Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » News

Subject: Dear Boss expansion announced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/16/dear-bo...

Within this expansion, you’ll find three modular decks to aid the policemen or Jack, alongside rules for tweaking the balance of the game until it’s perfect, no matter which side your group favors. Twelve beautifully sculpted plastic miniatures invite you to replace the Policemen, Jack, and Wretched pawns from the base game and a new Jack screen implements this expansion's variants. Finally, every inch of Dear Boss is overflowing with historical detail, giving you even more insight into the lives of the men and women who played out this tragedy in 1888.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Letters from Whitechapel. Any game that I love that has an expansion is usually an auto-buy for me. And yet, I will not be buying this expansion. It doesn't fix anything wrong with the game and doesn't seem to add anything I would value to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that I don't really see who the target audience of this expansion is. If you'd like to add random decks of cards and sculpted minatures to the otherwise deterministic and aesthetically simple game that is Letters from Whitechapel, FFG themselves produces Fury of Dracula, which is a fine game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too excited about the miniatures simply because it's going to add significant cost, and I really like the wooden pawns in the base game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
I have to agree that I don't really see who the target audience of this expansion is. If you'd like to add random decks of cards and sculpted minatures to the otherwise deterministic and aesthetically simple game that is Letters from Whitechapel, FFG themselves produces Fury of Dracula, which is a fine game.

I totally agree except for the fact that FoD is a fine game. IMO, it's a broken game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yisu Wang
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mb
Wooden pawns defo add classic feels and solemnness.
Resin miniatures defo add price. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
and I really like the wooden pawns in the base game...

100% agree with you. For some reason, the topic of Jack the Ripper is usually handled pretty lightly, a la Mr. Jack. LfW handles the subject like it should be: solemnly. Sure it's a game about a tragic event, but there are also games about the war of 1812. The game handles the subject matter respectfully, and one of the ways that it does so is with the wooden pawns. Whether that was intentional or not, I don't know, but I'm a fan of the end result. Changing the pawns to miniatures sends the exact opposite message: it's all fun and games, look at these cool minis. Definitely not a fan of the minis at all.

In any case, I'm a huge fan of LfW but will not be buying this expansion anyway for another reason: I think the game is perfect by itself. It's such a simple, streamlined game, and adding anything on top of it is unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotta agree with the other posters. Whitechapel is one of my all time favorite games but I don't see any reason to pick this up. I love the wooden pawns. They're just abstract enough to make the game really, really beautiful (IMO).

As for the decks of cards, the investigator abilities sound interesting, but make the game more like Specter Ops and FoD. I like Whitechapel for how different it is, so I wouldn't want an expansion that makes the game more like those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far it sounds like the expansion that nobody asked for, with 7/7 no-buys if I counted correctly! I'm undecided.

Anybody actually tried it yet? Wasn't it available in some places/editions/languages a while ago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try it if someone had a copy. I might then change my mind. But I won't buy it as-is. This is unusual for me because if I love a game I will auto-buy expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel is my favorite fame and I think that the game needs no expansion, it is perfect. I'm more interested in hearing about the new Whitehall Mystery game from same designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our group has been using painted 28mm metal West Wind Ripper miniatures pretty much from the start and could never go back to wooden pawns.

We use these too...

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Harris
United States
Silverdale
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually be interested in picking up the decks for a little variety if they weren't very expensive, but I have little hope for that in light of the miniatures which I'm not really interested in. :\

Edit: Looks like a $25 MSRP. Bit more than the variant decks are worth to me. Oh well, the base game is lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well let me break ranks then.

While I agree with the common theme in nearly all the posts... "this game is among my favorite games and does not need an expansion" I DO like the idea of the cards and the ability to tweak the game's balance depending on the group playing. Assuming the cards offer enough variety in options I don't mind paying a premium for the cards and mini's. To me it's an easy decision... plus I get mini's to boot.

I know a friend who bought mini's online and had a relative do the painting etc. Not cheap when you include shipping, materials, time to paint, etc.

At this point it's speculative since all we have is a press release but if the content is reasonable it is an easy decision to expand on one of my favorite games of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Massengale
United States
Bensenville
Illinois
flag msg tools
How 'bout them Cowboys?!
mbmbmbmbmb
rpisarzjr wrote:
if the content is reasonable it is an easy decision to expand on one of my favorite games of all time.

Then by all means, please post a review when/if you get it! I'd love to be proven wrong and have this game make an already great game even better. It's just the cynic in me predicting that it won't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wilkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally can't wait. I love this game, and adding modular variants to it sounds fun.

The miniatures I don't really care about. I prefer the aesthetics of the wooden pawns.

Between this and all the Mansions Of Madness goodies FFG will be getting a lot of my money this fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main issue is that the preview pictures show the expansions to be extremely amateurish. Miniatures are way out of proportions, the graphics design is ugly and the typos don't help much.

Also, this expansion was supposed to be released a year ago already

But hey, no one forces me to buy it outside my OCD of wanting to have it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
My main issue is that the preview pictures show the expansions to be extremely amateurish. Miniatures are way out of proportions, the graphics design is ugly and the typos don't help much.

Also, this expansion was supposed to be released a year ago already

But hey, no one forces me to buy it outside my OCD of wanting to have it all.

You can tell all that from the link on the first post here??

I think the packaging and miniatures look awesome. I don't see anything out of proportion.

My main reason for buying it without any hesitation? I love the game - it's in my top 5 easily. They make it, I'll be buying it G'ovnah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain the "Dear Boss" title?

I have no idea what that is in reference to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Can anyone explain the "Dear Boss" title?

I have no idea what that is in reference to.

It refers to one of Jack's letters to the police starting Dear Boss

Edit: actually received by the press

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Boss_letter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was leaning away from this, though the cards sound interesting, I didn't like the idea of the minis. I mentioned it to my wife and she said "Oh that sounds cool! I'd probably paint those myself". What?! Anything that helps get LFW to the table more often is a no brainer for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmb
hurry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmb
'on the boat' = we should have this in Jan or Feb.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/letters-from-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.