Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo» Forums » General

Subject: How is this edition for adults? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
How does this version play for adults in comparison to the original Gulo Gulo?

Now here's where I am coming from in case you wonder about my tastes. To me, there are several games where the expansion or reimplementation was nowhere near as good as the original for me, even for adults. For example, in my personal opinion (which may not reflect many other people's opinions),
Tsuro > Tsuro of the Seas
King of Tokyo > King of New York
One Night Ultimate Werewolf > One Night Ultimate Vampire

The aforementioned original games thrived and succeeded on their simplicity, and in my opinion their reimplementations added more fiddly things that did not really enhance the gameplay but for me served as a distraction.

An exception to this is a game by Haba:
Animal Upon Animal: Balancing Bridge > Animal Upon Animal

Personally I felt the gameplay additions in Balancing Bridge served as a significant enhancement, not too complicated but gave some direction and slight goal-oriented strategy.

Now I know Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo is by Haba, so I'm curious if this is along the lines of Balancing Bridge's enhancements in terms of value, or if it just adds more fiddly things for the sake of being fiddly. I know the rules for both the original and this new version, but I'm wondering about people's EXPERIENCES with adults. I have adult friends who enjoy Coconuts, Dr. Eureka, Looping Louie, and Animal Upon Animal, so we do enjoy our good share of fun dexterity games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the new version is far easier to set up and more interesting than the original. Plus the theme makes some sense than wolverines trying to rescue one of their own from the nest.

Why more interesting? It is one of the few kids games that has 3 distinct acts and the patrolling mummy in the second act (exploring the pyramid corridor to reach the tomb) adds an interesting layer absent in Gulo Gulo.

If the mummy lands on an explorer space it will either take a scarab from a explorer (you need 2 to enter the tomb to have a chance at winning) or send the explorer back outside the pyramid. (The fact you don't go back to the start in the new version is a plus). This makes for a wonderful catch up mechanism in that you can, towards the end of the second act, move the patrolling mummy to either block an easy to get to space (or tomb entrance) or force an opponent to surrender a scarab.

I had doubts getting this version as I wasn't a fan of the original, but this is a joy to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsay Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pusboyau wrote:
(The fact you don't go back to the start in the new version is a plus).

You don't always go back to the start in the original either. You go back to the next yard tile of the one you failed to steal. Only if there is no yard tile of the same colour behind you do you go back to the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholle wrote:
pusboyau wrote:
(The fact you don't go back to the start in the new version is a plus).

You don't always go back to the start in the original either. You go back to the next yard tile of the one you failed to steal. Only if there is no yard tile of the same colour behind you do you go back to the start.

Thanks for the clarification Lindsey, been a long time since I played Gulo Gulo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.