Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone used any of those wire closet shelves (that are pretty much standard in new houses in the US) for game storage? We are moving into a new place and I had a shelf break after I put a couple of games on it. I think it is an error in installation since the others are holding a decent amount of games, but I don't know what the rated capacity of these shelves are, and I'm not sure if I should keep loading them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO... the idea of if the shelf is going to give out is a matter of the anchor to the wall not the shelf itself. If you wanted to be safe you could reinforce or replace the current anchor system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
You will have to reinforce them if you plan on putting much weight on them. make sure you anchor them into the studs, or it won't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sheaffer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never used the cheap shelves but I do have the Container Store's Elfa wire shelves and they will hold lots of weight as that is what I have my board games stacked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
Four more years! #Cespedes #LGM
mbmbmbmbmb
msheaf1 wrote:
I have never used the cheap shelves but I do have the Container Store's Elfa wire shelves and they will hold lots of weight as that is what I have my board games stacked on.

Just thought I'd second the Elfa option. We have had it in closets throughout our house for more than ten years. It is all but bombproof, as far as I can tell. Elfa probably costs a bit more than big box store wire shelving options, but it is a very well thought out, easy to install, solid product. I wouldn't think twice about doing pull-ups on a fully loaded Elfa shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related question, is there any risk of box damage from the wire shelves? I've been worried about the wire shelves we have making wire marks on some of my boxes, so I figure I'll have to put some cardboard down as a protector or something. Is this the most common solution, or a waste of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I have put some heavy stuff on the shelves in my closest without any issue and currently have some heavy stuff that has been sitting on them for well over a year without any issues.

I think it all comes down to how well the shelves were installed. If they aren't anchored to studs, they won't hold much weight and too much weight will likely damage/weaken the drywall over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
msheaf1 wrote:

Just thought I'd second the Elfa option. We have had it in closets throughout our house for more than ten years. It is all but bombproof, as far as I can tell. Elfa probably costs a bit more than big box store wire shelving options, but it is a very well thought out, easy to install, solid product. I wouldn't think twice about doing pull-ups on a fully loaded Elfa shelf.

Another Elfa Shelf user here. No problems with three rows of shelves, with big boxes. They are anchored to the top plate of the wall framing. They give you some pretty stout mounting hardware. I never worry about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
jeffreyac wrote:
On a related question, is there any risk of box damage from the wire shelves? I've been worried about the wire shelves we have making wire marks on some of my boxes, so I figure I'll have to put some cardboard down as a protector or something. Is this the most common solution, or a waste of time?

It depends on how much weight is pressing down on the box sitting on the shelf itself. You may need something firmer than cardboard (or multiple pieces of cardboard) to prevent the wire marks on the boxes since it will likely flatten over time and eventually be useless.

I use plastic storage boxes to prevent the wire from damaging my stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

I was worried about the ridges too, so I got 50 feet of Plast-O-Mat Ribbed Shelf Liner (from Amazon) to give it a nice smooth surface. (It is ribbed in the longitudinal direction but only on one side.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl paulsen

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
I've got wire shelves. I use them for game shelves and for closets hanging more weight on them than games ever could provide.

The shelves themselves are great, but often times the support mechanisms are sub-par

The plastic expanding pegs that go at the bottom of support arms (piece of bent metal with a hole at one end and a hook for the shelf at the other) and are meant to be put strait into raw drywall are a joke and are built to fail. Using a screw into a stud will make the support arms stronger, but I prefer to dispense with the support arms and buy metal triangular shelf brakets.

Instead of these support arms

I use a bracket like these
[img]http://www.menards.com/main/items/media/DECKO001/ProductMedi...[img]
You will have to mix and match a bit to find shelves and supports that work well together, but the result will be a much stronger shelving system. I screw the supports right into studs and for the rare chance that I can't get a stud I use a metal drywall anchor like these.
[img]https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/drywall-metal-screw-anchor-2...[img]
For attaching the wire racks to the brackets I just use zipties.

I've not had any problems with the wire shelves, but if you're worried about that you can just line the shelf with some masonite hardboard or buy wood shelves instead.

I've had a few "stock" closet organizers collapse over the years, but after replacing the cheap supports and anchors with upgraded brackets and anchors I've not had any problems at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.