Kingdom Builder» Forums » General

Subject: Playing with 80 Settlements each ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I recently bought a set of 40 settlements in each color from spielmaterial.de, for the purpose of playing games with 80 settlements per player. Mainly for 2-player games.

I always found there wasn't enough settlements, especially when there were alot of special actions and nomad tiles in a game that allowed players to put extra settlements on the board.

This annoyed me so much that I would purposely choose to play with only the special action and nomade tiles that let you move pieces on the board or gave you other bonuses besides putting extra settlements down.

Has anyone else ever had any experience playing with extra settlements per player? Any advise on setup, or thoughts on how it went?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played "mega" games using 60 settlements per player and 6 board sectors. The scores are generally higher, as is the frustration level if a player doesn't get to enough/any tokens. Overall, pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the finite number of settlements as an important game constraint. "High level" play involves trying to conserve your settlements--not to the point where you'll get caught with unplayed ones (when playing against players trying to go out rapidly), but to maximize the score per settlement, rather than the score per turn.

Just the same, a 60- or 80-settlement game with two players can help to invite the sort of contests for board placement that are more likely at higher player counts. So I could see it being fun that way. Oh, and I guess if someone does decide to "race" with placement location tiles, it could make a proportionately bigger difference to the player who is caught with, e.g. 15 unplayed settlements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually grab placement tiles and try to race to the end of the game. I think it's an important part of the game design, but YMMV.

I suppose you could play some number of rounds exactly. Twelve would be good. I think it would take something out of the game, but again YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I usually grab placement tiles and try to race to the end of the game.

It's a viable strategy, but not the only one. I routinely beat people who focus on it. In any case, the threat is a key element of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
WBuchanan wrote:
Has anyone else ever had any experience playing with extra settlements per player? Any advise on setup, or thoughts on how it went?

The game originally gave each player 50 settlements. It worked fine.

Aside from saving on components, the idea to cutting it down to 40 was to end the game before you run out of things to do. I continue to think that was a good change, but as always encourage people to play whatever variants they like. With 80 settlements, I would try making the board bigger too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
donaldx wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

The game originally gave each player 50 settlements. It worked fine.

Aside from saving on components, the idea to cutting it down to 40 was to end the game before you run out of things to do. I continue to think that was a good change, but as always encourage people to play whatever variants they like. With 80 settlements, I would try making the board bigger too.

I should add, I'm not sure that adding all 80 is the right number of settlements to play with, but I did get another complete set of settlements in each color.

I'll have to play around with what number feels right between 40-80. I'm a sucker for games that are a little longer than intended (You should see what we do with Carcassonne for example!).

I look forwarding to playing with special action, and nomad tiles, that add settlements to the board, and still feeling like the game isn't going to fast for my own personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Moon 420 wrote:
I have played "mega" games using 60 settlements per player and 6 board sectors. The scores are generally higher, as is the frustration level if a player doesn't get to enough/any tokens. Overall, pretty fun.

I have done the exact same thing, using extra houses from Power Grid and I loved playing it large like that. 80 houses seems like too many based on my experience. Certainly with just 4 boards. And to me the challenge is playing with the tokens you get. Stables and Pirate Ship and Camels are cool, but IMHO can sometimes make it too easy. I like having the constraints of a "difficult" board.

Edited for an unfortunate type of the word "ship."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.