Subject: 1st edition genestealer fit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Oerlemans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

A while ago I managed to get my hands on the contents of a 1st ed Space Hulk set, with everything still on the sprue (just no box and all rules in German...)
I've just started assembling the genestealers and found that the fit of the arms is rather, erm, excessively tight. The pegs seem a fraction too large for the holes in the body.
(when jammed in with as much force as I dare, they still stick out 2 or 3 mm, and they pop back out as soon as I stop applying pressure)

Is this a common problem, and if so, what are your favorite workarounds?
Maybe I'm just spoilt by the quality of the current GW plastics....soblue

Bye, Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send them to me, I'll check 'em out... ninja

Sorry, I can't help really. I guess you'll have to sand the pegs a bit. I just wish I'd have more genestealers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Xacto or plain old razor will take care of the problem. Just carve small slices off the pegs until they fit.
I would also recommend using plastic weld (found at your local hobby store) on a somewhat tight fit. It melts the plastic together making a very strong bond. If they are too loose there is not enough stuff to weld making your bond weaker.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a common problem, solved (as already described) by shaving off enough of the peg with an x-acto to allow a snug fit. Fortunately, the plastic is imminently carveable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oerlemans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
I expected the old file, fit, rinse and repeat would be the way to go.
I guess I was just hoping someone found some bizarre method to do it quicker and easiers.
Then again, as I'm building the hulk myself, what's a little extra effort on it's inhabitants?

Bye, Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Becker
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modhail wrote:
I guess I was just hoping someone found some bizarre method to do it quicker and easiers.

Hi Erik,

I have an easier way to build the Genestealer (I'm not sure if Nazhuret is meaning the same).
Important: I use Revell 39601 Contacta Liquid (http://www.revell.de/de/produkte/modellbau/zubehor/modellbau...)
This glue melts the plastic and it will never break.

For using for the Genestealer I put the glue on the plastic and then I wait about 20 seconds. In this time the plastic with the glue will get softly. Then I press both parts together.

As you can see here: http://spacehulk.beckerf.de/html/genestealer.html
it worked for me perfectly. I didn't cut anything from these 75 stealers.

Regards
Frank

Spacehulk-Tournament: http://s7.beckerf.de
3D-Hulk: http://spacehulk.beckerf.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oerlemans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fbstr wrote:

For using for the Genestealer I put the glue on the plastic and then I wait about 20 seconds. In this time the plastic with the glue will get softly. Then I press both parts together.

Thanks, Frank!

Do you do this before or after painting?
As I tend to do final assembly only after painting, I'm wondering if I would be at the risk of ruining my paintjob. Usually I have no problems with the glue (didn't have a problem with the 2nd ed and Battle for Macragge genestealers), but I'm kinda worried by the possibility of glue and half-dissolved plastic squirting out due to the excessively tight fit of the 1st edition ones.

Oh, and I belief I already told you on another forum:

Your Space Hulk is awesome! Truly inspirational.

Bye, Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Becker
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modhail wrote:
Do you do this before or after painting?

Before painting. You can press easily the melted arm into the body and this will damage your painting. I recommend to assemble it before painting.

Modhail wrote:

Oh, and I belief I already told you on another forum:
Your Space Hulk is awesome! Truly inspirational.
Bye, Erik

Thanks, I have still to cast some tiles to have 3 sets ready for the tournament end of June in Germany. We will play the 3 "Duty & Honor" missions plus a 4th mission. 2 sets will be painted (for my wife and me) and 1 unpainted set will be sold. At the moment we have about 10 SpaceHulk gamers attending the S7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Oerlemans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before painting it is, then.

Hmmmm, shame my German is abysmal and june is booked full to the point of bursting in my agenda. I'd have loved to see the S7 and your Hulk in the flesh!

Oh, I just realised I haven't shown what I'm working on...blush
I've posted about it on a few forums, but most are in Dutch.
Anyway, the pics I've made are all collected here: http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Modhail/WIP/Space%20H...
Still a lot to do though...

Bye, Erik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.