Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Whisper
France
Salon de Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dear all,

After a couple of years of totally normal usage of BGG, for now one week, I can no longer access the site from home ! This situation is totally beyond my understanding and I would be grateful of any help. Indeed, web is working fine for every other website and I can access BGG as usual if I connect to mobile network (3G or 4G).

From home, using wired or wifi access, I just got a blank page saying that my browser can't connect to the server.

Does anyone would have an idea of what is going on ? I tried to contact the webmaster and the community manager but I got no answer from now. I guess that this is a too isolated issue to be handle with priority, which is fair.

Many thanks for your help and advices.
J.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try clearing your cache?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What browser are you using, and what happens if you try and access BGG with another browser?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisper
France
Salon de Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all, many thanks for your feedback.

I should have precise that I already tested a couple of options. On my main computer (the first one with this issue), I was using Firefox. I tried then Private Navigation, cache and cookie cleaning, Chrome and Edge, ... always with the same result. I also rebooted my internet box (to renew my external IP...), same result.

Next, I tested my laptop from work and my wife's laptop (which has never been used to browse BGG). Results were the same.

Finally, on my iPad, it was the same until I switched off the WiFi. Using my cell phone connection, I can browse the site and answer to you.

On my main computer, I also tester TOR and succeed to display BGG but after a few minutes of browsing, the connection is lost again.

It is really like the server is specifically refusin the Connexxion from my place which is quite weird. Last information, all my computers are protected either with Avast of Kaspersky.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again for your time
Julien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, perhaps it's a problem with your DNS server. Are you able to ping BGG's IP address, 72.233.16.130? (Or simply go to http://72.233.16.130/ in your browser?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisper
France
Salon de Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks

It seems that you find something. Indeed, I ran a ping request on this IP and the answer I got is :

"Request timed out. (x4)
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (loss 100%)"

Now I find a hint, is there any solution to test ?

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to ping the IP, even if your DNS server doesn't recognize/blocks www.boardgamegeek.com. Since your ping failed, the fault must lie elsewhere.

You mentioned that you're running Avast or Kaspersky. Perhaps they are blocking certain IP numbers? Similarly, check your router's built-in firewall. (Perhaps BGG has been erronously flagged as a virus-ridden website.)

Alternatively, contact your web service provider and have them verify that BGG is not blocked on their end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisper
France
Salon de Provence
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dear Holger,

I will try to investigate in this direction. As this is the only website which I have issue with, I was wondering if the blockage might come directly from the BGG server, considering me (or at least my physical address, in France) as a threat ?

I don't know if this would be technically feasible.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.