Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

Yesterday we played a 4 player game. I had the feeling that it was too easy for the infected to win. The characters are all very close together at the beginning so it's very easy for the host to infect other people.

Because swapping cards is not voluntary (correct?) the survivors can't do much against attempts from the infected.

Is it better with 6 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Hi

Yesterday we played a 4 player game. I had the feeling that it was too easy for the infected to win. The characters are all very close together at the beginning so it's very easy for the host to infect other people.

That's somewhat group dependent, our experience is somewhat opposite. Our group of 4 or sometimes 5 (with many plays) usually avoid trading (also host, because then it's sort of obvious) and humans win easily unless the host manages to hoard enough gas cans. Lately we've tried to change that so that trading happens more often and doesn't mean that it's the host that triggers it. Fight the group think, so to say.

First turns usually went like this, explore, enter, search, return to center room (where no trading happens). After that most of us went to our separate ways if the layout allowed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like jhsa implies, 4-player game should be easier for the non-infected, because it is easier to avoid the other players. (You can't trade in the center room.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GarfieldKlon wrote:
Hi

Because swapping cards is not voluntary (correct?) the survivors can't do much against attempts from the infected.

Is it better with 6 players?

As an average, 4-player games are quite the opposite: far more difficult for the host to win, as they are less potential victims walking about and making it more apparent when something dramatic during a trade happens.
As you suggested, staying together as a group is rather risky, as it makes it far easier for the host to reach one or more victims.
From my experience, the best approach is spreading through the complex through exploration.

Personally, for me the sweet spot for the game is 5-6 players, as there are far more opportunities for interaction and the tabletalk/accusations can get very intense. In a talky group, the host can take advantage of the accusations and turn them into his advantage by fueling the
distrust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Like jhsa implies, 4-player game should be easier for the non-infected, because it is easier to avoid the other players. (You can't trade in the center room.)

We've played a half dozen 4 player games and the survivors won every time. Granted, the same person was the infected person literally every single time (seriously) but I think I agree with what others have said in that in 4 player it's a bit too hard for the infected.

So I think from now on we'll use the optional rule of requiring 4 gas to destroy the hive in a 4 player game. Should balance things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.