Subject: The Others or The Others: 7 Sins????? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So The other day I was talking about and showing a mate the game.
I said to him "So this is The Others: 7 Sins......" when I noticed as I said that, that it was actually just 'The Others' on the box.

This was confusing to me as I had been referencing it as 'The Others: 7 Sins' since the start of the kickstarter. I even went to check the kickstarter and that says 'The Others: 7 Sins'....... but as I can see now....... no box actually has that. They all have just 'The Others'.

Does anyone know - or have I missed - a reason for this change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box on the kickstarter looks like it has the subtitle... I haven't gotten my copy yet so can't verify.... but I think nontheless the game is technically The Others.

The 7 siins subtitle is basically the same as saying Season 1.

I'm sure if 7 sins does well. There will be a season 2 aka... The Others: some monster type name.

Perhaps The Others: The Old Ones That would make me happy anyway, even if I do have Cthulhu wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost certainly the same reason there was a fairly vocal 'but it's only got 2 sins in the box' group of backers at the start of the KS campaign. Save confusion at retail. Which reminds me, there wasn't a huge amount of advertising in the base box for the expansions was there? CMON needs to take a lesson from FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I remember that during the campaign, the Apocalypse box didn't have the "7 sins" text, which led me and others to believe that "7 sins" was just for this version of the game, similar to "season 3" and "black plague" for zombicide. "The Others" would be the actual game system name, so future games would be "The Others: Night Terrors" or "The Others: Ponies of Death", or whatnot.

I'd also not be surprised if they removed the "7 sins" title to keep people in retail from being mad that the game only contained 2 sins. That seemed to be one of the biggest complaints from people during the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that they thought that 'The Others: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 Sins' would be awkward, so they decided to keep it simple on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markblasco wrote:
I remember that during the campaign, the Apocalypse box didn't have the "7 sins" text, which led me and others to believe that "7 sins" was just for this version of the game, similar to "season 3" and "black plague" for zombicide. "The Others" would be the actual game system name, so future games would be "The Others: Night Terrors" or "The Others: Ponies of Death", or whatnot.

I remember hearing Eric mention that O:7S was his biggest undertaking yet in game design and that it really took it out of him. Remember, unlike Zombicide it was designed by only one man.

I would guess that Eric is done with this chapter of his game designing and The Others has placated his thirst for this particular genre. Who would want any more variety than is already available with the existing plugin-and-play style content? I feel this is all we'll be getting, which is plenty in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
markblasco wrote:
"The Others: Ponies of Death"

I hear it is going to be "The Others: Donkeys of Death"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Robinson
United Kingdom
SLOUGH
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely I only count 5 sins within the collection. That is unless I've miscounted. But yeah I've noticed that their own website takes you to the same page despite clicking on The Others or The Others 7 Sins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
The WIP manual had "The Others: 7 Sins" printed up the side. The final release manual only has "The Others" printed up the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Wagner
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play this at GENCON. The person running the game session noted that it was originally called The Others: 7 Sins but was now called just The Others. I didn't ask any further details on the name change though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah..... I forgot about that.

I remember thinking that that made sense to change it so as people buying it off the shelf aren't confused or feel mislead.

Though personally, I liked having the colon and 7 sins...... it straight away gave the theme more direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC: As stated, The Others was always the game title with 7 Sins being this 1st season.
During the KS it looked like The Others: Apocalypse was the 1st expansion planned for after the initial release, as it was stated that it had been planned for much later (after the KS). The Apocalypse box was brought forward to the KS due to backer demand - basically everyone and their dog kept saying that the 4 horsemen would be a great (and obvious) SG/expansion, so CMON brought it forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.