Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M.L. Russell
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Hollandspiele (hollandspiele.com) is a new company dedicated to the publication of historically-based wargames in handsome and affordable boxed editions. You're probably asking, "Okay, so what makes you any different than any other wargames company popping up these days?" And, sure, that's a fair question, and it's one we've thought about for a long time.

The answer is a bit... complicated. Because it's not like we went into this thinking up a sexy "hook" or gimmick that we can use to stand out for the sake of standing out. We didn't spend a whole lot of time trying to gin up a "brand identity", or identifying some kind of under-served niche in the market that we could fill. It's more that we like games on all sorts of topics, and we just want to publish them ourselves. More than that, we want to publish them our way. We've thought a lot about what our way is, how we would approach this differently or that differently, but it's hard to sum that up in a tidy collection of words.

"We", in this case, are Mary Holland-Russell, and her husband, Tom Russell. Mary ran day-to-day operations of Tiny Battle Publishing from its inception until January of 2016, and was directly responsible for the publication of over fifteen folio-style games, working both with established designers like Brian Train, Hermann Luttmann, and John Gorkowski, as well as relative newcomers. She worked closely with the company's owner, Mark H. Walker, and drew on Mark's years of experience in the industry. Mary learned a lot from working at Tiny Battle, both in terms of things we'd like to emulate, and in terms of things we'd like to do very differently.

As for Tom: he's a game designer who has had wargames published at Lock N Load Publishing, Flying Pig Games, Tiny Battle, and White Dog. Until recently he edited the quarterly print wargaming magazine "Yaah!", published by Mark Walker. Tom's probably best known however for three well-regarded train-and-stock games that were released as part of the famous Winsome Essen Sets (Northern Pacific, Irish Gauge, and Trans-Siberian Railroad). Wargame-wise, he's typically drawn to semi-obscure and esoteric topics. While the market exists for these games, it's naturally smaller than the market for games on the Eastern Front or Waterloo.

The way we look at it, that's a feature, not a bug: no one should publish a game on Jenkins' Ear expecting it to sell like hotcakes. That doesn't mean, however, that a game on Jenkins' Ear is unpublishable. A game doesn't need to be a best-seller to be worthwhile; it just needs to sell well enough to pay for itself, and to hopefully turn some kind of profit. That's probably not the best way to run a business, even a business catering to a niche hobby like ours, but it's our way. We want to publish games on all sorts of topics, including the weird little corners of history that too often get overlooked and under-gamed. And, sure, games on the Eastern Front and Waterloo as well, if there's a great designer with something new and interesting left to say about it.

"Great designer" is key. We're making a concerted effort to reach out to, and work with, great game designers with innovative, solid, balanced, quirky, thematic designs on the topics that they care about. Just as a boutique home media label like the Criterion Collection will put an emphasis on a film's director, we want our focus to be on the designers and their vision. We also want to treat the designers as equitably as possible. All designers retain all rights to their design. We only license the rights to publish the game for a short period of time. We do this because we respect designers and support their right to own and benefit from their intellectual property.

The first such designer to bite the bullet, so to speak, is Brian Train. This prolific Canadian wunderkind is one of our favorite designers, with an eclectic body of work stretching back across two decades. He's probably best known for a number of thoughtful, innovative designs on asymmetrical warfare. Volko Ruhnke cited Mr. Train's designs as a major source of inspiration that eventually led to the creation of Ruhnke's best-selling COIN series. Mr. Train has himself designed, or co-designed, such COIN titles as A Distant Plain and Colonial Twilight.

The first of Mr. Train's games to be published by Hollandspiele is a second edition of The Scheldt Campaign. We haven't altered this solid and compelling design. Instead, we've focused on addressing the errata from the first edition, and on giving the game a facelift. The game's new map comes courtesy of the insanely talented Ilya Kudriashov. Mary gave Ilya his first gig working for an American publisher. His gorgeous, evocative work for such Tiny Battle releases as Gaines's Mill and Dorking 1875 has led him to getting work with Victory Point, GMT, and High Flying Dice Games. We're honored to be working with him again on Hollandspiele's very first game.

We're also honored to partner with Blue Panther to handle the physical production of the Hollandspiele line, and to fulfill our customer's orders. When we started to look seriously at getting into publishing, we spent a lot of time looking at our production model and our options. We quickly settled on Print On-Demand as the best way to reduce our overhead. This means each individual copy costs more than it would if, say, we had ordered a thousand printed at a time, but it also means that we wouldn't risk our company (or our house) if a game didn't sell as well as we hoped. Which in turn also frees us up to pursue the topics that strike our fancy, instead of restricting our focus on a sure thing. We chose Blue Panther for a number of reasons, not least of which are its beautiful, thick, laser-cut counters. It certainly would have been considerably less expensive to go with thinner, die-cut counters, but we feel that having something chunky and tactile makes for a much more engaging experience.

For us, it's worth the extra money. Not that you're likely to see it on your end, though. If there's one thing that we've noticed, it's that sometimes wargames cost too darn much. This is especially true for smaller publishers. We understand the economics behind it, of course. It's a niche business, and it's one that traditionally has catered to well-educated people with disposable income. (To a lesser degree, this is true of board gaming in general.) And businesses have to stay in business, after all.

But we ourselves being well-educated people without a whole lot of disposable income, it's hard for us to justify plopping down sixty, eighty, or a hundred bucks MSRP. And, in a way, I think the expense of wargames is part of the reason why more obscure topics have such a hard time of it, and why certain popular topics dominate the market. Say you're hard-up for cash, and that you've scraped together eighty bucks to buy a wargame, your first in three or four months, with your next probably another three or four months away. Are you going to spend that eighty bucks on a game about Gettysburg, a sure thing, or are you going to spend that eighty bucks on a game about Hatcher's Run, which you may not have even heard of? Tom's the sort who would probably want that game on Hatcher's Run (and, stealth-plug, there's one we're publishing that's coming down the pipeline), but he's still felt that clarion call of D-Day, Gettysburg, and Waterloo when cash was tight.

So, it's important to us that we keep our prices as low as possible. The Scheldt Campaign, for example, will have a very reasonable MSRP of $45-- though right now we're selling it at $40. Smaller games, like The Grunwald Swords, will sell for $30. This means our profit margin is significantly less than that of other publishers, and below what is usually recommended. This, like so many other things, probably doesn't make great business sense.

But here's the thing: it doesn't matter if we don't make a whole lot of money. That'd be really nice, sure! We certainly want to make money. But that's not the reason why we're doing this. We're publishing the games we want to publish, even if they might not sell as well as another topic; we want to treat designers the way we'd like to be treated ourselves; we want to publish games with components and art that would engage us; we want to put them out at the price we ourselves would want to pay for it.

On top of all that, we want to communicate clearly and openly. We're not afraid to pull back the curtain and show you how the sausage is made, or to explain why we do things the way we do. When there are delays, we're going to let you know about it as soon as we know. We're also not going to promise the moon, or that games are going to ship out the day you order them; games take time to produce, especially when they're POD. But we'll be sure to let you know when we expect your order to be shipping, as well as the day it actually ships.

Speaking of shipping: international customers are probably wondering how many arms and/or legs it's going to cost them. And, we'll be frank: international shipping from the US of A is crazy-expensive. While we don't mind having a smaller profit margin, trying to absorb some of these costs ourselves would make each sale a net loss. So, right now, we're doing three things:

1Thing one, international customers, just like those in the US, can order physical copies of our games via our website, paying the shipping and handling.
2Thing two, international customers, just like those in the US, will have the option to download digital, print-and-play versions of our titles, hosted exclusively by Wargame Vault.
3Thing three, we are actively trying to find distribution partners across the globe who will carry and sell our games to customers in their geographic regions.

That, in a nutshell, is who we are, what we're doing, and how we're doing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool - good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good luck with the new company.

I am impressed with what I have read so far.

I even checked out the first game, and I will likely be placing my order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your order Jeffrey!

- the Prolific Canadian Wunderkind

(who is really looking forward to that opium wars game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, more publishers = more games

one question:
why Holland(dutch)spiele(German) to me as a native Dutchman it sounds strange, it's your right to sound strange of course. (although I realise Holland is the same in Dutch) are you by chance of Pennsylvanian Dutch (eg German) descent?

it's a bit as if I were to start a company called armourcolor with the British and American spelling mixed.

(let me be clear it's not critisism but interest in the why and how of a chosen name, which is often a small but important story to the founders)

for distribution you could approach Hexasim in France and UdoGrebeGames in Germany to have a wider availability here in Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, good luck to you! You'll have one customer here, I've been wanting to pick up The Scheldt Campaign for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats guys!

ltmurnau wrote:

blush It's definitely the least wargame-y of the offerings so far--then again, as a pure conflict sim, the opium wars wouldn't be that interesting of a subject. But, the wars get really interesting through an economic and political lens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
Cool, more publishers = more games

one question:
why Holland(dutch)spiele(German) to me as a native Dutchman it sounds strange, it's your right to sound strange of course. (although I realise Holland is the same in Dutch) are you by chance of Pennsylvanian Dutch (eg German) descent?

No, neither of us are Pennsylvanian Dutch. :-) I'm a little bit of everything from Europe and the UK, and as part of that mix I'm actually slightly of Dutch descent-- my great-grandparents were van der Voorts-- but the name actually has nothing to do with that. The "Holland" comes from my wife, Mary Holland-Russell, who is not Dutch-- the Irish last name of her ancestors was changed to "Holland" when the English couldn't pronounce it. As for why we combined it with the German "spiele", back when we first started talking about having a board game company, years ago, we were looking at doing Euro-style games, and we thought it'd be funny (probably only to us) to have a company name that sounded like an overseas outfit. For whatever reason, we kept the name even after we decided to focus on wargames (and historically-influenced pol/mil/economics games).

Quote:

for distribution you could approach Hexasim in France and UdoGrebeGames in Germany to have a wider availability here in Europe.

Thanks for this. We'll definitely reach out to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Congrats guys!

ltmurnau wrote:

:blush: It's definitely the least wargame-y of the offerings so far--then again, as a pure conflict sim, the opium wars wouldn't be that interesting of a subject. But, the wars get really interesting through an economic and political lens.

That's why I am looking forward to it.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Congrats guys!

ltmurnau wrote:

blush It's definitely the least wargame-y of the offerings so far--then again, as a pure conflict sim, the opium wars wouldn't be that interesting of a subject.

I know that as a publisher I'm a little biased, but-- it's a great game, and one that I'm very excited about bringing to people's tables. It might be less "wargamey", but I think the market has a much higher interest these days for multiplayer pol-mil games, and it's definitely one we want to cater to alongside our hex-and-counter style games. There's a very nice article in "Zones of Control" that makes a strong argument for applying multiplayer asymmetries to even "traditional" military conflicts, written by two very smart guys, Brian Train and Volko Ruhnke.

(I'm even working on a pol-mil non-wargamey game myself, a four-way asymmetrical contest about the last years of the late Roman Empire between the Legions, the Senate, the East, and the Early Church.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
https://books.google.ca/books?id=hckCDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA513&lpg=P...

(Google Books so it's missing a few pages, but you'll get the gist)

We like asymmetry.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make us proud! (no pressure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Let me know if I can update The Scheldt Campaign Vassal module in the future with the new artwork (or if you want it taken down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Congrats! Let me know if I can update The Scheldt Campaign Vassal module in the future with the new artwork (or if you want it taken down).

We would be honored to have your wonderful Vassal implementation updated with the new artwork. If you send an email to hollandspiele at gmail dot com, Mary will be able to get you any files that you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your new company!

I appreciate your vision and love for the hobby and I will certainly keep you on my gaming radar. I like that you focus on great designers for great prices (Brian Train and Cole Wehrle are fantastic choices for your early catalog!).

Price and uncertainty/unfamiliarity has prevented me from exploring some of the smaller publishers. I was just never sure I'd be getting what I was paying for. Many of the designs for these smaller companies have only 6-20 ratings on BGG. Small wargames publishers are a niche within a niche within a niche. Being a relative newcomer to the wargaming front, I don't fully know how to gauge game quality given limited information online, so I generally default to games by the likes of GMT, MMP, and Worthington. I think lower price tags with great designer pedigrees will lower some of my inhibitions.

I'm particularly excited about An Infamous Traffic, and will also likely grab The Scheldt Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No David, please don't take it down!

I would like to see it with the new artwork, and thank you very much!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
tomrussell wrote:
The "Holland" comes from my wife, Mary Holland-Russell, who is not Dutch-- the Irish last name of her ancestors was changed to "Holland" when the English couldn't pronounce it.

Yep, Holland can definitely indicate Irish extraction.

I'm 1/4 Montreal Holland, the family originally from Galway ca. 1837.

I do not know what the original Irish name was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
tomrussell wrote:
The "Holland" comes from my wife, Mary Holland-Russell, who is not Dutch-- the Irish last name of her ancestors was changed to "Holland" when the English couldn't pronounce it.

O'Dutchy ?

Hadn't heard of The Scheldt Campaign before, as it's basically my backyard, I'll check it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Congratulations and good luck with this new venture. My very best wishes!

Are silhouettes for board game covers going to be a bit of a trademark for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
tomrussell wrote:

Yep, Mary's folks were both from Canada. (Her father in fact served with the Toronto Scots during the campaign to clear the Scheldt.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Congratulations and good luck with this new venture. My very best wishes!

Are silhouettes for board game covers going to be a bit of a trademark for you?

What we really want are very stylish, and very distinctive, covers. Sometimes that will call for a silhouette, and sometimes not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a look at the map of The Scheldt Campaign and must say that I found the toponymical names a bit of a mess with a mix of English, Dutch, old-spelling Dutch, Frenh and even German. If this is something that can still be fixed, I'll be glad to help out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - good luck Tom and Mary! You guys have been great to work with and it looks like you're off to a great start here. Brian's game looks very nice and Steve at Blue Panther does wonderful work. I'll be ordering The Scheldt Campaign game for sure.

Best wishes on the new venture!

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thanks for the introduction. Very appreciated I was not aware of your company.

The Scheldt Campaign? A must buy for me: My granfather fought in this one as an Infantry officer (Canadian Army). And yes, he was quite a joker.

Edit: Game ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Carl!

What regiment was your grandfather in?
I dedicated this game to my old unit, the Canadian Scottish Regiment, which won three battle honours in this campaign as part of the 3rd Division.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.