Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen,

I have now tried two of the small scenerios for BtC, and while I find the premise very exciting and am starting to avoid rules mistakes, the impression so far has been, that CC is far stronger than the forces they have met.

I am therefore wondering what the play balance is for the different published as well as extra scenarios that have been made, and am I am looking for a scenario that is as balanced as possible. It is of course possible that it is simply my poor play that has resulted in my balance issues.

But it leads me to ask, whether anyone have great strategic solutions that gives options for the allied forces against CC, at least in the smaller scenarios that are the only ones I have tried so far. If the small scenarios are not balanced (but I suppose they are), it would be a sure way to make beginners run away from the game, which would be a shame.

As allies, I have tried to place A. Burkes out front to screen the remaining fleet via their AMD, plus covering CVs with an A. Burke as well.
However, AA has so far to make a single hit, as rolling doubles is just not that common an occurence. Additionally, it often turns out, that it is not the air units that make a big difference (I guess WWII PTO is long gone ), but the missile attacks, and in particular of course from the long distance CC Sovremmeny (I dont remember the name).

I have also tried to make some surprise attacks with subs, but so far they have fared poorly. Against a stack of enemy ships of which most can attack the subs in several phases, my subs do not survive for long. That they evade well, is moot if you want them to attack.

So, so far the allies quickly lose all their ships, ending up with land based air units and possibly a few infantry units.

What am I doing wrong, and what strategies have you guys come up with against the CC in the smaller scenarios (and are the larger scenarios any different)?

Cheers!
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ras

Yes, missiles are crucial, but you might not be employing FICC air as well as you could.

The FICC needs to keep the optimal distance away from dangerous CC assets. For example, US Carriers should stay at least four hexes away from the Sovremeny Class units. Use the DDGs to protect the CVs from enemy air strikes. Remember that aircraft can strike out to double their range, and that FICC air has better reach then CC air. The FICC needs to find (and maintain) that "sweet spot" just beyond the range of surface launched CC missiles, and beyond the normal range of CC fighters, but within range (or double range) of FICC air units.

Yes, subs are in jeopardy when they fire. But, their stealth enables them to fire at the time of their choosing. So stalk the enemy carriers and when they become entangled with enemy air and surface units your subs can join the fray from their chosen vantage point.

Thanks
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,

You are probably right, that I am not using my forces optimally.

But still I fail to see my big mistakes.
Of course, it makes sense to keep the CVs out of harms way, but then again, the planes themselves are not that strong alone, and have to fly through some flak and CAP if they want to hit something on the other side, as the CC have more AMD units and more CVs in these scenarios.

But yes, in cases where you do not need to keep ships defending certain hexes, as the FICC, it might be possible.

Cheers,
Ras

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.