Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just acquired this game via a trade and, after reading through the rules, I wondered how often placing facedown cards on the combat quests comes up? Obviously, it engenders serious suspicion, but if hands of White cards are running low and there's no time to head back to Camelot and spend another turn drawing 2, it seems like dropping a facedown '1' is worthwhile. Is that how it usually plays out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
We play every card face down. With few exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group, we rarely (if ever) place a black combat card face UP. We've accepted that its a fair trade to introduce a little "fog of battle" into those quests in exchange for more white cards at the disposal of the knights.

Of course, the traitor has always won when we play . . . so maybe ours is not the best group to establish precedents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to guess that this may vary amongst groups depending on play style.

Obviously if you are the one on the solo quest, then by all means put it face down and grab an extra white card. Also the final card can also always be played face down, because all the cards will be flipped and the quest resolved, so why not get a free white card in the process.

Otherwise, I think it's a judgement call for the player: Which is more valuable, an extra white card or sharing the value of the card with the group/knight on the solo quest. Obviously the wrong call will make people think "Traitor?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. The only time I ever seen one placed face down is because of a mistake or not realizing they get a white card as a result

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play black cards face down, usually with some sort of thinly-veiled comment on the relative strength of the card. Drawing the white card is too good to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Heckathorn
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group almost always plays them face down. The white card you get as a result is just too valuable, as it extends the time you can stay away from Camelot and it may even provide you a usable card for the quest you are on.

The only time I consider placing those cards face up is if someone I feel reasonably confident is not the traitor is on Lancelot's quest, the value of the card is very high. This gives that knight the option to evaluate their chances of winning the quest.

The "Black Knight" quest just doesn't have the significant downside for losing that quest to justify missing out on the white card. If your in a situation where losing the "Black Knight" quest is painful, you're likely going to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jackson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group we tend to play lower value cards face down and higher ones face up so that we get the advantage of drawing cards sometimes while still giving a good indication of the strength to the other players. This is open to abuse from a traitor playing a high value face down but it may be possible to identify them in that instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Sullivan
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greglios wrote:
In our group we tend to play lower value cards face down and higher ones face up so that we get the advantage of drawing cards sometimes while still giving a good indication of the strength to the other players.

This is our strategy as well. We have an understanding that the lowest value card for each quest goes face down automatically. We all know what it is, and we pick up the free white card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know if this is the best, but in general I'm a fan of playing the cards as follows if I am loyal:

Lancelot/Dragon:
1s 3s: Face Up
5s 7: Face Down

Black Knight:
1s 3s: Face Down
5s 7: Face Up

That, of course, is conditional on if someone is doing the quest & the card needs to be Merlin zapped to allow successful completion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group was disguisted to find: 3 1 3 and the facedown card to be a 7 on the Jousting quest. Player thought he had a decent shot since he put down 12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My friends and I play the exact opposite. If it is face down, that signals it's nothing to worry about. We only do face up if you have no Merlin cards and you want your team to know that the card must be stopped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:
My friends and I play the exact opposite. If it is face down, that signals it's nothing to worry about. We only do face up if you have no Merlin cards and you want your team to know that the card must be stopped.

But that is a violation of the Collaboration rule. The fact that you need that help is not "readily available" to the other players, so you cannot let them know that you need that specific help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
blondlostime wrote:

But that is a violation of the Collaboration rule. The fact that you need that help is not "readily available" to the other players, so you cannot let them know that you need that specific help.

The Collaboration rule does not prevent you from having 'guidelines' for when a player takes certain actions. Sort of like bidding conventions in Bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ejclason wrote:

The Collaboration rule does not prevent you from having 'guidelines' for when a player takes certain actions. Sort of like bidding conventions in Bridge.

Such guidelines cannot violate the rule: you cannot reveal anything not already "readily available" to the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
ejclason wrote:

Such guidelines cannot violate the rule: you cannot reveal anything not already "readily available" to the other players.

Okay, but what is "readily available" to the players in this situation? The player who is on the quest placed a high numbered black card face up and did not remove it on their turn. Why play it face up when they know what it was and it is the quest they are on when they could have placed it face down and received a free white card? Perhaps because they know they are currently losing the quest, can't remove the card themselves, and need help in doing so. And that's just from observation.

Alternately, it is perfectly acceptable to say "I may not be able to accomplish this quest without aid," as that does not go into the specifics of the knight's hand of cards. If you want to get poetic about it, say, "My fellow knights, I fear this opponent has me at a disadvantage." That seems perfectly within the allowed collaboration rules and despite that pretty blatantly is requesting help from the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your alternatives sound good to me. But the pre arranged meanings attached to certain actions violate the rule.

All in all the rule is very fuzzy. And IMO makes it awfully hard for the Traitor to "compete."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.