Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During our afternoon play session we decided to end the session with a game of Settler's. It was 2:45pm and Alan wanted to be done around 3:30pm. There were 3 of us (Leslie, Alan & myself) and we were all experienced players. I suggested we use the "tournament" set-up used on Sea3D where your 2nd placement is a city instead of a settlement to speed up the game, but Leslie and Alan wanted to play "by the rules". Of course, Leslie then asked if we were going to have no robber for 1 or 2 rounds, which I replied since we are playing by the rules, the robber is live in the 1st round. We got the game set-up and started to play at 2:50pm.

Leslie rolled highest to go 1st and placed on a 5/9/10 spot while Alan went 2nd and I 3rd. We started rolling the dice and after about 4 turns around I mentioned that no 8s had been rolled yet & I owned both of them! The other amazing thing is that no 7s had been rolled yet, but lots of 9s which gave Alan an early lead when he was able to get both his intitial settlements upgraded to cities. With the cities being built real early in the game we quickly got to 6/7 points each having cities and settlements, but no one bought a development card yet and no one took longest road even though Leslie was at 4 roads.
A couple of good rolls got me 12 cards in my hand while I was at 6 points. I rolled the dice, just knowing I would roll a 7, but for what seemed like the 1st time I can remember I didn't roll a 7 on myself with a good hand :-) I quickly built a city, settlement and road to score 4 points and win the game by getting longest road.

The game ended with me winning at 10, Alan at 7 and Leslie at 6. However, what was amazing is that no one bought a development card the whole game and the game only lasted till 3:15pm - only 25 minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't so much about focusing on probable numbers as it is diversifying the numbers you have. If you focus on 6's, for instance, and don't have an eight, you'll either have a ton of cards in your hand - and thus risk discarding more often - or have none.

The way I see settlers with my group - we all know how to play and what we should do, so now the only real fun aspect come from the initial settlement placement, then watching how it goes from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls