2 Posts

Kropki» Forums » Rules

Subject: Kropki v Go rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Maupome
Canada
flag msg tools
So I came across this game while searching for games similar to Go. The most important differences with Go I have noticed here http://www.dashstofsk.net/kropki.html are the "No Edge" rule and the rule that requires the capture of at least one enemy dot to form territory. You'll notice that these rules are not present on the Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_(game)).

My questions are : Are the rules not somewhat standard? Why the "No Edge" and Capture rules? In Go, one can use the edges to form territory, and one need not capture an enemy stone to form territory. Is there a particular reason why one can't do this in Kropki?

The only reason i could think of for these rules is that the notion of territory is somewhat vague, and therein lies the subtlety of the game. But even then, while actual territory is easier to form in Kropki, we could still speak of "vague" territory, i.e. territory that doesn't formally belong to one player but is likely to go to her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that Kropki is mostly a school game as it is easily playable with standard school components.

As many such games there are flavors and differences in details and edge cases.

This may explain the differences you noticed. And also it might make it hard (if possible at all) to answer your questions.

As it comes to me I used to play with the rule that board edge does not close area. So if you had a solid wall up to the edge it was not possible to capture it. I never asked myself why is it so. But then again for me the time of Kropki and the Go are largely disjointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.