effect of the Jet Ski card. We know it needs to be played in the Advance/Action phase, but does it precede playing a card or does it happen after a card is played to modify the play?

Here is an example. If I can play JetSki before playing my card, I can just immediately find myself at any spot in the Channel. If so, I can spend my card this round to attempt to catch a wave. This essentially allows you to skip / gain a turn.

Alternatively, if JetSki just increases the range of my Paddle Out play, I could use it along with any card I play to arrive at any place I want in the Channel.

This too is a benefit as I may save me a turn or two getting into the right position to catch on my next turn, but it's not as big a benefit as playing Jet Ski first and then playing a card 2nd.

Thoughts?

Hey Zachary! Your first example is correct - the Jet Ski card lets you position yourself in the channel so that you can catch a wave on that same turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Games World
Saudi Arabia
Jeddah
Jeddah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the Jet Ski card, can we play it even if we are at the shore (beach) or we should be at the channel?

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may play it while at shore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems to contradict the card - the top of the Jet Ski card says "When in the channel". I wouldn't have thought being at the shore would also count as being in the channel and would mean you have to at least paddle out prior to using the jet ski card on the next or future turn in order to position yourself. Otherwise you are very much skipping a turn, surely?

How I imagine it should work:

1. Player at shore, chooses paddle out card (1 movement).
2. Paddles out, waves advance
3. Player reveals jet ski card to jump to the wave six spot and plays a card to catch that wave.

That is certainly how we play it anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eldooderino wrote:
That seems to contradict the card - the top of the Jet Ski card says "When in the channel". I wouldn't have thought being at the shore would also count as being in the channel and would mean you have to at least paddle out prior to using the jet ski card on the next or future turn in order to position yourself. Otherwise you are very much skipping a turn, surely?

Page 8 of the rules explicitly states that the Shore is considered part of the Channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.