Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: Empire sheet - what do you think? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Since I loved CW I've backed this game without doubt.
But, I did find one thing that bothers me (I think more than it should).
Is it me or the empire sheet is really badly designed?
Bad fonts (unreadable), weird positioning of text.
Units sheets have weird uneven lines that separate the units.
Heroes quest (circle thingy) just looks weird, why not make it aligned and just color based? or more triangle shaped?
The background looks cheap.
I understand that they try to make it look cool, but for me it looks more like a mess.
What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quinn hunsaker
msg tools
I like it and I don't mind what they did to the hero quests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two things to share with you.

1) You can blame the art director.

2) None of this is TECHNICALLY final art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree they really need to be redone, but they did post a comment on the KS page that they acknowledged issues with the font, text color, ect. and those were not final drafts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
While some things will change, the general improvements over the CW sheets will probably remain, such as:

A) arranging the Gifts (spellbooks) around a giant Rune of that empire (and in pairs, which has a gameplay purpose)

B) better use of total space - CW always felt crammed

C) more colorful and bright (given this is Glorantha, and not Cthulhu)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is if there are custom Ziggurat (such as the Stretch goal up for Darkness now) will the silhouette on the Empire Sheet also be changed to match?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
existoid wrote:
While some things will change, the general improvements over the CW sheets will probably remain, such as:

A) arranging the Gifts (spellbooks) around a giant Rune of that empire (and in pairs, which has a gameplay purpose)

B) better use of total space - CW always felt crammed

C) more colorful and bright (given this is Glorantha, and not Cthulhu)

Awesome, that's why I backed without a doubt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
My question is if there are custom Ziggurat (such as the Stretch goal up for Darkness now) will the silhouette on the Empire Sheet also be changed to match?

hahaha, you are the first person to even think of this probably.

I don't imagine that buildings will be silhouettes, sicnce buildings are also die cut tokens with an image. So, I've always assumed the Empire sheet would have a small image of that same image on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Oh, and one more thing if I'm already that negative dude, the Darkness Trolls looks like huge apes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogron272 wrote:
Oh, and one more thing if I'm already that negative dude, the Darkness Trolls looks like huge apes...

Our art director has thought about adjusting their pose. Glroantha trolls have always had long snouts, but this shape is strange to me too. They are 3D modeled, so we could adjust their pose, and may do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
wtrollkin2000 wrote:

hahaha, you are the first person to even think of this probably.

I don't imagine that buildings will be silhouettes, sicnce buildings are also die cut tokens with an image. So, I've always assumed the Empire sheet would have a small image of that same image on them.

The final version of the Empire Sheets will definitely reflect any changes/upgrades that get made during the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
Mogron272 wrote:

Our art director has thought about adjusting their pose. Glroantha trolls have always had long snouts, but this shape is strange to me too. They are 3D modeled, so we could adjust their pose, and may do so.

Yeah, this was a first-pass attempt at the Troll model and it diverged a lot from my concept. It will get revised very quickly and will be more in line with other Troll depictions. I intended them to fit alongside the existing Troll sculpts from Fenris Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trolls on Kygor Litor's base have snouts. Just keep them consistent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueSwompy wrote:
existoid wrote:
Mogron272 wrote:

Yeah, this was a first-pass attempt at the Troll model and it diverged a lot from my concept. It will get revised very quickly and will be more in line with other Troll depictions. I intended them to fit alongside the existing Troll sculpts from Fenris Games.

It's a combination of the overly short legs and the knuckle-walking pose. Gloranthan trolls (i.e., uz) in all the illustrations I've seen stand upright and while big, have humanlike arm-to-leg proportions.

Btw, will we see more Gloranthan terminology used? That is: Trolls -> Uz, Elves -> Aldryami, Dwarves -> Mostali, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I'm happy to hear that you will fix the trolls. My complaint about them looking like apes got hurried in another thread. I suggested longer legs, longer snouts and more pronounced tusks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:

This is cool! I hoped that might be the case when it looked like the fragments on the Sky empire board formed the Fire/Sky rune in the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sol Kanar
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the empire sheet pretty cool...but:

- No indication for the fragment (1 fragment can have two Gifts)
- The police should be changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the layout, but some of the stuff is hard to read

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mgabbert wrote:
It's a combination of the overly short legs and the knuckle-walking pose. Gloranthan trolls (i.e., uz) in all the illustrations I've seen stand upright and while big, have humanlike arm-to-leg proportions.

Btw, will we see more Gloranthan terminology used? That is: Trolls -> Uz, Elves -> Aldryami, Dwarves -> Mostali, etc.?

Actually, Gloranthan trolls/Uz have always had long arms (though maybe not this long) all the away back to Trollpak. They are also supposed to be more hunched than normally depicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dogboy_hack wrote:
mgabbert wrote:

Actually, Gloranthan trolls/Uz have always had long arms (though maybe not this long) all the away back to Trollpak. They are also supposed to be more hunched than normally depicted.

Maybe longish arms compared to average human proportions, but not stubby legs. It's the proportion and posture that's off in the current figure. And the only ones I recall seeing described as hunched are the trollkin (enlo) who don't exist during the Gods War.

Anyway, Fenris Games miniatures were mentioned above as being a reference. So these are pretty cool, although I think the boardgame wants figures in more active and dynamic poses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Fleider
United States
Dallas
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgabbert wrote:
dogboy_hack wrote:
mgabbert wrote:

Maybe longish arms compared to average human proportions, but not stubby legs. It's the proportion and posture that's off in the current figure. And the only ones I recall seeing described as hunched are the trollkin (enlo) who don't exist during the Gods War.

Anyway, Fenris Games miniatures were mentioned above as being a reference. So these are pretty cool, although I think the boardgame wants figures in more active and dynamic poses.

The intention behind the pose is that they are charging and striking downwards on a human-sized target. The pose is certainly inspired by the way apes charge but I don't want the final piece to read like an ape in armor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mgabbert wrote:
dogboy_hack wrote:
mgabbert wrote:

Ooh, those are nice miniatures, but they are far too upright IMO. I remember Sandy saying about the troll profiles, that most trolls don't stand up straight, and are usually more hunched, but i agree with your point: they are not so short legged as that .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as we're discussing the game's physical features, I had a question about the board(s) that got lost in the campaign comment scroll:
Quote:
I understand that the core game board is two pieces, each with a 3-player side and a 5-player side (you use one of each for a 4-player game), but what are the dimensions of the complete board in play? And assuming we reach the 6/8-player expansion board, is that the same size or bigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...reminds me of "Planet of the Pigs"... (lol)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shone
Australia
Glenroy
Victoria
flag msg tools
Please please please, make sure that whomever is laying out the sheets (and really any interactive, playable graphic element) considers and has strong experience in usability, and user experience(as well as standard layout and print design).

I'm seeing more and more games produced where the actual usability of game components seems to come as an after thought, producing things like muddled boards, text that's hard to read, iconography that doesn't match game experience, layouts that don't consider wayfinding in context of the game's phases and states.

Even though the current Empire sheet is temporary, there's some glaringly obvious issues with it that somebody could have picked up on.

For example the setup and phases text is very hard to read (being white text) over the top of a vivid imagery (of the sun god). Any text over imagery needs to be well considered as it introduces distraction.

The unique ability text is cramped and it absolutely needs more white space and line space.

The Heroquests again are a major element of the board and play, so these need to be highly readable both by the player, but also other players sitting across the table. Again having imagery in the background of the text distracts and reduces readability, near and far.

Just my 2c as someone wanting the best outcome and experience for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.