Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » General

Subject: Authoritarian Iron Man and Imprison Unregistered Superheroes Fortify rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played with the new set last night against Authoritarian Iron Man with the scheme of Imprison Unregistered Superheroes. We managed to defeat Ironman on the last turn, but I wanted to make sure that we did the fortify effects correctly.

What we did was when a master strike came out, we put it on the space moving from left to right starting at the Bridge (as specified on the card). When we were able to hit ironman, we did not remove any of the master strikes (basically at the end of the game all 5 master strikes were on their respective city locations).

For the scheme, we put scheme twists 1,3,5,7,9 on the city spaces and the scheme twist never left the city space either. At the end of the game, all 5 spaces we occupied and had the potential to zap us for bystanders for any villian in the city.

Basically this set up a situation where every villain/henchman had +4 slashes and we couldn't attack Ironman until the city was clear. We got lucky in that the last 2 cards in the deck were scheme twists, or else we would have lost, but I want to make sure that we were correct in that we never remove any of the master strike/scheme twist fortifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
My reading of iron man and that scheme would say you made things wayyyy harder on yourself.

I believe the scheme says that you put the scheme itself on the next city space (meaning only 1 city space is being "patrolled"/fortified by the scheme at a time, meaning only 1 villain will get +1). The same goes for Iron Man - the Mastermind card itself goes patrolling/fortifying, giving whatever space he's in +3. So you may have 1 space with +4, or one with +3 and another with +1. When Iron Man is defeated, he stays where he is but you get a tactic (as opposed to King Hyperion, whose tactics say "return the mastermind card to the pile and blah blah blah).

I think that's how it's intended. Still very hard though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctulis59 wrote:
My reading of iron man and that scheme would say you made things wayyyy harder on yourself.

I believe the scheme says that you put the scheme itself on the next city space (meaning only 1 city space is being "patrolled"/fortified by the scheme at a time, meaning only 1 villain will get +1). The same goes for Iron Man - the Mastermind card itself goes patrolling/fortifying, giving whatever space he's in +3. So you may have 1 space with +4, or one with +3 and another with +1. When Iron Man is defeated, he stays where he is but you get a tactic (as opposed to King Hyperion, whose tactics say "return the mastermind card to the pile and blah blah blah).

I think the above is correct. You're not the only one confused though, there's been a few discussions of this mastermind and this scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side-note:

The rule-book says that if a Villain would fortify a place and that place is already fortified by a Villain then do nothing.

Since this refers only to a 'Villain' I'm reading that it's Ok for a Mastermind and a Scheme to Fortify the same location, eg as in this scheme.

What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't have the rule book handy to verify, but your logic is sound if that's the wording.

As for the OP, we ended up doing exactly the same thing and made it far harder than it needed to be. Only after the fact did we realize it was Iron Man himself that goes to a place, and one man can only fortify one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the wording from the rulebook:

Quote:
If a card would fortify a place, don’t do anything if there’s already a Villain fortifying that place.

So neither Iron Man nor the Scheme can fortify a city space if it has already been fortified by a Villain (I'm not sure that any Villains do fortify city spaces though?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
ctulis59 wrote:

Correct. Only The Scheme and the Iron Man Mastermind card move across the city. They only effect the space they are currently in.

dontfeedthegreen wrote:
As a side-note:

The rule-book says that if a Villain would fortify a place and that place is already fortified by a Villain then do nothing.

Since this refers only to a 'Villain' I'm reading that it's Ok for a Mastermind and a Scheme to Fortify the same location, eg as in this scheme.

What do others think?

Schemes and Masterminds are not Villains. The one Villain per Fortify is due to having multiple copies of the same Villain in the set. If two Radioactive Men escape players would not gain 3 wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks for clarifications Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Dill
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. Apparently we were playing on hardcore mode (I didn't want to use the obvious pun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
As a side-note:

What do others think?

i agree that the two (scheme and mastermind) can fortify the same space, since masterminds aren't "villains" and neither is the scheme. i'd go further to say that the two could occupy the same space and a hypothetical villain could also fortify that space.

EDIT: did not see mark replied haha. THANKS MARK!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tulis
msg tools
mb
Mark UD OP wrote:
ctulis59 wrote:

Correct. Only The Scheme and the Iron Man Mastermind card move across the city. They only effect the space they are currently in.

dontfeedthegreen wrote:
As a side-note:

What do others think?

Schemes and Masterminds are not Villains. The one Villain per Fortify is due to having multiple copies of the same Villain in the set. If two Radioactive Men escape players would not gain 3 wounds.

Man, if you guys bring back Fortify as a keyword (and I really hope you do), maybe the ruling could change to "Any number of Villains may fortify a location, provided they do not share a name. When resolving fortify effects, resolve them in the order they fortified that location."

The latter clause for if Luke Cage and Radiation Man were fortifying the Wound stack - you'd expect Luke Cage would block Radiation Man's effect, since he was already fortifying the stack, whereas if Radiation Man was fortifying first, Luke Cage "arrived" too late to prevent the damage. So Luke Cage's "prevent Wounds" would nullify Radiation Man's "gain an extra Wound" in the former scenario (at least until the Luke Cage owner's next turn, when Luke Cage is discarded - also a great mechanic I hope to see more of - maybe with Ant-Man, like an "Infiltrate" type idea that someone's custom Ant-Man has?). Such a clarification would allow for more fortifying interactions and the potential for even more interesting mechanics and interactions. Could go really deep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.