Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been several reviews written about Rokoko, even one as a two player game, but what if you're playing solo?

Solo Rokoko is quite good- I play the Master Lewis variation thoughtfully submitted by
Kevin Haar
United States
St.Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The beautifully illustrated board is two sided- for a solo game, use the 2-3 player side.

Set up the board as per the insturctions for a two player game- Queen's favour card, the 28 employee cards in a graduated deck- four on the board for the first round, fill the warehouse with silk resource tiles (48 tiles) and the workshop with dress/coat tiles (42 tiles). You will also need a D4, a D6 and a D10 (or D20 and halve the roll.)

You get your player board, five employee cards of a single colour, 16 markers of the same colour, 15 lira, a lace marker and a yarn marker.

Master Lewis gets a player board, three cards of a single colour (or four if you want a more challenging game) and a set of markers in the same colour. He also gets the first player marker and, while you can take the Queen's favour, he always goes first.

Since I always run out of player markers, I usually go ahead and designate two colours- I'll play blue and green and Master Lewis plays red and purple.

Master Lewis goes first and you roll to see which action he takes and possibly roll again or roll different dice to see exactly what he does. I have to say that this can be very frustrating so have an imaginary person grab the tiles you wanted or the decoration spot that you had your eye on!

Then it's your turn. The cards are a little different in that you get to pick which three you are going to play. The other two go on your player board in your reserve deck. It matters a lot which ones you choose as there are some things only a Master can do and some things that only a Master or a Journeyman can do. You have two Masters and two Apprentices in your starting five cards and I find that it's a good idea to use a Master, the Journeyman and an Apprentice for the first three- at least at first.

Once you've played your cards plus any you hired and Master Lewis has played all his cards, remove any unhired employees (they went to work for the king), any unmade zero cost dresses, move the dress tiles down and refill the workshop, the warehouse and the hiring fair. Also, while Master Lewis gets no money (he doesn't need any), you get 5 lira plus any money you get from the fountain decorations.

Playing solo is a nice way to explore the different strategies- would you like to make lots of dresses for the king's hall (top level) and fund fireworks so that you get the multipiers? Or would you rather fund a statue and concentrate on making as many sets (One each of blue, green, yellow and red) as you can? Should you go for a majority in a hall or go for the all halls bonus? Can you do both? How can you do both?

There is enough variation in when tiles come up and when employees come up- as well as how nasty Master Lewis is being today- that it's an ever changing puzzle.

Since games take me about two hours to play, I like being able to play whenever I have a spare two hours instead of waiting until I can find someone to play with- sonething that hasn't happened yet.

So, should you get this game even if you have no one to play it with? Oh yes, I definitely recommend it! Even if you have it and have played with others before, try a solo game and see what strategies you can find that you might have been missing before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Koller
Australia
Cherrybrook
NSW
flag msg tools
Great Underground Empire
badge
Explorer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I wasn't aware of this solo variant. Sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rustylantern wrote:
Thanks for the review. I wasn't aware of this solo variant. Sounds interesting.

It's quite a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it today, fantastic solo mode. Lost 91-84.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spagetti69 wrote:
Played it today, fantastic solo mode. Lost 91-84.

I usually can only give Master Lewis 3 cards- he can be a right b*st*rd!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.