Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First a warning, I have only played one practice game of Kremlin with one other player, so my understanding of the rules is quite limited. But maybe some of the Kremlin veterans here can advise me on a small variation of the game I would like to attempt.

I am having a new group of players try Kremlin in a few days, and I wanted them to be immediately engaged in the game's premise. So I would like to incorporate the most recognizable of the 1928 Politicians with the Modern Game... Lenin, Trotsky, Stalin, etc. Does anyone else think this can work relatively easy with a few modifications?

For example, I was considering immediately aging any 1928 Politician 10 or 15 years once they enter play (since Lenin is the oldest at a comparatively young 54). Regarding the Code Letters to help identify them, I plan to print a modified Influence Sheet with the 1928 Politicians occupying the bottom AA-FF slots for ease of reference. Can anyone find an obvious conflict of rules or game balance this would cause, since smaller exploits should not be an issue with a group of new players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I haven't seen the JR game and am not familiar with those politician cards, so I don't know what issues might be created by aging everybody. It's worth a try.
Do you care about historical accuracy? The 1928 scenario actually starts out with a problem as Lenin died in 1924. Trotsky died in 1940, so lasted only another 12 years past the date of that one.
Have fun with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No cares about historical accuracy, I only wanted to showcase as many popular names and faces as possible. An eventual showdown between Stalin and Putin for Party Chief would be quite memorable.

The age range for the Modern Politicians is 42-70. That is why I was especially concerned about Lenin, who many players already claim to be overpowered. At age 54, he would be among the youngest of the Modern Politicians, possibly making him more potent. I also wanted to include Khrushchev, but at a natural 31, he would be off the charts young and practically immortal here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than age up the politicians, it seems like it would be easier to adjust downward the ages on the health chart (i.e. have a 45 y/o politician roll on the 65 year old line of the health chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is actually a brilliant suggestion, not just for ease of use, but also for thematic reasons. In those earlier times, people would not live as long and often die young, so I like the idea of 1928 Politicians having a much harder time getting healthier.

But do you think it would greatly reduce the chance of them ever coming into play? If they are not dealt into the initial Politburo, phase 6 only sees Politicians being added in Age-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Well, if you're not too concerned about historical accuracy then it might just be fun to see what happens in a random draw and how they often they fight their way up. If somebody chooses them, then they may get promoted in.
If you really want them there, then just declare that those politicians must start as part of the politburo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this should be absolutely fine in terms of balance. If you age the historical Politicians that will sort out the imbalance. (In a standard game I'd age them 20 years, but 10-15 is fine for Modern).

Note that Lenin will be utterly undesirable if you're playing "Ill and can't recover" with him.

The only thing to make sure of is that you have a Politician deck of roughly the same size as you'd get if you were only using one set of Politicians. If it gets too large, it reduces competition for Influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the advice.

What we ultimately decided to do was roll the 1928 politicians at -5 for the Health Phase, to represent the antiquated medical care of that period. To balance this further, and acknowledge their significance to the development of the Soviet Union, all 1928 politicians started the game on the board. If they were not randomly selected to be in the Politburo, they were then assigned into the four remaining People slots at the bottom. Lastly, as a nod to the 1928 rules, Vladimir Lenin started as Party Chief.

Surprisingly, even in Lenin’s fragile state, he waved successfully at the first October Revolution Parade, and made at least three attempts before finally succumbing to his illness. Needless to say, the only player who bid on him with two or three Influence, was very happy with that return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.