Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problems with DotR: Longer than Pandemic, but not more fun, Losing was random where you just draw 3 cards and boss happens to move all 3 times and so he went from 'he only moved once this whole game' to 'he got to capital city and now we lost'.
Things I liked about DotR: Love coops and fighting monsters that keep coming, enjoyed rolling a bunch of dice, love different powers and enemies are different.
Would I like this game? I ended up selling Defenders of the Realm mostly cause I never brought it to the table (also hated the board, it was very difficult to find the right place and there was no reason to know that 'evergreen mountains' was on the bottom left or middle right of the board'.

What say you commenters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the areas are numbered, somewhat in order, so that will help that point. The full-size cards that refer to them, also have the numbers.

I've only played a couple times (solo) but here are my initial comments.
The generals still move in a similar fashion to DOTR. In fact one of them doesn't even have a prescribed path, he hops around the board.
It's still very card-luck based - I have had games where one general didn't move till halfway through the game, then moved twice in a row.
The characters are all different, and enemies and bosses are different in more ways than the to-hit roll.

Monsters (generals and minions) keep coming, there's lots of dice to roll, you have 2 quest types (missions and the 'adventure' thing) instead of just one, there are more actions to choose from.
There are three game-start scenarios in the book, 2 new and cool ones in addition to the "four generals coming from all sides" one of DotR.
It's definitely longer than Pandemic (or brutally short with really bad luck).

It has more of what you like, kinda fixes one of the things you didn't (finding stuff on the board), but still has the other thing you didn't (random card-based enemy movement.)

Would your enjoyment of the additional stuff outweigh your dislike of the random general cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Król
msg tools
mb
It fixes the problem with the board with numbers(the numbers are on all cards that refrence a location) and most areas are easier to find since when you have to add raiders to white crater for example you can clearly see the white crater near last stand

The bosses and their raiders feel different, and you get even more different powers, since your character can mutate, and get like 3rd leg or laser eyes

The game can be long-ish, but you can always play the scenario that makes you start kinda in the middle of the game, for shorter play time.

Go get it now, it's an amazing game. It reminded me how great of a designer Richard is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong, by I think there are less "advance X leader to next space" cards. They have been replaced by "advance any one leader" cards, which allows the players to decide which of the 3 land-based leaders to advance. There are also some "advance one leader to Last Stand" cards, but those only trigger if a leader is adjacent to Last Stand, so most of the time they have no negative effect.

In about 10 plays, I've found less instances of a single leader rushing Last Stand. Also, there are plenty of Special and Artifact cards that prevent a leader from moving, or move a leader back. There are also barricades that can come into play, though they are more rare.

Be forewarned though: this game is even longer than DotR. I've yet to have a 3+ player game take less than 3 hours. Most of my DotR games clocked in at about 2.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.