Subject: First game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself and 2 other experienced board gamers are ready to play TWI for the first time. Should we stick with the basic game or add in any expansions for our first play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic and I recomend Shattered Empire Objetive Cards and Strategy Cards. ( no new rules with this addon )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Varduk wrote:
Myself and 2 other experienced board gamers are ready to play TWI for the first time. Should we stick with the basic game or add in any expansions for our first play?

Shattered Empire Strategy Cards. No more complex, no extra rules (since the rules for the original Strategy Cards are taken out), just better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add nothing from the expansions at all, but if you must add something then add the new Strategy Cards.

Below is my standard first game advice:

- My first piece of advice would be - don't expect to finish. Rule of thumb game time = 1 hour + 1 hour per player + 1 hour per noob. But that's ok, your first game is to learn how everything works.
- Get everyone to read the rules before the game. (Just the base rules are enough.) Make sure everyone understands the basic principles of building ships and moving them. On the race sheets there is a 7-step guide called "The Tactical Action" - follow it LIKE GOSPEL for your first game as it answers 99% of movement based queries.
- The races you should use are Letnev, Sardakk Norr, Sol, L1z1x, Hacan, Mentak. They have the fewest rule-changing special abilities.
- Keep reminding everyone that the game is about Victory Points, not war.
- Bring lots of drinks and snacks to keep everyone going.
- Start as early as you can. 9am may seem like a pain, but you'll be grateful later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.